Mel Morris - The Good, The Bad and The Boycie

Mostyn6

8 hours ago, BIllyD said:

Have I picked the wrong season ?

GSE not willing to finance these losses is different to how I remember it, I have tried google and can't find any references. There was certainly a reluctance to finance deals, but the arrival of SR seem to trigger a different approach, think he turned debt into equity and convinced GSE to invest a bit more. That season we had the likes of Ibe, wisdom, GT and Dawkins all loaned in.

The below figures from the accounts seem to indicate an approach to more investment not less...as I say maybe wrong season ?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dcfc.co.uk/amp/news/2016/03/record-turnover-is-the-highlight-of-Derby-countys-201415-financial-results

After I e-mailed the club Tom Glick actually rang me up for a discussion and from memory pretty sure there was a some sort of dispute between the owners and, there was only one who wanted to continue to put money into the club.

Mel Morris was already on board and had put money into the club to acquire a 25% stake, which he then converted into 100% at the end of the season.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

After I e-mailed the club Tom Glick actually rang me up for a discussion and from memory pretty sure there was a some sort of dispute between the owners and, there was only one who wanted to continue to put money into the club.

Mel Morris was already on board and had put money into the club to acquire a 25% stake, which he then converted into 100% at the end of the season.

Tom Glick left in 2012 didn't he ? The increase in wages shows that didn't seem to be the case for the last couple of years.

3 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Tom Glick left in 2012 didn't he ? The increase in wages shows that didn't seem to be the case for the last couple of years.

Yeah think 2012 sounds about right.

Rush did get the board to loosen the purse strings in the final season but pretty sure that was on the back of MMs investment. 

Would have to look back at the accounts.

22 hours ago, sage said:

Thank you for the insults. Delightful.

The point about asking what you would do was to highlight that your criticism was over simplified. Your answer was to spend more when Mel got us into trouble got spending too much.

Everyone has an opinion and many of his decisions split opinions. I didn't agree with several of his decisions. However, he invested a lot of money and time with overall the best of intentions.

In any event, I didn't realise he was engaged to several men.

Your comments make me laugh out loud thanks for that, how do u know he did things with the best of intentions, for me he made a pigs ear of a job, court cases against us, the EFL charge, the sackings, the waste of money and also the bull he fed everyone, like I say these are my opinions, but that's how I feel, very let down by a so called Derby supporter. 

3 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Your comments make me laugh out loud thanks for that, how do u know he did things with the best of intentions, for me he made a pigs ear of a job, court cases against us, the EFL charge, the sackings, the waste of money and also the bull he fed everyone, like I say these are my opinions, but that's how I feel, very let down by a so called Derby supporter. 

What intentions do you think he had?

Glad I've amused you. Hope your fiance found it funny too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2021 at 14:18, G STAR RAM said:

Could you define what you mean by 'had the finances under control and the club was stable'?

From memory, we were losing £9m per year and GSE had made it clear that they no longer wished to finance these losses.

We were at the point of having a bottom 6 wage bill and seemed to have a circa £1m cap on transfer fees.

We had a £15m mortgage on the ground that I believe was to be repaid within 3 years.

We had loans secured against future years season ticket sales.

No i cant be arsed to define what i mean lol!!! Okay, they got the wages down and more inline with a championship club! But fair enough, i get what your saying! 

On 28/01/2021 at 23:01, Derby blood said:

We I'm afraid your opinion is based upon your misinformation.its absolutely ok to have an opinion but it doesnt mean its correct.

3 hours ago, Ramslaar said:

We I'm afraid your opinion is based upon your misinformation.its absolutely ok to have an opinion but it doesnt mean its correct.

Just going over what you said.....we have had two ETs decisions go against us for unfair dismissal the club is appealing the second one with Keogh so this is factually correct....Morris has overseen a revolving door of managerial exits sacking McClaren twice, Pearson, Clement, Cocu so again this is factually correct....the EFL charge is real as was the money wasted on contracts and players such Anya, Butterfield, Johnson, Blackman to a lesser degree Zoon and so on....so not sure which parts in that post are actually subjective at all?

Archived