Frank Lampard

David

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

If, as you say, Frank knew how Chelsea and their owner operate, how can he have also have been naive?

I suspect he knew exactly what the likely outcome would be when he took the job, and a few more years of experience with Derby (or anywhere else) would not alter that outcome one jot - look at the calibre of managers they have hired and fired over the last decade.

When its your dream job you take it when it's offered. It might never have come round again.

He could have turned it down, stayed with Derby and seen his playing resources dry up (as has happened since the summer of 2019), in which case I doubt he'd have been in line for the job now.

He was naive to think he was ready for such a big job and could succeed where far more established managers have failed - keeping Roman happy.

At the end of the day, if you are an inexperienced manager, you work your way up and you bide your time. If Frank had progressed us as a club in the same way Nuno has done with Wolves and taken his lessons, rolled with the punches and taken the bumps and bruises along the way, he would have been far better placed to take on the Chelsea job.

If it’s your dream job, surely you want to do that job to the best of your ability and give yourself the best platform for success? So surely you take that job when you are at the peak of your powers and have considerable experience and know how behind you? 12 months of managerial experience was never likely to be enough.

There is a constant churn of managers at Chelsea. Tuchel will probably last less than two years too. Of course the opportunity would have come around if he had shown his qualities over time.

He tried to run before he could walk, and now I would imagine he is back to square one. He’ll have to take on a project like Brighton and grow the club.

10 minutes ago, David said:

Can’t blame or credit him for the signings, that’s a club where players are thrown on your desk to work with 

Yep maybe but when you’ve got to integrate a guy who in my opinion they overpaid for in a big way the manager must  have some input as to whether he’s going to fit. It’s not to blame frank completely as I was a supporter of both his appointment here and his tenure - I agreed with Jamie carragher on sky last week I think it was when he said franks lack of managerial experience left him too exposed 

8 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

You’ve gotta think his next managerial job will be a big step down - don’t think he’s in a great position 

I think he's done enough to tempt lower to middling PL clubs. Don't think he'll get a top job again.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he replaced Bruce at the Toon....

That's the sort of thing.

43 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

He was naive to think he was ready for such a big job and could succeed where far more established managers have failed - keeping Roman happy.

At the end of the day, if you are an inexperienced manager, you work your way up and you bide your time. If Frank had progressed us as a club in the same way Nuno has done with Wolves and taken his lessons, rolled with the punches and taken the bumps and bruises along the way, he would have been far better placed to take on the Chelsea job.

If it’s your dream job, surely you want to do that job to the best of your ability and give yourself the best platform for success? So surely you take that job when you are at the peak of your powers and have considerable experience and know how behind you? 12 months of managerial experience was never likely to be enough.

There is a constant churn of managers at Chelsea. Tuchel will probably last less than two years too. Of course the opportunity would have come around if he had shown his qualities over time.

He tried to run before he could walk, and now I would imagine he is back to square one. He’ll have to take on a project like Brighton and grow the club.

But in fairness there wouldn't be many people who turned down the chance of working with better players, having more money to spend, earning more money, and being able to live at home with their Mrs, regardless if they thought they were ready for it.

The only way you could see any manager seeing out his contract with Roman is if they won the Prem and champions league every year, and commented that he is the best chairman, of the best football club ever, as every press conference...

I think at the end of the day Lampard knew the risks of the Chelsea job but in his eyes he couldn't turn it down that's understandable but there's no sentiment with Roman Abramovich keep winning matches your ok if not your sacked, I think Lampard wasn't experienced enough as a manager to be there boss. It will be interesting to see where his next job will be, maybe abroad. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Me neither. Find it all a little bizarre really.

Left for his dream job, as we all would.

The protracted departure was not his own doing, that was Chelsea haggling with Sarri and dragging there feet.

Fans demanding he addressed the rumours, he couldn’t come out and say yes I want the Chelsea job before having a contract under his nose. 

I mean Mel confirmed all this himself, felt the need to come out and defend him, yet McClaren is hailed as some kind of god around here who was sacked. Go figure.

Oh and just to put it out there, I would love a body like Lampard’s, and I suspect all those running the fat memes are nowhere near as fit and healthy looking behind the keyboards.

Frank won’t come back to Derby, England will be his next job and he will be suited to it perfectly. Just needs to bring someone in with him that can work with the defence, his time at both Derby and Chelsea highlighted this as his weakness.

Clever bloke though, won’t need me sitting here and pointing it out.

He is Tim Sherwood with A Levels.

Cant take credit for that description it was on the Football Ramble ages ago but absolutely sums him up.

Whilst we can see he wasn’t ready, it’s a measure of self-confidence or even delusion that he thought he was ready. Some of us said Rooney wasn’t ready for the Derby job, but Rooney’s own mindset and self-confidence would lead him to think he was. 

Back to Pam Lard, all his friends and family helped him think he was ready! They are culpable in his delusion.