Squad Depth

Ramfan1958

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’re definitely short on numbers at the moment. I’d say we’re probably 3 signings short of having a decent enough squad depth, and that’s without any outgoings. With Holmes on his way and Ibe currently suspended, we probably need 5 signings to replace those two as well. Lots of work to do, starting with a CB and ST as top priorities.

Those firmly in the first team:

GK                         Defenders              Midfielders          Forwards
Marshall            Byrne                    Bielik                   Kazim
Roos                  Buchanan             Shinnie               Waghorn
                          Forsyth                 Knight                 Lawrence
                          Clarke                   Bird                     Jozwiak
                          Wisdom                Sibley
                          Evans

That's only 17 players. The squad is way too thin. We're clearly missing a centre back, an attacking midfielder, a wide player and a striker. All those need to be of genuine quality. We probably need cover for Bielik as well. There is serious work to do.

As things stand, we have the following players in our first team, U23 and U18 squads (excluding the 7 or 8 U16s who have stepped up early).

Goalkeepers: Marshall, Roos, Foster, Idem, Yates, Sykes-Kenworthy, Halwax, Roberts, Randle
Right Backs: Byrne, McDonald, Ebosele, Bardell, Brailsford
Centre Backs: Clarke, Wisdom, Evans, (Davies, injured), Wassall, Minkley, Bateman, (Cashin, injured and/or deal expired?), Solomon, Jinkinson, Rutt, Christie
Left Backs: Buchanan, Forsyth, Archie, Grewal-Pollard
Centre Mids: Bielik, Knight, Shinnie, Bird, Sibley, JBrown, Watson, Dixon, LThompson, Aghatise, Rogers, Ibrahim, Matthews, Perez de Gracia (Hutchinson out on loan)
Wingers: Jozwiak, Lawrence, Ibe, Whittaker, JML, Shonibare, WIlson, Borkovic, Williams, Kelly Caprani
Forwards: Kazim, Waghorn, Stretton, Trialist, Duncan, Cresswell, Cybulski

3 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Our squad depth is starting to look as good as a dried up watering hole in the middle of the Kalahari Desert in high Summer.

A pedantic person would point out they actually get the majority of their rain in the summer in the Kalahari Desert.

I am a pedantic person.

On 19/01/2021 at 22:31, Rammy03 said:

Those firmly in the first team:

GK                         Defenders              Midfielders          Forwards
Marshall            Byrne                    Bielik                   Kazim
Roos                  Buchanan             Shinnie               Waghorn
                          Forsyth                 Knight                 Lawrence
                          Clarke                   Bird                     Jozwiak
                          Wisdom                Sibley
                          Evans

That is a frightening list! And even with GOC's additions from the younger squads, it means we only have 13 fit players over the age of 21 at the Club - 12 if Evans is sold as seems likely.

41 minutes ago, sage said:

A pedantic person would point out they actually get the majority of their rain in the summer in the Kalahari Desert.

I am a pedantic person.

sage, an oasis of information in a landscape of sandstorms and camel aromas.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wassall, Shonibare, Trialist and Bateman are over 21 as well

Ah, OK thanks. Softens the stat a little - thanks for enlightening me after I dived in. I envy your depth of knowledge (or perhaps you just know where to look these things up?)

Perhaps a different way to show how inexperienced our squad has become is to look at the number of players with 50 or more first team appearances (for any club)? Again, my lack of depth means I'm guessing but would that list be more than 10 fit players?

8 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Ah, OK thanks. Softens the stat a little - thanks for enlightening me after I dived in. I envy your depth of knowledge (or perhaps you just know where to look these things up?)

Perhaps a different way to show how inexperienced our squad has become is to look at the number of players with 50 or more first team appearances (for any club)? Again, my lack of depth means I'm guessing but would that list be more than 10 fit players?

Pretty much @Rammy03's list, excluding Buchanan and Sibley

Marshall, Roos, Byrne, Wisdom, Clarke, Evans, Forsyth, Bielik, Shinnie, Knight, Bird, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Ibe, Waghorn, Kazim

On 19/01/2021 at 21:26, Ramfan1958 said:

We really need to strengthen the team we have too many young small players.

We are going to have some big battles now until the season ends and we can't rely on youth. 

Big strong centre forward and cover for Bielik is the number onr priorities. 

I would say a winger is needed most. 

We have CKR as the 'big strong centre forward' and also Waghorn and Hector-Ingram as back up. 

As for cover on Bielik, i think we are fine in that area to be honest. Shinnie can easily play there, we also have Evans who is naturally a defensive mid. Even failing that we could switch to 4-2-3-1 and have two holding players like Bird and Knight if needed.

As for wingers, we only really have Jozwiak. We all know the problems Ibe has so not sure he will be playing any part. Whittaker is not up to the job unfortunately, Lawrence and Sibley can play there but both are not natural wingers and always run inside. 

Archived