Derby@QPR, Saturday 15.00 hrs.

Rev

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That might work if stay 343 but honestly I don't think they will come at least not at the quality that would be needed to carry an attack and it still wouldn't entirely solve the issue of if you shut down Bielik, you shut down Derby.

I think we have the players in the squad to give us more going forward with better control with a small sacrifice in solidity.

We need more experience on the bench at least.

6 minutes ago, Norman Hull said:

I think you mettle. 

But I think the two could be interchangeable if one is referring to steel in your character, and isn’t the original about grasping a stinging  Nettle ?

entomologists ?   

44 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Looks like he enjoyed that trip on the road or at (loftus) road. 

Shaking Stevens interview. Rooney exudes confidence like no other. I suppose Colleen will appear when we win the league. Will the young Rooneys sign for our academy. 

1 minute ago, BriggRam said:

Consistently

He does exactly what every decent coach asks .. make yourself available, make the runs - even blind ones, link with your winger / wide forward. Lovely player .. eager, skilled, dangerous and intelligent .. what a bargain

Great, battling display. And for the first 20 - 25 minutes we were well in control, and got in some good crosses which asked questions of their defence. Then QPR started to close us down and harry our players, and doubled up on virtually all of our players whenever they were near the ball. And we don't like it. At the same time we stopped giving them the press, so they grew into the game and were on top till half time. 

The excellent change to 4-3-3 for the second half was a great move and we worked our way back to control again, until the last 15 minutes hen we seemed to be whacked out. We were holding on at the end, although Wazza's substitutions were good and effective

At times we moved the ball really well through midfield, but just lack the defence-splitting passes we need. I thought first Bird, and then Beilik would give us the goods, but it appears it isn't their strong-suit. Joswiack is coming in for a bit of stick, and didn't have much of an end-product today, apart form his part in the goal. But he is always up against 2 or 3 players wherever he is on the pitch, so  is obviously a threat worth spending manpower on to close down. He is excellent at extricating the ball in tight situations, and often is the only one in midfield who wants to run at players and try and open things up, and often has no-one in the box to aim at. This is improving as we are starting to get more and more players forwards when we attack, but at least he doesn't go into blind alleys and get tackled by turning into the defender when it is easier to go round them, and he does try and pass the ball at the right time.

There is much to be pleased with today, especially the grit and determination we showed. But probably the biggest difference is that Rooney has got the whole squad busting a gut, instead of looking like it is all too much for them. So having got the defence working, and getting the midfield showing a whole load more life, maybe we will start to see the fruit of what he is doing in training to sharpen things up in the final third.

We are in a good place given what has been done to us over the last few months/couple of seasons, and we as fans must stay loyal and hopeful. We are not there yet, but we are on the way!

And the ref! I thought after about 20 minutes he gave a couple of very soft decisions to QPR, and thought the usual switch to useless after 20 minutes was happening, but as someone else has put, he seemed to blow the EFL protocol for Derby County matches out of the water. We could have had the penalty shout go against us, plus one or two others, and the match ended with more QPR players booked than Derby players. Since when has the opposition had more yellow cards than Derby? Maybe never! So maybe to=hose officiating decisions are starting to even themselves out after all. Well, we had a bit of luck in this match at least!

And the Gumps completely gumped today as well! So a good was had by all!

COME ON YOU RAMS!

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Good half time switch around. Made all difference. Well done all. Apparently I have started doing my hair manically in little plaits and moaning under my breathe like a madwoman in the last 15 minutes. And finally whoever ended up paying 3 times for the stream today please can you crowdfund to do same every week. 

Worth every penny. I’ll try it again next time and if it works, well I’ll take the hit for the season and we’ll go up as champions. 

Archived