Surreal

drgoodspeak

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Truckle said:

Our future fans are in the far East, the US and anywhere else where Wayne Rooney may very well be one of the few English names they know.  We may be a circus right now, but everyone loves a circus and I can't see the constant media attention doing us any harm at all globally. 

If we could only get that nice Mr Beckham involved somehow.

What utter rubbish. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes you're right I just find it hard to swallow sometimes total blinkered misguided loyalty to someone in general - not directed at anyone on here per se and is my own personal failing. 

Lol. It's why I mostly used to stay off the politics thread! ?

I really feel Rooney could be the man. I started out thinking previous managers (since Mac) could be, but no-one really convinced me. I'm sure that there will be ups and downs but he's shown some impressive thinking for such a young manager - lets hope we can succeed together, I couldn't stand another 'Clough to F*rest' scenario, that would finish me I reckon!!! ? #COYR

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

In a forum where everything is about opinions how are you able to categorically assert your opinion as fact? As you are asserting that I am wrong so by definition your take on the subject is that therefore your opinion, and it is that, is 100% factually correct?

Hmmmmm.....I would suggest that this forum provides a blend of both opinion and fact. Therefore your categoric statement that the everything on this forum is about opinions, is merely you asserting your opinion as fact. Just saying. ?

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

We have a very well-run Club which will be once again competing at the top before too long. Events beyond our control have had an impact but these things will be sorted.

A club that is under a transfer embargo and can't pay its players on time doesn't strike me as "very well-run"

Fingers crossed this all gets sorted quickly for everyone's sake, but I think if you asked any football fan across the country to describe Derby County Football Club, "well-run" is not a phrase you'd be hearing much!

1 hour ago, Truckle said:

Three years ago we were managed by Gary Rowett - three years ago!  The change in our profile has been little short of bonkers  since then and I reckon, from a long term business perspective, it has been an inspired strategy.  Sure we are skint right now and everyone hates us... but.

The people who hate us are fans of other clubs who, from a commercial sense are never going to buy a shirt, get a Rams TV subscription or in any way contribute to our bottom line.  Our future fans are in the far East, the US and anywhere else where Wayne Rooney may very well be one of the few English names they know.  We may be a circus right now, but everyone loves a circus and I can't see the constant media attention doing us any harm at all globally. 

Pre season friendly in Miami ???

1 hour ago, Truckle said:

The people who hate us are fans of other clubs who, from a commercial sense are never going to buy a shirt, get a Rams TV subscription or in any way contribute to our bottom line.  Our future fans are in the far East, the US and anywhere else where Wayne Rooney may very well be one of the few English names they know.  We may be a circus right now, but everyone loves a circus and I can't see the constant media attention doing us any harm at all globally. 

The club shouldn't be concerned about where our future fans lie it should be intensely preoccupied with curtailing the continued disinfranchisement of our current, local fanbase.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

A club that is under a transfer embargo and can't pay its players on time doesn't strike me as "very well-run"

Fingers crossed this all gets sorted quickly for everyone's sake, but I think if you asked any football fan across the country to describe Derby County Football Club, "well-run" is not a phrase you'd be hearing much!

Perhaps the majority of football fans across the Country react to tabloid press hyperbole? Have you ever bought a house @Nuwtfly? Have you ever bought a house when you have been part of a chain? The existence of a chain makes you vulnerable because you cannot achieve control over other parties and how they might suddenly fail to fulfill on what you thought was an agreement. Does that mean that what you have done is in some way slapdash or ill-thought out. Does that mean that the way you have run your sale is somehow wrong? Perhaps there's a little bit more to this than to say "therefore the whole club is poorly run and a "laughing stock". Perhaps it's a bit more complex and your statements are too quickly and too prematurely adopted? 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Would you call being well run having a revolving door of managers, having to sell, your ground to avoid FFP, having two ET decisions for employees go against you for unfair dismissal, not being able to pay your players wages, engaging with a questionable businessman to sell the club twhom already has been proved not to put their money with their mouth is a well run business?

That's my opinion but whether I am right or wrong in my opinion is not for someone else to say.

