George Evans - signed for Millwall

Heisenberg

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’d sell to be honest. His distribution is decent enough, but he’s far too error prone imo and looks out of his depth at times when played at CB. I’d want at least a million for him though.

But we are very short in central defence as it is, I think we need him as back up unless we are able to bring someone else decent in....I think he has done ok on the whole when in central defence, not a midfield player....

We need to keep him, an honest pro and a flexible utility player, he does a decent job whenever he is asked and can cover centre half or defensive midfield, and would do a job at full back if we needed him to. We need more like him. Reminds me of Peter Daniel/Rob Hindmarch. He quietly gets on with it, no frills and fairly relible.

If they come back with a bigger offer it will be a good test of Derby's current cash situation for sure. I bet he is not on big wages, maybe £10-15k, but not sure if he can currently be described as a fringe player. Its also great to have a utility player on the bench.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But we are very short in central defence as it is, I think we need him as back up unless we are able to bring someone else decent in....I think he has done ok on the whole when in central defence, not a midfield player....

Agree we’re short in that position, will need a CB in either way up imo.

33 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Utility player, type  of player needed to cover injuries and loss of form.

As I said above, I quite rate him...but 'vultures circling'? More another Champ club seeing potential in a bloke who doesn't play every week and chancing a bid at decent money?

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

Rowett's favourite formation is 6-3-1. He can always use another centre back/defensive midfielder.

A swoop for the versatile Evans might be an indication that he wants to be a bit more expansive and use a revolutionary new 5.5-3.5-1 formation.

2 hours ago, California Ram. said:

All about who’s coming in. If we’ve got solid centre back choices coming then it makes sense for us and him to join the Derby veterans team (Bennett, Pearce, Malone) 

Millwall and Bristol City should not treat us as a feeder club. Unless it suits us of course.

Are there no academy centrebacks who might make the step up? Was a time when it seemed a really strong area of the academy, but that was long ago. I still find it galling we let Derby-born Rams fan Jamaal Lascelles slip through the net to the gumps and then on. Sometimes you need to give a young player a chance. Maybe Ethan Wassall can yet surprise people (seriously)? It's his 23rd birthday tomorrow so surely it's now or never.

I've always rated Evans and would play him ahead of Wisdom, but Rooney has clearly backed Wisdom instead. Given our desperate financial situation I'd take a fee for Evans given our centreback cover comes in the form of Bielik, Forsyth, Buchanan and then academy kids. Beggars can't be choosers and we seem beggars at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

We’re becoming the football equivalent of eBay. 
Cheap bargains galore, some in good condition - others we’ll also pay the transport costs. 

Are we? By rejecting low-ball bids? 

ridiculously over dramatic nonsensical comment. Carry on ?

Evans is alright in a back three, he doesn't offer enough in midfield when we have bielik & bird already in that position. Also not strong enough in the air to be in a proper back two. 

If we sell though we have zero cover at CB with Davies injured unless we start playing fozzy there again. 

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Are there no academy centrebacks who might make the step up? Was a time when it seemed a really strong area of the academy, but that was long ago. I still find it galling we let Derby-born Rams fan Jamaal Lascelles slip through the net to the gumps and then on. Sometimes you need to give a young player a chance. Maybe Ethan Wassall can yet surprise people (seriously)? It's his 23rd birthday tomorrow so surely it's now or never.

I've always rated Evans and would play him ahead of Wisdom, but Rooney has clearly backed Wisdom instead. Given our desperate financial situation I'd take a fee for Evans given our centreback cover comes in the form of Bielik, Forsyth, Buchanan and then academy kids. Beggars can't be choosers and we seem beggars at the moment.

I can't see Wassall or Bateman (both 22) ever making the step up to Championship football. They have the right sort of personality to make a Football League career for themselves. Neither have the same potential of Rawson (24) who, in my opinion, is one of the best CBs in L2 and will likely step up to L1 next season for a good comparison. 

I have a feeling Minkley (20) could go the way of the two above if he doesn't get first team experience soon. Seems very 'average' at everything

Cashin (19) is a very good defender and seemed like a key player in the U18 title winning side and UEFA Youth League. However, he picked up a serious injury in the summer and supposedly was only offered a 6 month deal prior to that. Hasn't played for the U23s yet and I get the impression he never will.

Solomon (18) - The most likely contender to make the step up. Has the pace to play the high line and decent enough on the ball, but hasn't developed physically enough to handle physical Championship forwards. Probably another year or two from being ready. it's worth noting he is still only a 2nd year scholar (2nd year in the U18s)

Jinkinson (18) - Another 2nd year scholar and only recently made his first appearance for the U23s and his inexperience shows. Chorley seemed to target him in the cup.

Rutt (17) - A first year scholar who played a number of games for the U18s last season but only played once this season (presumably injury). He's the one I feel has the best chance of making it as a Championship CB but that won't be for at least another 2 years. Probably the most complete CB we have based on my limited viewings.

I'd be very nervous about going into the 2nd half of the season without a proper 3rd choice CB in the squad. Forsyth and Buchanan are needed at LB. We could probably cope for the odd game with Forsyth at CB but that would leave us without a senior defender on the bench (assuming one of Clarke and Wisdom is injured/suspended). Bielik is needed in midfield  and we only have 5 players for those 3 positions as it is.

Archived