Derby Vs Bristol City 30/1/21 3pm - Matchday thread.

Rev

9 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

My opinions are more of an observation that the road to joining the ‘Rooevolution’ might be more challenging for some based on what I described and also a number of the points you alluded to yourself. If Rooney continues on his current trajectory that will become easier for many and there will be few on the fringe who won’t be able to move past their hang ups.  

Never gonna make everyone like you. I think Cloughie had his detractors. That's the way it goes.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Great result and performance today but without reading the whole thread, I'm sure someones efforts to get the result has probably gone unnoticed. Step forward @archram who braved going behind enemy lines armed only with a Derby scarf. The real hero of today. ??

I for one will contribute to his coach fare to Rotherham. It’s certainly essential travel

But a shout out also for @ramsbottomwhose superstitions have caused his perplexed four legged friend to be walked during each of the last 3 games. 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

I for one will contribute to his coach fare to Rotherham. It’s certainly essential travel

But a shout out also for @ramsbottomwhose superstitions have caused his perplexed four legged friend to be walked during each of the last 3 games. 

Just to clarify @archram is a lady to my knowledge and was at Ashton Gate for her vaccine jab yesterday. I hope I've got that right and it all went well for you @archram and you haven't had any adverse affects. My missus has had the jab due to her job and just had a sore arm for few days after. 

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Think it's very unfair to suggest that posters on here don't like Rooney due to them looking down their noses at him in the social standing pecking order. The only thing that made myself and other posters uncomfortable about Rooney being appointed was the lack of transparency regards the recruitment process. 

Cocu sophisticated and cerebral? Yes his results definitely supported his cerebral approach to the game and would have had us playing in League 1 next season if the experiment hadn't have been quite rightly curtailed. Sophisticated? Don't make me laugh. He projected himself as professional at all times but I would expect this as a minimum in a customer facing role. Rooney doesn't seem to be doing too badly in his interactions with the media as an observation.

I wasn't sold about Rooney from the start but neither was I enamoured with Cocu either but to suggest I considered Rooney an oik is kind of insulting. 

Not sure why you think it’s unfair. Posters have all kind of opinions and my own interpretation of some of those opinions that have been shared have taken a certain view of Rooney the man. Also if they have that view that’s fair enough - I didn’t pass judgement on that but was highlighting that as a possible reason they haven’t jumped on board with Rooney as our manager yet. Perhaps my point wasn’t made well enough and it reads that any one with any doubts about Rooney is included within the points I made. 

1 minute ago, Orphanram said:

Not sure why you think it’s unfair. Posters have all kind of opinions and my own interpretation of some of those opinions that have been shared have taken a certain view of Rooney the man. Also if they have that view that’s fair enough - I didn’t pass judgement on that but was highlighting that as a possible reason they haven’t jumped on board with Rooney as our manager yet. Perhaps my point wasn’t made well enough and it reads that any one with any doubts about Rooney is included within the points I made. 

It's unfair as insinuating some form of class snobbery. 

I've already stated that I for one for example was very hesitant about Rooney being appointed as he was one of the gang of 4(?) who were doing an abysmal job of collectively running the playing side and was then chosen by a non transparent interview process to then become sole manager so didn't sit with me well.

I haven't heard the word oik since I watched the episode Bambi of The Young Ones as an aside.

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Just to clarify @archram is a lady to my knowledge and was at Ashton Gate for her vaccine jab yesterday. I hope I've got that right and it all went well for you @archram and you haven't had any adverse affects. My missus has had the jab due to her job and just had a sore arm for few days after. 

Apologies to @archramand had I been better informed  I’m not sure I would have suggested you piss on the pitch 

Hope you’re well 

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Got to say the players brought in under cocu have in the main been a cut above what we’ve been doing for a few years , echos of clough to maclaren here , if Rooney has an eye for a player we could be in business, really hope we have stumbled on a gem and mel stays a while longer  with him and Rooney getting us up,

I do predict that in the future Rooney will go on to be a far better manager than lampard , you can see already that Rooney is all about team and lampard is all about lampard

Agree with this.  I was pro-Cocu and wanted it to work but he just ran out ideas or steam but one thing he did do was leave a good legacy and foundation.  Not only with his signings but also blooding the academy players and giving them a run of games.

I had my doubts about Rooney but I was clearly wrong - what do I know??!!  He’s clearly got the organised, getting the basics right and, most importantly, playing as team for each other.  They’re playing with more purpose and confidence.  The last three results have given us a good platform to build on.  COYR!!

2 hours ago, Orphanram said:

I think some of the points you make are relevant, although the ending statement in your first paragraph in a forum of opinions Is a tad absolutist. 

My opinions are more of an observation that the road to joining the ‘Rooevolution’ might be more challenging for some based on what I described and also a number of the points you alluded to yourself. If Rooney continues on his current trajectory that will become easier for many and there will be few on the fringe who won’t be able to move past their hang ups.  

I think this comes down to increasing levels of expectation, and more than anything the increasing lack of longevity in the role.

