Jump to content

Mel Morris - The Good, The Bad and The Boycie


Recommended Posts

Just now, Gritty said:

The club don't own the stadium. Mel does in a separate company.  If he sells the club, there's no guarantee he sells the stadium.  He may keep it and lease it to us. That rent is 'dead money' we never had to pay before.  It would need to be funded by income the club generates from fans. 

So, you’re guessing/speculating on something that hasn’t happened and may not happen and using it as a stick to beat Mel with? A bit like my jealous ex who accused me of going to be unfaithful with a bird I hadn’t met yet, on a night out I hadn’t been on yet! 😂

Right now, for all intents and purposes, Derby still own the stadium in all but the same holding company. But i believe the academy and moor farm are also registered with different holding companies owned by Mel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, David said:

I would love Mel to stay, that’s no secret. 6 of the last 7 years have been some of the best years of supporting this club in my life. 

We could argue all year over decisions that may have cost us, but the reason we are in the Championship still is ultimately down to the players and the management at various times at the club. 

He’s come under fire recently and it’s been particularly hard to read, I’ve avoided any attempts to “defend” him as it’s pointless task, fans are angry, frustrated, and understandably so. Being the man at the top will always put the target on your head. 

Knowing how much he cares about the club though, as much as all of us on here, the personal wealth and hours he’s put into running this club, I just think it’s incredibly disrespectful. 

I don’t know the personal reasons that Sky are reporting why he wants to sell the club, so I would find it hard to sit here and ask him to stay. 

Let’s be honest, he’s not a young man and with a global pandemic destroying the world we live in, I would not blame him for wanting to walk away with what money he has and spending more time with family and friends.

Owning a football club is a thankless job, just look at the state of this forum when we lose a game, I’m not that selfish enough to sit here and beg him to stay for more.

I am truly gutted how his tenure may end, football fans have very short memories and a relegation battle could be his legacy, what he is remembered for, not the 6 years of promotion challenges, doing everything he could to compete with clubs at the top with parachute payments.

Only now with hindsight strong opinions are being formed, but I don’t recall them at the time, a few grumbles but the majority seemed happy to go along with the signings after the baron spell of dreaming for Shaun Barker type fees.

The protracted takeover, whatever the delays, whatever was agreed just feels like another kick in the balls for a man that openly admitted he never wanted to solely own the club, but did so as he felt there was no ambition to take this club forward.

He’s given a lot to this club, and city, whatever his decision is I fully respect it and I hope we can find a conclusion which is best for this club and for Mel personally. 

I hope when that day comes, we are far away from the bottom 3 as possible and these past few months do not tarnish his legacy. Regardless of your opinions, he does not deserve that. He really doesn’t. 

Bravo 👏

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mostyn6 said:

So, you’re guessing/speculating on something that hasn’t happened and may not happen and using it as a stick to beat Mel with? A bit like my jealous ex who accused me of going to be unfaithful with a bird I hadn’t met yet, on a night out I hadn’t been on yet! 😂

Right now, for all intents and purposes, Derby still own the stadium in all but the same holding company. But i believe the academy and moor farm are also registered with different holding companies owned by Mel. 

No. The club don't own the stadium. That's a fact. There's no guarantee at all it'll be sold with the club. I have no idea.  But I don't believe anyone thinks it's better not to own the stadium than to own it.

But this is a digression. My point is one can appreciate his intentions  are good while having a view that some of his decisions have been bad. That's not an incompatible viewpoint. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this league. I like to actually see Derby win games. Whilst returning to the PL is one hope, staying there and working our way up the PL table is another. All of the great things that PL football will allow the club to do and grow. But I'd rather make a go of it on solid foundations. 

We don't need a squad full of tired old experienced and expensive players. Our academy is churning out some real talent and sometimes all they need is the opportunity and then a consistent run of games to show that this league isn't above them. 

With so many players coming through the system, we genuinely could fight for play offs with a wage bill that is in the bottom 1/3 of the league. 

Every once in a while, a player might outgrow us and when the interest starts, you make sure we get the kind of ridiculous fees other clubs get. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Uptherams said:

I like this league. I like to actually see Derby win games. Whilst returning to the PL is one hope, staying there and working our way up the PL table is another. All of the great things that PL football will allow the club to do and grow. But I'd rather make a go of it on solid foundations. 

