Derby County on this day

derby8

1 hour ago, derby8 said:

26 March 1994, WBA 1 Derby 2, Johnson, Simpson.

Haha, just had a flashback to a bit of a fracas outside Smethwick mosque that day before the match....small group of Derby and West Brom having a brawl whilst being observed by a few of the mosque faithful. It all seems a bit surreal now wondering what they were thinking watching a dozen drunk English gentlemen in broad daylight squaring up at the foot of the mosque steps. 

29 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

You have to give our recruitment team credit - they didn't forget Andy King or indeed Chris wheale from that stellar Leicester outfit.... ?

There's a lot of ex and future players going on between the two in that game. Howard, Oakley, Powell (these 3 got excellent receptions I seem to remember) and Savage.

Think I heard Waghorn's name too, maybe around that time that we started being linked with him in every single transfer window until eventually signing him about 5 years later!  

75 years ago today...

27th March 1946

FA Cup Semi Final Replay

Maine Rd, Manchester.  att 80,407*

Rams v Birmingham City:

After a 1-1 draw at Hillsborough, this replay remains goalless and level at 90mins, but Derby score 4... count 'em... 4... in extra time, with 2 goals each from Peter Doherty and Jack Stamps.

We're the famous Derby County, and we're going to Wemberlee... WEMBERLEE... WEMBERLEE...  ??

*I believe this still remains the biggest midweek attendance outside of Wembley, for a domestic match between two English clubs.  (Stand to be corrected!)

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

75 years ago today...

27th March 1946

FA Cup Semi Final Replay

Rams v Birmingham City:

*I believe this still remains the biggest midweek attendance outside of Wembley, for a domestic match between two English clubs.  (Stand to be corrected!)

Leeds would have taken more...?

On 27/03/2021 at 08:33, Mucker1884 said:

75 years ago today...

27th March 1946

FA Cup Semi Final Replay

Rams v Birmingham City:

After a 1-1 draw at Hillsborough, this replay remains goalless and level at 90mins, but Derby score 4... count 'em... 4... in extra time, with 2 goals each from Peter Doherty and Jack Stamps.

We're the famous Derby County, and we're going to Wemberlee... WEMBERLEE... WEMBERLEE...  ??

80k flat caps...now that's old, good football.

On 29/03/2021 at 08:56, derby8 said:

29 March 1975, Derby 5 Luton 0, Davies 5.

On the way to the League Championship.

13 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Also 2 disallowed.

Both wrongly disallowed. One was a header when wee Archie headed it towards the goal but, wanting another, Roger jumped from behind him to apply the final touch, only to be given offside. And if I recall the other was a poor handball decision. Was at the game and have talked with Roger about it (obviously). But my recollection is watching it again on Star Soccer, so it's always seemed odd to me that no footage supposedly exists. I'd love to see it again.