I can’t remember the last time I felt a sense of attachment to the manager of our club. But when you consider the sheer number of managerial changes we’ve had in recent years, is that really a surprise?

It’s a bit like when your mum leaves your dad and has a string of boyfriends. With each one, you are looking at your watch. You know it’s not going to last. It’s a matter of when not if. You know they are not good enough. You know they are only going to get your mum’s hopes up only to let her down or run for the hills later. So you don’t let them in. You keep your distance. And you most definitely don’t share your chips with them.

At this point, for some Derby fans, they have assumed a default position of being impossible to please. They struggle to invest in the manager and warm to them and they consider the manager as easily disposable and replaceable, but perhaps that stems from the hire-and-fire culture that is prevalent at the club and in modern football?

You don’t want to open your heart to someone when you know within 12 months it is highly likely that they will be sacked or actively encouraging advances from other clubs. 

No-one is in the post long enough to prove their worth, to build a genuine connection with the fans, or to develop an affinity for the club.

Rooney is only going through the same tribulations as Cocu, Lampard, Rowett and almost all recent managers of the club. The best way for him to break that cycle is take the time to show the fans he is worth investing in. 

Yes, Derby fans are demanding and mistrusting, but if Rooney shows that he is ready to take the club on a journey and share in the highs and lows together and really build something substantial and not merely see us as a stepping stone, that is half the battle won.

It’s sad to think that the last manager to leave a genuine imprint on the club and to have truly gained the love, trust, respect and universal appreciation of the fans was Jim Smith. That was 20 years ago. Maybe McClaren could have achieved the same given more time.

Given what happened with Lampard and Rowett, it is fair to say Rooney showing he is good enough is one of his challenges, but another is proving this is not just a fleeting romance and he is sincere and in it for the long haul.

4 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Thanks @SteveHowHard? and @kevinhectoring, not many would call me a lady but I’m certainly female! Jab fine yesterday then a couple of hours ago I felt like I’d been hit by a train- total loss of energy, couldn’t lift my spoonful of egg to my lips- retired to bed with paracetamol and ibuprofen. Slept for 2 hours, feeling a bit better now but still without energy. I do sometimes get fatigued since my brain haemorrhage but nothing like this, so I blame AstraZeneca!

I turned on my iPad to see if we’d signed anyone yet!!

9 minutes ago, archram said:

Thanks @SteveHowHard? and @kevinhectoring, not many would call me a lady but I’m certainly female! Jab fine yesterday then a couple of hours ago I felt like I’d been hit by a train- total loss of energy, couldn’t lift my spoonful of egg to my lips- retired to bed with paracetamol and ibuprofen. Slept for 2 hours, feeling a bit better now but still without energy. I do sometimes get fatigued since my brain haemorrhage but nothing like this, so I blame AstraZeneca!

Sorry to hear you're not feeling too well. Hope you feel better soon. Hopefully a couple of decent signings will perk you up. You are a lady and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. ?

18 hours ago, Orphanram said:

I’ve got to agree with you. Quite a few of the posters I think your referring to were generally of the Uber Cocu fraternity. I think it’s difficult for anybody when you publicly commit to a person or a thing and that gets replaced by something you don’t necessarily relate to. In this case the sophistication and cerebral style of Cocu appealed greatly to those who perhaps seen themselves as more intelligent than your normal football fan. I think they see Rooney as a bit of an oik and the guy who replaced someone who they think looks and thinks like they do, a bit like if their Dad was the chemistry teacher and their mum left him for the P.E. teacher.
It will all be ok in the end though.  

Don’t agree with this in the main. Yes I think a few may think that but I think the main problems were the risk of taking on an untested manager.

Personally for me it was the celebrity circus that follows him around (not necessarily all his own making). This clubs been chasing celebrity status for too long recently and I was not keen on trying to continue it by promoting him to manager.

2 hours ago, archram said:

Unfortunately a lot of vaccines can initially make one feel petty poorly. Hopefully after some rest you'll feel a lot better. Some cracking signings tomorrow would doubtless help too. 

18 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Look at Bielik’s injury history and it would tell you he needs handling with care more than most players.

He missed half of last season with us through injury, he missed a third of his loan spell with Charlton through injury, he missed the previous whole season and consequently his half season on loan with Walsall due to injuries too.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s been brilliant since he came back into the side, but perhaps we could have eased him back in and lightened his load.

12 games and playing the full 90 at full intensity again and again in such a short space of time is a big step change from 10 months out injured, especially for a player who has struggled with injuries for years. How well he had coped up to now always seemed too good to be true.

I am simply saying we have taken a risk not doing more to protect him and manage him more carefully, especially considering our experiences with Thorne and Barker in the past.

Obviously, as a player, he just wants to play and make up for lost time and there’s no denying we are better with him in the side. But as a club, surely we sometimes have to think beyond our short term needs and exercise our duty of care.

To quote Steve Nicholson - “you’re wide of the mark” this time (IMO of course) 

Archived