Frank Lampard

Day

12 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

But they did hire Solskjaer whose record wasn't good at all. I could see it happening if they sacked someone mid season and then hired Rooney as Caretaker until the end of the season to see how he'd do, like they did with Solskjaer. 

Yeah, probably if they sacked him mid-season and there wasn't any available high-profile managers. If they have more of a choice I couldn't see them hiring anyone who'd require as much time as Solskjaer has, I don't think a club the size of United can afford to go for "young and unproven" more than once a decade. 

What an entirely foreseeable situation. It seems the only person who couldn’t see it was Frank himself.

He was so naive in taking the Chelsea job. He should have stayed here and grown with the club. Getting us promoted and re-established in the PL would have reflected far better on him as a manager.

For such a seemingly intelligent bloke, the lack of common sense and long-term thinking was astounding.

He knows exactly how both Chelsea as a club and Roman as an owner operate so he should have recognised that the moment he stopped hitting club targets, he would be at risk.

If no protection, time or patience was afforded to managers like Mourinho, Ancelotti and Conte, why would Roman treat him any differently?

10 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

What an entirely foreseeable situation. It seems the only person who couldn’t see it was Frank himself.

He was so naive in taking the Chelsea job. He should have stayed here and grown with the club. Getting us promoted and re-established in the PL would have reflected far better on him as a manager.

For such a seemingly intelligent bloke, the lack of common sense and long-term thinking was astounding.

He knows exactly how both Chelsea as a club and Roman as an owner operate so he should have recognised that the moment he stopped hitting club targets, he would be at risk.

If no protection, time or patience was afforded to managers like Mourinho, Ancelotti and Conte, why would Roman treat him any differently?

We'd have sacked him sooner than Chelsea did.

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If, as you say, Frank knew how Chelsea and their owner operate, how can he have also have been naive?

I suspect he knew exactly what the likely outcome would be when he took the job, and a few more years of experience with Derby (or anywhere else) would not alter that outcome one jot - look at the calibre of managers they have hired and fired over the last decade.

When its your dream job you take it when it's offered. It might never have come round again.

He could have turned it down, stayed with Derby and seen his playing resources dry up (as has happened since the summer of 2019), in which case I doubt he'd have been in line for the job now.

Edited by StarterForTen

22 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

If, as you say, Frank knew how Chelsea and their owner operate, how can he have also have been naive?

I suspect he knew exactly what the likely outcome would be when he took the job, and a few more years of experience with Derby (or anywhere else) would not alter that outcome one jot - look at the calibre of managers they have hired and fired over the last decade.

When its your dream job you take it when it's offered. It might never have come round again.

He could have turned it down, stayed with Derby and seen his playing resources dry up (as has happened since the summer of 2019), in which case I doubt he'd have been in line for the job now.

As an already multi millionaire it matters not a jot financially or career wise.  Odds of being sacked as a football manager are high it comes with the job.  Yep it was probably too soon but he could have waited forever for the right moment that never would arrive.  Your summary is spot on

15 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I certainly wouldn't.  Taking the Leeds 2nd leg out of the equation, were we really that good over the season, especially when Mount was injured?  

Take key players out of any team and they will struggle regardless of who’s manager 

2 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

He really did have something about him. Funny but I don’t wish him any ill  will. Managers come and go. I liked him. 

Me neither. Find it all a little bizarre really.

Left for his dream job, as we all would.

The protracted departure was not his own doing, that was Chelsea haggling with Sarri and dragging there feet.

Fans demanding he addressed the rumours, he couldn’t come out and say yes I want the Chelsea job before having a contract under his nose. 

I mean Mel confirmed all this himself, felt the need to come out and defend him, yet McClaren is hailed as some kind of god around here who was sacked. Go figure.

Oh and just to put it out there, I would love a body like Lampard’s, and I suspect all those running the fat memes are nowhere near as fit and healthy looking behind the keyboards.

Frank won’t come back to Derby, England will be his next job and he will be suited to it perfectly. Just needs to bring someone in with him that can work with the defence, his time at both Derby and Chelsea highlighted this as his weakness.

Clever bloke though, won’t need me sitting here and pointing it out.