We don't need a squad full of tired old experienced and expensive players. Our academy is churning out some real talent and sometimes all they need is the opportunity and then a consistent run of games to show that this league isn't above them. 

With so many players coming through the system, we genuinely could fight for play offs with a wage bill that is in the bottom 1/3 of the league. 

Every once in a while, a player might outgrow us and when the interest starts, you make sure we get the kind of ridiculous fees other clubs get. 

 

Spot on, although I'm not sure how likely this approach would be now. 

We've held on to those we should've sold, and replaced them with other hungry young guns sourced from the same places.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Dear Mel, I hope this post finds you in good spirits. 
 

I may have taken you for granted and neglected to show you gratitude and appreciation for your endeavour and dedicated commitment to my club, my second heartbeat, my beloved rollercoaster, Derby County Football Club. 
 

In recents weeks, I’ve been facing the real, very real, and very cruel prospect of losing you and you leaving with an undeservedly negative legacy. 
 

I have made no secret recently that I’d rather you stay, and secretly hoped this deal would collapse, and by current media reports, it has done so. 
 

I attended Breakfast at Moor Farm, I was the bloke who said you shouldn’t have gone into the dressing room, your response, misjudging me, was that I expected you to spend all your money, but keep your mouth shut. You were wrong then and would still be wrong. 
 

Many here can testify that my belief has ALWAYS been better plans, better coaching, better decisions, and never spend spend spend. I want players hitting 7/10 performances, not £7million signings. 
 

So, let’s put all this talk of selling up behind us eh? Find your mojo, and re-engage that next level superbrain of yours and stick to what you was doing. 
 

Most reasonable fans accept that we (you) can’t keep throwing money at the club, and accept that if there’s a period of cutting our cloth accordingly, then so be it, but with someone we know and trust doing it, and in position to enjoy the success when it comes! 
 

in summary, please don’t go. 
 

There are posters here that will point to their perceived errors they believe you have made, I personally think you’ve made good decisions for a few seasons now, that were great at the time. I will always think sacking McClaren twice ruined feelgood factor but I believe you know this. 
 

Right, so what I want you to do is help fix this wages malarkey, help our Wayne fix our league position, then take your place at the head of the table and lead us to stability and success. DONT QUIT!

MediocreUnfoldedGreatwhiteshark-max-14mb

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shaftesbury st said:

Are you the leader of the “ He’s one of our own “ club ?.

I respectfully suggest this is one of the most ludicrous posts I’ve ever read.

Good decisions ?, I genuinely feel he’s made us a club that’s lacking in class. Fights with the EFL, getting others backs up, stadium saga ( clearly a massively bad decision ), it’s all brought us to this juncture and I see no happy ending as it stands.

If this was another club I’d be saying it’s all of their own making.

Maybe Mel needs to concentrate on giving all of us loyal fans our season ticket money back as a priority. 
 

So my message to Mel would be, sell up quick, include the stadium in the sale and leave us alone, don’t even want you as a consultant, far better persons around qualified to do that. 

Totally disagree with your attitude to Mel he's 100% DCFC through and through. 

Who are you to question  how to run a football club.

Would you spend millions of pounds of your money on DCFC ? 

Ignore the moaners and groaners Mel , tomorrow it will CV and what Boris is doing wrong !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mel has completely checked out and doing exactly what I wouldn't expect of an owner of a club he supports to do.

I mean, the takeover has almost definitely fell through, and even if it doesn't fall through he's selling us to some charlatans. It doesn't seem like he's bothered anymore. He can't even be arsed to pay the players he personally signed the contracts off for and is keeping us from improving the team despite sat in a relegation battle. 

We joked about Fawaz and Forest, but bizarrely you could now EASILY argue that he was a better owner of Forest than Mel was of Derby. Fawaz wanted out at the end of his tenure, but he didn't flat out refuse to pay players and did invest in incoming players in his last season where Forest were struggling - although all the signings they made turned out to be toss. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Controversy over Mel's tenure .two things to consider.

Was their any one better able or willing to take the club over when Mel took the lead of faith?

Has Mel not endeavered to take the club forward.?

