Mel Morris - The Good, The Bad and The Boycie

Mostyn6

20 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I was waiting for the statement that no one was grumbling when we paid large transfers fees for players, I would have also expected that the person writing those cheques would have an amount of responsibility to be able to mitigate how they were going to support those payments without putting the club ten miles in hock or having to sell the stadium to wriggle out of a FFP sanction.

So no that statement is totally invalid in isolation. 

Maxwell wrote some large cheques out, brought in Wright, Saunders, England's no 1, and some others as well. At the time he was lauded for it and had it not been for a certain club we would have been in Europe for the first time in my life. 

Maybe the fans should have seen what followed that with hindsight as well, maybe we should remember what Maxwell brought to the club no matter what the ultimate cost. We were lucky that day, no one asked Maxwell to come in, no one knew what was happening behind the scenes, in my opinion he put money into the club because he expected to get money back.

Maybe we are being disrespectful to old Bob, after all we were happy with seeing these international stars at the BBG, what happened after, was it really his fault ?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter what mel has done before and how committed he has been previously,  there's no denying the fact that he is responsible for the position we are in now, you can't blame anyone but Mel for the financial mess that we are in, Mel has made the decisions, by all means blame the players/managers for not achieving the aim which was promotion, but they're not responsible for the horrendous financial decisions that have been made 

2 minutes ago, Stockyram92 said:

No matter what mel has done before and how committed he has been previously,  there's no denying the fact that he is responsible for the position we are in now, you can't blame anyone but Mel for the financial mess that we are in, Mel has made the decisions, by all means blame the players/managers for not achieving the aim which was promotion, but they're not responsible for the horrendous financial decisions that have been made 

I think blame is the wrong word, accountability is more appropriate. 

He's ultimately overseen the recruitment of a series of managers and the acquisition of a catalogue of players so should be absolutely accountable for the mess he leaves the club in.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I think blame is the wrong word, accountability is more appropriate. 

He's ultimately overseen the recruitment of a series of managers and the acquisition of a catalogue of players so should be absolutely accountable for the mess he leaves the club in.

I stupidly (given how long I've been a Rams fan and how many club owners I've seen) trusted Mel to 'do the right thing'. To not put the club at risk by financial imprudence. I'm more than disappointed that has happened and I blame Mel. Doesn't mean I can't see that he thought he was doing his best for the club.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I stupidly (given how long I've been a Rams fan and how many club owners I've seen) trusted Mel to 'do the right thing'. To not put the club at risk by financial imprudence. I'm more than disappointed that has happened and I blame Mel. Doesn't mean I can't see that he thought he was doing his best for the club.

I agree but having been a senior manager for a number of businesses the amount of times during disciplinary hearings or accident investigations I've heard the person involved say I was only trying to speed the job up or make things quicker or trying to help is phenomenal.

It never will be an acceptable or valid mitigation that you were trying to be helpful or get things going or whatever the euphemisms used is. 

Best intentions count for nothing ultimately and all the people proffering that excuse have to show for it are a permanent personal injury or no job.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I lost faith In Mel doing the right thing when he sacked Clement. A couple of months earlier lauding him as the next Ferguson, then allowing him to splash millions just weeks before sacking him.

I also look at his tenure and whilst there has undoubtedly been some highlights, I don't look back on it with the fondest as other. The Rowett employment, apart from the dire football was for me Mel selling out on his morals when Hughes was offered to clubs. I mean offered, the best youth product academy we have arguably ever produced, sold because he wasn't in the managers plans.

The best season for me in the last decade was without doubt under SM, the one without Mel in charge. The Frank one as well was enjoyable, can't deny that.

Given this wonderful hindsight, given all the off field headlines, where we are now, who we are potentially being sold to (mainly because I haven't got a scooby who this is), how far we have declined based on the squad we had when we took over and the uncertainty about how we are going to pay out next round of overdue payments, I can honestly say I wouldn't be happy with this person taking over.

Not read this thread in it's entirety, but having just come from the takeover thread, I thought I'd post this in here rather than on there.

If we were granted one wish, but it had to relate to an official announcement from DCFC, mine would be that they announced that Mel is either "not unwell at all", or at the very least "Mel is well enough to continue his day to day activities, both from a business and personal perspective, and is expected to remain so for the foreseeable future".

Not quite so fussed about takeovers, opinions on Mel's tenure, availability of breakfast sausages, who kidnapped the groundsman, player's wages etc, etc.

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Agreed. I hope it turns out to unfounded rumour but if it is true, then I sincerely hope he recovers soon and fully.

I think Covid has brought into really sharp focus the fact that there are things far more important than football.

I have found the opposite really. 

With no little distractions, no minor things to do...football has taken up ever more of my thoughts! 

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I have found the opposite really. 

With no little distractions, no minor things to do...football has taken up ever more of my thoughts! 

Yeah, I would say that football - and other sports (F1, cricket), film streaming services etc - have really helped a lot of people get through the lockdown.

I'm sure you know what I meant though - and I appreciate what you mean.

39 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

We know you read this forum.

You can just imagine him, trying to pull this off and then thinking 'well, I've got a bit of downtime - let's go and see why BigBallsRam481 thinks Ravel Morrison is the key to all our problems'.

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

Morris, chirp up! 

It's about time you said something to the fans about this whole debacle.

What's is happening and what are you proposing to do to save the club??

We know you read this forum.

You are aware he probably isnt allowed to , might be a NDA with the potential new owners etc

Archived