Jump to content

Do you have favourite actor(s) and actress(es)?


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, ramit said:

To name a few:

Dirk Bogarde - The Damned, The Night Porter etc.  Fabulous actor capable of intense restrained performances.

Ray Liotta - Goodfellas, The Ice Man, etc.  Always brings a focus and intensity to a part.  Top pro.

Mickey Rourke - Angel Heart, The Wrestler, etc.  The best troubled bad boy.  Eats up the screen.

John Hurt - The Hit, etc.  Super performance in a forgotten film.

Frances McDormand - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Fargo, etc.  Tremendous actress.

Woody Harrelson - Every scene he's ever been in, etc.  A gift to cinema.

Great shout on Ray Liotta. Goodfellas is such a good film. Joe Pesci and De Niro absolutely brilliant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Almost ashamed to admit it but Leonardo DiCaprio because he's stared in some of my favorite films:

Wolf of Wall Street

The Aviator

Gangs of New York 

Catch Me If You Can

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

I nearly included him because of Inception, one of the greatest movies ever. Which means I should also give a shout out to Jim Carrey for his extraordinary performance in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I nearly included him because of Inception, one of the greatest movies ever. Which means I should also give a shout out to Jim Carrey for his extraordinary performance in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. 

Re Carrey, considering its a comedy, i think his performance in The Truman Show was pretty awesome too. Not sure it gets the credit it deserves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Almost ashamed to admit it but Leonardo DiCaprio because he's stared in some of my favorite films:

Wolf of Wall Street

The Aviator

Gangs of New York 

Catch Me If You Can

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Don't be ashamed, he's the class of his generation. And you missed out The Departed, Inception, Shutter Island,¬†Django Unchained (which may be his best performance) and Once Upon A Time in America in which he blew Brad Pitt off stage.....apparently¬†ūüė¨

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Don't be ashamed, he's the class of his generation. And you missed out The Departed, Inception, Shutter Island,¬†Django Unchained (which may be his best performance) and Once Upon A Time in America in which he blew Brad Pitt off stage.....apparently¬†ūüė¨

Was going to post this too. Been in a ton of good movies, no coincidence. 

Tom Cruise similar, Mission Impossible, Vanilla Sky, Born on Fourth July, Magnolia, Top Gun. 

Just because they largely play to type isn't an issue for me. Tom Hanks is the same, rewatch Die Hard and Bruce Willis is always playing the same character but he just has charisma. Harrison Ford has been in some classics...but always the same character. 

Underrated... Guy Pearce has been in some stinkers but I think he has been in some great movies too... LA Confidential, Memento, Ravenous. 

The only actor who I can think of who really changes persona that I enjoy watching is Ed Norton. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Was going to post this too. Been in a ton of good movies, no coincidence. 

Tom Cruise similar, Mission Impossible, Vanilla Sky, Born on Fourth July, Magnolia, Top Gun. 

Just because they largely play to type isn't an issue for me. Tom Hanks is the same, rewatch Die Hard and Bruce Willis is always playing the same character but he just has charisma. Harrison Ford has been in some classics...but always the same character. 

Underrated... Guy Pearce has been in some stinkers but I think he has been in some great movies too... LA Confidential, Memento, Ravenous. 

The only actor who I can think of who really changes persona that I enjoy watching is Ed Norton. 

Very underrated. Was in some great films, then went back to doing smaller Australian films. 

Edited by sage
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, sage said:

Very underrated. Was in some great films, then went back to doing smaller Australian films. 

... And children's comedies with Adam Sandler.. Who is an actor I would avoid generally although he was good in the last one I saw. 

Edited by Chester40
Link to post
Share on other sites

For their pure acting ability: Anthony Hopkins, Naomi Watts, Jodie Foster, Christoph Waltz, Edward Norton, Viola Davis

For light entertainment: Dwayne Johnson, Will Ferrell

For obvious reasons: Melanie Laurent, Marion Cotillard, Anne Hathaway, Angelina Jolie

Edited by Jourdan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.