Irrespective of our current position I believe Mel has been committed to the club,both emotionally and financially. I dont recall any one else, then ,since or now coming forward with either the funds enthusiasm or commitment Mel has shown.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Irrespective of our current position I believe Mel has been committed to the club,both emotionally and financially

Yes he has without doubt but now things are in trouble, he's nowhere to be seen. People aren't being paid, players are leaving and not being replaced. It's a dire situation that needs the commitment Mel has shown previously. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Yes he has without doubt but now things are in trouble, he's nowhere to be seen. People aren't being paid, players are leaving and not being replaced. It's a dire situation that needs the commitment Mel has shown previously. 

Exactly this.

He’s been absolutely committed, in the past, but let’s call a spade, a spade: He is currently the owner of Derby County and we’re under a transfer embargo and the players STILL aren’t getting paid. 

He’s gone from selling us only to the right person to selling us to a guy with a similar name to someone else disgustingly rich. He’s allowed himself to get blinded to all the red flags because he simply just wants out the club - and I’m not exactly sure he cared how that looks after he’s left. If he does, he certainly has a funny way of showing it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Totally disagree with your attitude to Mel he's 100% DCFC through and through. 

Who are you to question  how to run a football club.

Would you spend millions of pounds of your money on DCFC ? 

Ignore the moaners and groaners Mel , tomorrow it will CV and what Boris is doing wrong !!!

You carry on with your blind faith in him, I’m more concerned about my club going to the wall than if you agree or not with me. All entitled to opinions, I don’t see someone 100% committed anymore.

And I have every right to question how the clubs run, just as every supporter does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Yes he has without doubt but now things are in trouble, he's nowhere to be seen. People aren't being paid, players are leaving and not being replaced. It's a dire situation that needs the commitment Mel has shown previously. 

Hes probably trying to dig a tunnel into Colditz, to escape the flack. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, David said:

I would love Mel to stay, that’s no secret. 6 of the last 7 years have been some of the best years of supporting this club in my life. 

We could argue all year over decisions that may have cost us, but the reason we are in the Championship still is ultimately down to the players and the management at various times at the club. 

He’s come under fire recently and it’s been particularly hard to read, I’ve avoided any attempts to “defend” him as it’s pointless task, fans are angry, frustrated, and understandably so. Being the man at the top will always put the target on your head. 

Knowing how much he cares about the club though, as much as all of us on here, the personal wealth and hours he’s put into running this club, I just think it’s incredibly disrespectful. 

I don’t know the personal reasons that Sky are reporting why he wants to sell the club, so I would find it hard to sit here and ask him to stay. 

Let’s be honest, he’s not a young man and with a global pandemic destroying the world we live in, I would not blame him for wanting to walk away with what money he has and spending more time with family and friends.

Owning a football club is a thankless job, just look at the state of this forum when we lose a game, I’m not that selfish enough to sit here and beg him to stay for more.

I am truly gutted how his tenure may end, football fans have very short memories and a relegation battle could be his legacy, what he is remembered for, not the 6 years of promotion challenges, doing everything he could to compete with clubs at the top with parachute payments.

Only now with hindsight strong opinions are being formed, but I don’t recall them at the time, a few grumbles but the majority seemed happy to go along with the signings after the baron spell of dreaming for Shaun Barker type fees.

The protracted takeover, whatever the delays, whatever was agreed just feels like another kick in the balls for a man that openly admitted he never wanted to solely own the club, but did so as he felt there was no ambition to take this club forward.

He’s given a lot to this club, and city, whatever his decision is I fully respect it and I hope we can find a conclusion which is best for this club and for Mel personally. 

I hope when that day comes, we are far away from the bottom 3 as possible and these past few months do not tarnish his legacy. Regardless of your opinions, he does not deserve that. He really doesn’t. 

Yeah, yeah I get all that but has he got a Ram tattoo ? You have, Mostyn has, I have, if Mel ain’t got a Ram (complete with eye) back piece he ain’t one of us. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, David said:

Only now with hindsight strong opinions are being formed, but I don’t recall them at the time, a few grumbles but the majority seemed happy to go along with the signings after the baron spell of dreaming for Shaun Barker type fees.

I don’t think some of us are forming opinions with hindsight.. Just sayin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.