Mel Morris - The Good, The Bad and The Boycie

Mostyn6

Rumours from various media's that we are looking else where for new buyers. Also trying to sell some players to pay wages of staff and players. Hope this is all rumours and on Monday morning the take over is all done and dustered. That (if it happened) would only give us a week to get transfers done.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

As it seems the money has not arrived and Mel has basically told the players to hang on a bit because its coming there can only be a little more time for this to continue. At some point soon Wayne & the players will have to say enough is enough. Once Mel makes other arrangements to pay the players the agreement has gone and legal action (if possible for Mel) will ensue.

I am surprised Mel has let it go on this long but I can only assume he is still anticipating funds at any time. Still not optimistic mind!

The words legal action and Mel Morris in the same sentence makes me shudder with Morris' track record of losing cases. 

On 22/01/2021 at 11:42, Bob Gnarly said:

If the rumours are true that he is unwell, I wouldn't expect him to be vocal about anything.

Rather him take care of himself medically than go on Talksport and tell us the same thing we have been hearing for months. Much more important for him to be healthy if you ask me.

I have been vocal about him communicating with the fans but the rumours about him being ill are increasing so if we take that into account then it’s probably understandable. 

That said there’s a whole executive team that should be more than capable of doing what’s right

49 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

I have been vocal about him communicating with the fans but the rumours about him being ill are increasing so if we take that into account then it’s probably understandable. 

That said there’s a whole executive team that should be more than capable of doing what’s right

We had an executive come out a week ago with an update, whether people believe him or not is their perogative but given the NDA's the club have said as much as they possibly can do.

On 22/01/2021 at 15:07, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The make or break for this deal is linked to paying the players. If there is a signed agreement, as seems the case, that the takeover should have been completed before the December wages were due and that the December wages and wages going forward should be the responsibility of the supposed new owners it is perfectly reasonable that Mel isn't putting his hand in his pocket to pay someone else's bills. HOWEVER... As it seems the money has not arrived and Mel has basically told the players to hang on a bit because its coming there can only be a little more time for this to continue. At some point soon Wayne & the players will have to say enough is enough. Once Mel makes other arrangements to pay the players the agreement has gone and legal action (if possible for Mel) will ensue.

I am surprised Mel has let it go on this long but I can only assume he is still anticipating funds at any time. Still not optimistic mind!

It’s not perfectly reasonable at all he isn’t paying the wages. He is responsible for the financial commitments of the club up until the point he sells the club. If the sale isn’t complete, he is responsible to either make good on the contracts he signed or enter into a legal pathway to release himself of these responsibilities, if he’s unable to pay. He is relying on the goodwill of the players to try and mitigate further financial losses. Goodwill that won’t last much longer I suspect 

5 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

It’s not perfectly reasonable at all he isn’t paying the wages. He is responsible for the financial commitments of the club up until the point he sells the club. If the sale isn’t complete, he is responsible to either make good on the contracts he signed or enter into a legal pathway to release himself of these responsibilities, if he’s unable to pay. He is relying on the goodwill of the players to try and mitigate further financial losses. Goodwill that won’t last much longer I suspect 

I'm as frustrated as the next man with the apparent sale of the club, but it looks like Mel may have been shafted, or at the very least surprised, that the promises from the other side haven't happened within the expected timescale. Given that I only told him to go and get some cash a couple of days ago, he's done pretty well to get it together so quickly! He's even surprised me that he was able to secure emergency funding in a couple of days. I feel for him! It can't be remotely easy dealing with this shipfest. Cut him some slack I think.

On 22/01/2021 at 12:11, SFox1993 said:

You are aware he probably isnt allowed to , might be a NDA with the potential new owners etc

An NDA is essentially about confidentiality. If there is one in place, it wouldn't stop Mr Morris speaking candidly to the clubs supporters. I don't remember Mike Ashley going 'off the radar' during the marathon period of the failed Newcastle Utd takeover (which involved the Sheikh). To suggest that the DCFC chairman is effectively gagged seems a nonsense to me. The lack of communication is a more likely a conscious decision, on the part of the current owner. That's not a criticism, just an observation. There have been reports of ill health, this could also be a factor. 

11 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

We had an executive come out a week ago with an update, whether people believe him or not is their perogative but given the NDA's the club have said as much as they possibly can do.

I understand NDA’s completely, if one is in place and I really do mean if then some of it makes sense.

What doesn’t make sense is Pearce going on Radio Derby and making the situation worse by saying he doesn’t know the details. That’s just increased the fans anxiety over a likely failed deal, you simply can’t keep telling people it’s done, it’s imminent, next Friday etc and then when nothing happens not expect a backlash.

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

Something is very much amiss here.  The soundings coming from the club are very misleading to say the least.

Someone needs to get a grip of this situation fast and get it sorted one way or another.

I'd agree that someone needs to get a grip - though not necessarily someone from the club....

1 hour ago, Shaftesbury st said:

I understand NDA’s completely, if one is in place and I really do mean if then some of it makes sense.

What doesn’t make sense is Pearce going on Radio Derby and making the situation worse by saying he doesn’t know the details. That’s just increased the fans anxiety over a likely failed deal, you simply can’t keep telling people it’s done, it’s imminent, next Friday etc and then when nothing happens not expect a backlash.

My point was you said an executive should come out if Morris cant, and i pointed out that they did in Stephen Pearce.

He will also only be able say so much, even less than Mel. Pearce wont know the details and if he does he shouldnt so wont disclose them in public. Why cant people understand the deal is between the potential buyers & Mel, there will be alot of conversations and details shared between them that Pearce will rightly know nothing about. Of course Pearce will be in some meetings but again he will have to abide by confidentiality.

4 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

My point was you said an executive should come out if Morris cant, and i pointed out that they did in Stephen Pearce.

He will also only be able say so much, even less than Mel. Pearce wont know the details and if he does he shouldnt so wont disclose them in public. Why cant people understand the deal is between the potential buyers & Mel, there will be alot of conversations and details shared between them that Pearce will rightly know nothing about. Of course Pearce will be in some meetings but again he will have to abide by confidentiality.

100% he / they can talk candidly about the process enough to reassure fans. I fully understood your point but Pearce’s comments just weren’t helpful and left more questions than answers.

They must not forget this point, Derby County is at the heart of lots of peoples lives and the community that is Derbyshire as a whole. What a better line than that we all know too well - FOOTBALL WITHOUT FANS IS NOTHING

Archived