Do you have favourite actor(s) and actress(es)?

Mostyn6

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never really sat down & thought about it but mine seem to be dominated by the British. In no particular order:

Emma Thompson

Rosamund Pike

Bill Nighy

Judi Dench

Thandie Newton

Luke Evans

Mary McDonnell

Basically, actors who tend to be in films with good (witty) scripts and are able to act with the slightest facial expression.

To name a few:

Dirk Bogarde - The Damned, The Night Porter etc.  Fabulous actor capable of intense restrained performances.

Ray Liotta - Goodfellas, The Ice Man, etc.  Always brings a focus and intensity to a part.  Top pro.

Mickey Rourke - Angel Heart, The Wrestler, etc.  The best troubled bad boy.  Eats up the screen.

John Hurt - The Hit, etc.  Super performance in a forgotten film.

Frances McDormand - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Fargo, etc.  Tremendous actress.

Woody Harrelson - Every scene he's ever been in, etc.  A gift to cinema.

Nick Cage, Jason Statham and Liam Neeson and Tom Hanks. Cage, Statham and Neeson sometimes get a bad rap for their acting but the films they do are enjoyable all the same. Hanks is very versatile. S. Grey is my favourite female "actress" ?

Michelle Williams because of Dawson's Creek and she's never let me down since. And has such an important role in Synecdoche NY. Rachel McAdams who I fall in love with in every film she's in. 

Johnny Depp for being the finest actor of his generation. James Spader because he fell in love with aliens in Stargate and a Starcrossed. 

Dina Meyer for red hair, unrequited love in Starship Troopers and cyberpunk in Johnny Mnemonic. 

They say filmstars engender love because their faces are so large when we see them projected onto the big screen, and we normally only see faces up close like that when we're very intimate with them. 

But I'm more into writers and directors. 

Margot Robbie,  just because. 

Tom Cruise,  not that I think he's the 'best' as such but have found that his films tend to be really good movies. 

Likewise Dwayne Johnson,  surprised I would find an ex wrestler that good in films but find his tend to be really good watchable films too.

9 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Sean Penn - for Mystic River, The Game and Casualties of War

Ed Norton - Fight Club and American History X

Daniel Day Lewis - Gangs of New York

Matthew McConnaghey (sp?) - A time to Kill and Interstellar, and S1 of True Detective. 

So when you say 'why' we just have to list the films they were in. This new development will save my brain matter

3 minutes ago, sage said:

So when you say 'why' we just have to list the films they were in. This new development will save my brain matter

Up to you. It would be helpful, you may remind me or someone else, of a quality film we’ve forgotten. 

I have lots of favourite actors and some of them are these huge stars everybody admires but I want to name some that might be  often somewhat under the radar.

Bruce Weitz

Michael Jeter

Caroll O'Connor

James Spader

Bebe Neuwirth

Archived