I've not argued against that point with you. Whether we are a well run club or not is entirely an opinion, where points could be argued either way. Just correcting you on the point that 2 other clubs sold their ground at the same time as us and Wednesday to avoid failing FFP. 

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

I've not argued against that point with you. Whether we are a well run club or not is entirely an opinion, where points could be argued either way. Just correcting you on the point that 2 other clubs sold their ground at the same time as us and Wednesday to avoid failing FFP. 

OK would it be fairer to say then that the vast majority of league clubs have not had to sell their football grounds as a nebulous way of avoiding FFP restrictions. 

Same point still stands though. 

I do agree that it's about opinions which is why I took exception to the comment that I was wrong twice, which if they were opinions, then is an unfortunate remark to make.

Anyway we move on.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

OK would it be fairer to say then that the vast majority of league clubs have not had to sell their football grounds as a nebulous way of avoiding FFP restrictions. 

Same point still stands though. 

I do agree that it's about opinions which is why I took exception to the comment that I was wrong twice, which if they were opinions, then is an unfortunate remark to make.

Anyway we move on.

The thing is hardly any club owns their ground anymore, even in the Premier league, so that option wasn't open to all teams, I'd be more interested in the percentage of clubs that own their ground and sold it. 

20 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Have you ever bought a house @Nuwtfly? Have you ever bought a house when you have been part of a chain?

No, I have never bought a house and probably never will. But that's a whole different conversation, haha. I understand the example you're trying to make, though. That sales aren't simple transactions between one person and another. That there are so many factors involved and so many ways it can fall through. I get that.

The mistake you're making here is suggesting that I think we're not a "well-run club" solely because of this takeover scenario...

20 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Perhaps it's a bit more complex and your statements are too quickly and too prematurely adopted? 

I'm sure I don't need to go into our recent history as I'm certain that you're perfectly clued up on it - but I will say that the last few years of this club doesn't exactly scream to me that it is the hallmark of a well-run club.

EFL investigations. Escaping points deductions. Selling the stadium to ourselves to avoid breaching FFP rules. Spending wildly beyond our means. Hiring and firing however many managers it has now been. Player amortisation. Financial loopholes. 32Red deals involving players mysteriously wearing the number of our sponsors on the back of their shirt. Two transfer embargos. And now we can't afford to pay the players wages...again!

I'm sorry @Ellafella, but these do not strike me as the actions of a well-run club. That's not to say that MM isn't trying. That he doesn't want what's best for us, etc etc. But it's not a well-run club and it hasn't been for a while, in my opinion.

So, I think the statement I made is pretty fair, despite the obvious complexities, and it certainly isn't prematurely adopted. It's been pretty clear for quite some time.

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

No, I have never bought a house and probably never will. But that's a whole different conversation, haha. I understand the example you're trying to make, though. That sales aren't simple transactions between one person and another. That there are so many factors involved and so many ways it can fall through. I get that.

The mistake you're making here is suggesting that I think we're not a "well-run club" solely because of this takeover scenario...

I'm sure I don't need to go into our recent history as I'm certain that you're perfectly clued up on it - but I will say that the last few years of this club doesn't exactly scream to me that it is the hallmark of a well-run club.

EFL investigations. Escaping points deductions. Selling the stadium to ourselves to avoid breaching FFP rules. Spending wildly beyond our means. Hiring and firing however many managers it has now been. Player amortisation. Financial loopholes. 32Red deals involving players mysteriously wearing the number of our sponsors on the back of their shirt. Two transfer embargos. And now we can't afford to pay the players wages...again!

I'm sorry @Ellafella, but these do not strike me as the actions of a well-run club. That's not to say that MM isn't trying. That he doesn't want what's best for us, etc etc. But it's not a well-run club and it hasn't been for a while, in my opinion.

So, I think the statement I made is pretty fair, despite the obvious complexities, and it certainly isn't prematurely adopted. It's been pretty clear for quite some time.

I stated all of the above in my post recently to support my precise same opinion but you've constructed it far more elequently than I managed to.

Archived