Mel Morris - The Good, The Bad and The Boycie

Mostyn6

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

Morris, chirp up! 

It's about time you said something to the fans about this whole debacle.

What's is happening and what are you proposing to do to save the club??

We know you read this forum.

He wouldn't if all threads were as daft as this - neither would i and probably many others.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the rumours are true that he is unwell, I wouldn't expect him to be vocal about anything.

Rather him take care of himself medically than go on Talksport and tell us the same thing we have been hearing for months. Much more important for him to be healthy if you ask me.

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

Morris, chirp up! 

Obviously your post is going to be like a red rag to many... 

Not sure we need a fresh thread but I can't believe many would disagree the situation is getting pretty ridiculous and a little bit more communication wouldn't go amiss. Yep, I know there may be a NDA or whatever but I don't understand why the new prospective owners wouldn't want to be a bit more vocal and open if they are genuinely interested in doing best by the club 

2 minutes ago, Bob Gnarly said:

If the rumours are true that he is unwell, I wouldn't expect him to be vocal about anything.

Rather him take care of himself medically than go on Talksport and tell us the same thing we have been hearing for months. Much more important for him to be healthy if you ask me.

His health is important.  If he is not well, I wish him a speedy recovery

3 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Morris, chirp up! 

If he was to come out and say something I don't think you would believe him, whatever he would say. 

On 19/01/2021 at 21:27, David said:

Only now with hindsight strong opinions are being formed, but I don’t recall them at the time, a few grumbles but the majority seemed happy to go along with the signings after the baron spell of dreaming for Shaun Barker type fees.

I think that's a little patronizing. We were desperate for a benefactor, but have seen how things panned out & unraveled once before with Lionel Pickering. 

As for us under Mel, there were warning signs early on when we were linked with Ross McCormack. We went from not being able to afford £400k to buy him from Cardiff (under Clough), to apparently putting in a bid of around £7m after the play-off defeat in 2014. It seemed ludicrous. 

If you watched how things unfolded at Forest, under Nigel Doughty, you know that they were intimations that they could happen here. Forest went from being chaotic to being more sensibly run - their much reviled Transfer Committee - before bringing in Billy and seeing their costs spiral out of control.  Doughty once made comments on the Forest O.S/their annual report where he took aim at us and how we were run. Three years later, Forest became a mess.

The trouble is, football is now dominated/saturated by money and that distorts things. How could we go from being a club that couldn't afford nominal signings under GSE to one that paid Paul Ince & his wife £700,000, and for what exactly?  The mindset of the club shifted and not for the better. We went from extremes from being excessively prudent to spending big.

Things aren't simply black & white (either praise or criticism of Mel), there are shades of grey. Maybe we should adopt it as a second kit. Mel deserves criticism - why do people buy football clubs? Out of sheer egoism. 

Where was the figure who could have acted as Mel's foil, telling truth to (financial) power?  It wasn't Sam Rush. Where was a representative from the club's fan-base, for instance, like RamsTrust, to sit on the board to voice  concerns? His response, quite legitimate, is why should he? He paid the bills so he should get to call the shots. So the ultimate responsibility falls upon him. Sometimes, it is better to accept, with a bit of humility, that you don't know everything. Look at our current manager, highly lauded in the game, but with someone more experienced above him to give advice (McClaren), and someone alongside him, widely respected (Rosenior). In other words, you cannot do it all by yourself, similarly, in football, which is a team game.

Mel bought the club, too, for good intentions and other factors acted as disruptors, like the pandemic. As said before, he also deserves some sympathy, no one could have planned for such a situation. The loss of matchday income has probably been the tipping point, hence the problem with our paying player wages.

I also think we excuse ourselves as fans, we are just as culpable as anyone with our demise. Unreal expectations (a world where we all demand immediate gratification) and a desperation to be in the PL, the most overrated and irresponsible league in the world IMO. 

I can think of two occasions where the PL has seriously damaged this club (1) 2000 onwards, the panic buys then the ABC loan (2) 11pts, avoiding a second consecutive relegation & Robbie Savage's £25k a week salary. (3) It appears we've now bankrupted ourselves a third time by actually not even managing to get there this time round, (paying PL level wages). Rowett was castigated for selling Hughes for £5m, the reason for that low fee was that he was on such good wages, it deterred potential buyers.

The PL won't run away, it is best to approach it on your own terms as it is a league built, designed and set up for the elite, not clubs like Derby. At this rate, it is academic as we're closer to League 1 instead.

Of course, no one is ever going to be happy with answers of "we don't know that" "the situation is fluid" "I'm not in a position where I can answer that" "I am bound under contract not to discuss that" no matter how they're worded or if they simply are the answers at this point in time.

I think people want certainty and resolution, which isn't available right now.

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

As long as the club doesn't go into administration I am content for him to keep his own council until everything is resolved. If he does say anything half of you won't be happy anyway regardless of what he says.

Correct and the remaining two-thirds will.

p.s.  I'm preparing our accounts to forward to the Sheikh

The make or break for this deal is linked to paying the players. If there is a signed agreement, as seems the case, that the takeover should have been completed before the December wages were due and that the December wages and wages going forward should be the responsibility of the supposed new owners it is perfectly reasonable that Mel isn't putting his hand in his pocket to pay someone else's bills. HOWEVER... As it seems the money has not arrived and Mel has basically told the players to hang on a bit because its coming there can only be a little more time for this to continue. At some point soon Wayne & the players will have to say enough is enough. Once Mel makes other arrangements to pay the players the agreement has gone and legal action (if possible for Mel) will ensue.

I am surprised Mel has let it go on this long but I can only assume he is still anticipating funds at any time. Still not optimistic mind!

In fairness, Stephen Pearce has come out now and told us basically everything he can say (which wasn’t a lot), so I’m not sure what good Mel making a statement would do. 

I would, however, be very interested to hear the perspective of the “new owners”, and what their view on the delays is. Even if they can’t say much, it would potentially be reassuring to actually hear from them and confirm they do indeed exist. At the moment they’re so reclusive it’s like they’re not even real.

6 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The make or break for this deal is linked to paying the players. If there is a signed agreement, as seems the case, that the takeover should have been completed before the December wages were due and that the December wages and wages going forward should be the responsibility of the supposed new owners it is perfectly reasonable that Mel isn't putting his hand in his pocket to pay someone else's bills. HOWEVER... As it seems the money has not arrived and Mel has basically told the players to hang on a bit because its coming there can only be a little more time for this to continue. At some point soon Wayne & the players will have to say enough is enough. Once Mel makes other arrangements to pay the players the agreement has gone and legal action (if possible for Mel) will ensue.

Obviously it's only hypothetical, but if the elusive new owner is arguing the toss over a few months wages, it doesn't bode well for the future, does it? I am going to go out on a limb, and suggest that we are not going to be the next Man City ?

Archived