Derby County on this day

derby8

3 minutes ago, derby8 said:

29 January 1983, Derby County 2 Chelsea 1, Wilson 2, FAC.

Remember it well after beating Forest in the previous round, defeating Chelsea and going out to a Norman Whiteside goal against Manchester United in Round 5.

We left the game a few minutes early as my dad could see trouble brewing in the Ossie end. Quite shocked to see how many seats Chelsea ripped out on the news later. If memory serves, I think Leeds did something similar the previous week.

On 26/01/2021 at 21:43, Robert Earnshaws Workrate said:

Still remember that Paterson goal before the fog came down. Absolute screamer.

The Burnley fans never stopped singing that night including all the way through half-time and after the game was called off.

Last game for Derby?  I think he totally knackered his knee that night and his rocket of a goal didn't even count . Bad night 

3 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Remember it well after beating Forest in the previous round, defeating Chelsea and going out to a Norman Whiteside goal against Manchester United in Round 5.

We left the game a few minutes early as my dad could see trouble brewing in the Ossie end. Quite shocked to see how many seats Chelsea ripped out on the news later. If memory serves, I think Leeds did something similar the previous week.

The following week we were at Chelsea in the league and I went with about 50 Hardy Rams. 

I think the atmosphere can best be described as brooding and tense..... 

3 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Was at the Manure game. My first visit to the BBG....convinced the goal was offside but it wasn’t......got teased a lot by some Manure fans on the way back on the train that were heading back south too ?

On 25/01/2021 at 11:03, Richard Dastard Lee said:

The Liverpool game was my 18th birthday, I hadn't got a ticket but a neighbour who was a steward gave me a complimentary ticket, only problem was it was in the away end. It was at the height of the hooligan problem but I still decided to go anyway.

Blimey - what did he get you for Christmas, a bottle of arsenic?

54 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Was at the Manure game. My first visit to the BBG....convinced the goal was offside but it wasn’t......got teased a lot by some Manure fans on the way back on the train that were heading back south too ?

It was the biggest crowd I had been part of at the BBG (33,000). I was stood at the back of the Pop side level with Whiteside when he scored the winner. Crushing disappointment  as it was such an eagerly awaited match in an other wise crap season.  

4 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

That game v United must have been the last time we had 30,000 + in the Baseball Ground?

Without checking I seem to recall a gate of 33,000, it was absolutely packed solid on the Vulcan St Popside.

I can’t remember us having that many in again before the ground changes reduced capacity.

just seen your update re the 33,000 !

Edited by uttoxram75

4 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

It was the biggest crowd I had been part of at the BBG (33,000). I was stood at the back of the Pop side level with Whiteside when he scored the winner. Crushing disappointment  as it was such an eagerly awaited match in an other wise crap season.  

I was only 15 and couldn’t move, pushed around all over the place. Started off behind the goal and ended up by the corner flag...

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I was only 15 and couldn’t move, pushed around all over the place. Started off behind the goal and ended up by the corner flag...

I must have been the same age and went with my brother and dad. Don't remember being able to see much of the game as it was so packed. The walk back to the car near the old barracks was miserable hearing the celebrating Man U fans who were still in the ground.

1 hour ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I must have been the same age and went with my brother and dad. Don't remember being able to see much of the game as it was so packed. The walk back to the car near the old barracks was miserable hearing the celebrating Man U fans who were still in the ground.

We must have been parked near  you that day. We couldn't get on the trains at Utch because they were full of mancs so we drove up.

There was 4 or 5 car loads of us parked on the streets near the top of Sinfin Lane/Normanton Barracks. We grabbed some chips and a can or two of beer before making our way back to the cars and bumped into a minibus of United fans parked nearby. They were a bit gobby and giving verbals to Derby fans. A brief altercation took place until they realised how many of us there was congregating and they soon disappeared. 

It was supposed to be more sensible than going on the train!

1 hour ago, derby8 said:

30 January 2010, Derby County 1 Nottingham Forest 0, Hulse.

I was just having a watch of this. My fb memories from 2010 mentioned feeling too tense and then there was a COYR at the final whistle ?

We were certainly a threat from set pieces that day!

P.s how good does that crowd noise sound? ?

Edited by abertawe_ram

3 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

I was just having a watch of this. My fb memories from 2010 mentioned feeling too tense and then there was a COYR at the final whistle ?

We were certainly a threat from set pieces that day!

P.s how good does that crowd noise sound? ?

Great day. Yeah, the noise when we scored and at the end was deafening. The Rams/Forest fixtures around that period were always 'eventful'.. ?

22 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I was in the Ossie End for the Leeds riot (truly terrifying, non stop fighting, seat throwing all game) and I think it was reopened after being a family seating area for the first time that day. Closed after for the rest of the season! Sat in the C-Stand against Chelsea and had a cracking view of their seat smashing tantrums. That little cup run and the subsequent great escape from relegation under Peter Taylor and Roy Mac felt like we were on the way back.. Only for it all to go massively pear shaped the following season ?