Frank Lampard

Day

I liked Lampard when he was Derby manager. Just didn't like the way he dithered about the Chelsea job at the end, that ruined our pre-season.

It's interesting to note that Wayne Rooney (19 points) has secured more points from his first 12 match as Derby manager than Lampard got (18 points), remembering that Lampard had the luxury of having the likes of Mount, Wilson, Tomori, Keogh etc to choose from. 

Crazy of them to take him as a Manager, after just one (failed) season of managing. Classic case of the heart ruling the head that kind of thinking needs to stay on the terraces that is why we turn up week after week. However that logic should never be anywhere near team selection, management or the board room.    

Edited by Maxwell Baxter
typo

8 minutes ago, ram59 said:

A bit of poetic justice all round, between him and Chelsea, they royally screwed us over with the protracted move 18 months ago. No respect was paid to Derby whatsoever, we didn't even receive any help in the loan department afterwards.

He needed to serve a decent apprenticeship before taking on a job like that, not one lucky season with Derby made to look better because of a large number of worldy goals from Wilson.

He should have built something at Derby and given himself a better shot at Chelsea a couple of years down the line. Lets face it, chelsea never hang on to a manager for very long. Now, his reputation is tarnished and he will find it difficult to get another club.

Chelsea, in the meantime have wasted a couple of hundred million quid in the transfer market and ruined the reputation of  one of their 'greats'.

Totally agree with you, he should have waited, he was close with us and with his contacts he’d have had another decent year is suspect had he stayed, probably Fik would have done too, who knows who else we would have got, all speculative now. He just couldn’t resist though could he, it was his “dream” job.

Agree too that they screwed us, with little respect, we did milk them for money, just got hung out to dry on our next season planning; so I find it hard to have much sympathy.

He’ll be back in the media, if nothing else and whilst he may lose some shine, I still think most Chelsea fans will remember him for the player he was. You have to think of Roy Mac and Toddy, neither were a huge managerial success for us but they were still playing greats and it’s pretty enshrined in our history they were.

One thing nobody mentions is Jody, I hope he has a role somewhere because he’s a decent coach and he still followed us on social media after they had gone.

19 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I think it's harsh, it's his first bad run. They never give managers time these days especially at that club. Disgusting really. That being said, he did probably go there too soon. Maybe he lost the dressing room. What next for Frank?

I agree it is harsh after one bad spell. Olly at Man U was went through a bad patch and speculation that he was for the chop. They stuck by him and look where they are now.

Trouble is Ambramovic is hard nosed and won't hang around. 

However I also agree this job came too early for Frank and he knew what he was getting into

Probably a mistake in the long run for him to go o Chelsea. He should have built his reputation more before joining them to have a better chance of getting another club after the inevitable Chelsea sacking. He's probably going to have to go back to the Championship.

I can see the exact thing happening with Rooney and Man United.

Some times you should be careful of what you wish for,lasted as long most recent managers at the club though.Don't really see why the urgency to get rid before end of season as no one available of any real consequence unless they want to poach Rooney?£10 mill fee and mount back or they can fooooooook off?

4 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Probably a mistake in the long run for him to go o Chelsea. He should have built his reputation more before joining them to have a better chance of getting another club after the inevitable Chelsea sacking. He's probably going to have to go back to the Championship.

So your saying when Rooney goes we get Lampard back??

3 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I don't think the same will happen with Rooney, at least not as soon as it did with Lampard. It'd take a very similar set of circumstances - United being under an embargo, having a season without Champions League - for it to happen. Can't see United's next appointment being anything other than an established manager, so Rooney would at least have to have gotten Derby promoted first, and I'll take that. 

I say this knowing that I've been wrong about almost every prediction I've ever made regarding our managers.

On 08/01/2021 at 17:33, David said:

Southgate will leave England in the summer after the Euros, Lampard will take over. 

Called this when he went there, the timing is lining up perfectly 

And what's this week's winning numbers on the lottery?