Matt Clarke

RoyMac5

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the defence is currently playing the best it ever has in 20 years.

• 2020-21 13 games 9 conceded - Rooney 
  • 2020-21 11 games 16 conceded - cocu
  • 2019-20 46 games 64 conceded - cocu
  • 2018-19 46 games 54 conceded - Frank
  • 2017-18 46 games 48 conceded - rowett
  • 2016-16 46 games 50 conceded - Pearson / Mac2/ rowett
  • 2015-16 46 games 66 conceded - Clement / wassall
  • 2014-15 46 games 56 conceded - mac1
  • 2013-14 46 games 52 conceded - Clough / mac1
  • 2012-13 46 games 62 conceded - clough
  • 2011-12 46 games 58 conceded - clough
  • 2010-11 46 games 71 conceded - clough
  • 2009-10 46 games 63 conceded - clough
  • 2008-09 46 games 67 conceded- Jewell / clough 
  • 2007-08 premier league
  • 2006-07 46 games 46 conceded - davies
  • 2005-06 46 games 67 conceded - brown
  • 2004-05 46 games 60 conceded - burley
  • 2003-04 46 games 67 conceded - burley
  • 2002-03 46 games 74 conceded - gregory
  • 2001-02 premier league 

5 hours ago, S8TY said:

Matt Clarke is a colossus ....best CB in the championship, rarely gets beaten in the air and has great technical ability....please please make this permanent if possible ....

I've been saying the same thing all season, even during the start under Cocu, while others were saying he's an average championship player at best.?

As a CB he has it all, brilliant heading, good on the ball, drives forward when needed, great tackling, good pace, good positioning. As much as i would love us to sign him permanently, i just can't see it happening. Brighton will want big transfer fee or i could actually see him fitting in well in their team next season. Who knows, possible England cap in the future?

Also, How has Matt Clarke not scored yet this season??

9 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

I've been saying the same thing all season, even during the start under Cocu, while others were saying he's an average championship player at best.?

As a CB he has it all, brilliant heading, good on the ball, drives forward when needed, great tackling, good pace, good positioning. As much as i would love us to sign him permanently, i just can't see it happening. Brighton will want big transfer fee or i could actually see him fitting in well in their team next season. Who knows, possible England cap in the future?

Agree he’s a really good player at this level.

On scoring, I would say he’s like most of our players. He can head it but doesn’t always do so with a clear idea of where it’s going!

Really, watch how many times opponents head the ball to a teammate and then compare that to us.

I get the impression we do all of our training with the ball on the floor and never cover heading or shooting!

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Agree he’s a really good player at this level.

On scoring, I would say he’s like most of our players. He can head it but doesn’t always do so with a clear idea of where it’s going!

Really, watch how many times opponents head the ball to a teammate and then compare that to us.

I get the impression we do all of our training with the ball on the floor and never cover heading or shooting!

I think that's changed since Rooney came in. It's easy to see the difference. Lovely flick on by Clarke from a corner for one goal (v Brum?). Got his head to lots more from corners, had one cleared off the line last game.

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think that's changed since Rooney came in. It's easy to see the difference. Lovely flick on by Clarke from a corner for one goal (v Brum?). Got his head to lots more from corners, had one cleared off the line last game.

He's definitely become more of a focal point in set pieces, also I just like his demeanour,attitude, it always appears no nonsense and positive.

I disagree that he's now starting to show how good he is as i think he's been very good most of the time, if we could sign him permanently I think he's captain material and for some years as he's younger than he looks lol 

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

I disagree that he's now starting to show how good he is as i think he's been very good most of the time, if we could sign him permanently I think he's captain material and for some years as he's younger than he looks lol 

He had a wobble at the start of the season, not to do with the 'rhythm' thing. I know this sounds odd, but he plays better without Curtis, who I think he deferred to, which made for potential errors as he was unsure whether to do what he thought was right or what he was told to do. Just my view of it of course. He's a better player when he has responsibility and I'd have him as captain too.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He had a wobble at the start of the season, not to do with the 'rhythm' thing. I know this sounds odd, but he plays better without Curtis, who I think he deferred to, which made for potential errors as he was unsure whether to do what he thought was right or what he was told to do. Just my view of it of course. He's a better player when he has responsibility and I'd have him as captain too.

He does seem to have excelled since he's become our main CB , his recovery to get across a ball over the top in the first half on Friday was briliant covering, hes not massively quick but he is certainly no slouch either but for a big lad he shows very good technique in tight areas that a midfielder would be proud of 

Was it Lampard who brought him to the club initially ? If so a very good piece of business

58 minutes ago, S8TY said:

He does seem to have excelled since he's become our main CB , his recovery to get across a ball over the top in the first half on Friday was briliant covering, hes not massively quick but he is certainly no slouch either but for a big lad he shows very good technique in tight areas that a midfielder would be proud of 

Was it Lampard who brought him to the club initially ? If so a very good piece of business

Cocu I believe

2 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Shame Clarke and Tomori weren't here at the same time, the 2 best CB's the clubs had in the past decade, just ahead of Keogh and Barker in my opinion.

Difficult to criticise any part of the defensive unit when over the last ten games we have the best defence in the league, albeit one helped by a fairly defence minded midfield too.

Shame he isn’t here permanently as I suspect at some point he will be making the step up to the Prem and I would imagine it will be before we can get there and buy him. 

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Difficult to criticise any part of the defensive unit when over the last ten games we have the best defence in the league, albeit one helped by a fairly defence minded midfield too.

Shame he isn’t here permanently as I suspect at some point he will be making the step up to the Prem and I would imagine it will be before we can get there and buy him. 

Actually the midfield is less defence minded now than under Cocu when we were conceding more goals. We have generally switched from 2 CDMs before to now just 1 CDM.

Agree that he will be playing prem football before too long.

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Shame Clarke and Tomori weren't here at the same time, the 2 best CB's the clubs had in the past decade, just ahead of Keogh and Barker in my opinion.

Yes, how good would that be! Put in a cheeky loan bid for Tomori? you never know he might choose us ahead of playing with Zlatan at Milan.?

Archived