Reasons why we are where we are .

NottsRammy

2 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Owner employs a manager, turns out to be a not very good manager despite being backed financially.

Owner sacks manager.

Owner employs manager, turns out to be a not very good manager despite being backed financially.

Owner sacks manager.

Repeat.

Mel cannot spot a good manager. This is not really his fault as every club has employed managers that turned out to be not as good as they think. It's almost pot luck and unfortunately the manager is the single biggest factor in making a club successfull. With continued backing usually a wealthy owner will pick a good manager eventually but Mel has not had that (yet). 

Them's the vagaries. 

Only what actually happened was

Owner sacks best manager Derby had in decades after he'd committed to club. 

Owner appoints unproven manager.  Owner allows unproven manager to spend ridiculous amounts on rubbish players and sacks him 2 days later (while 5th), saying he wanted his managers to develop youth and play Derby way.  Owner appoints academy manager to end of season

Owner appoints manager who plays opposite of Derby way.  Allows him to loan out striker crucial to Derby way. Owner sacks him after about 6 weeks and reappoints best manager in decades with a brief to avoid relegation.  Best manager in decade does so well Derby are on verge of play offs despite him not having a squad suited to his style. He hits a short bad patch and Owner sacks him in a fit of pique. Owner appoints another manager renowned for not playing the mythical Derby way

Manager sells the best youth product produced for decades who is integral to Derby way.  Derby play the most miserable football I can ever recall and fail in play offs

Derby appoint celebrity manager who spends money very badly but gets good loanees who almost get us promoted. He sort of plays Derby way

Derby appoint a Dutch celebrity manager and have a car crash of a season (literally)

And then this season

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gritty said:

Only what actually happened was

Owner sacks best manager Derby had in decades after he'd committed to club. 

Owner appoints unproven manager.  Owner allows unproven manager to spend ridiculous amounts on rubbish players and sacks him 2 days later (while 5th), saying he wanted his managers to develop youth and play Derby way.  Owner appoints academy manager to end of season

Owner appoints manager who plays opposite of Derby way.  Allows him to loan out striker crucial to Derby way. Owner sacks him after about 6 weeks and reappoints best manager in decades with a brief to avoid relegation.  Best manager in decade does so well Derby are on verge of play offs despite him not having a squad suited to his style. He hits a short bad patch and Owner sacks him in a fit of pique. Owner appoints another manager renowned for not playing the mythical Derby way

Manager sells the best youth product produced for decades who is integral to Derby way.  Derby play the most miserable football I can ever recall and fail in play offs

Derby appoint celebrity manager who spends money very badly but gets good loanees who almost get us promoted. He sort of plays Derby way

Derby appoint a Dutch celebrity manager and have a car crash of a season (literally)

And then this season

A good riposte, to be fair.

Well we have the ultimate celebrity manager now so I can assume that as he is unproven (as all managers will have been at some point) that you think he will be an absolute disaster? Are you happy with the appointment? And should Mel only allow him to sell players that he himself (as a proven football man) deems surplus to his own requirements. Should he also veto signing players that he thinks are a waste of money despite what the manager says?

I would also say that changing styles of football is not as difficult as you would think. A couple of select additions and you can go from passing football to long-ball hurly-burly quicker than you can say Neil Warnock. 

40 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

A good riposte, to be fair.

Well we have the ultimate celebrity manager now so I can assume that as he is unproven (as all managers will have been at some point) that you think he will be an absolute disaster? Are you happy with the appointment? And should Mel only allow him to sell players that he himself (as a proven football man) deems surplus to his own requirements. Should he also veto signing players that he thinks are a waste of money despite what the manager says?

I would also say that changing styles of football is not as difficult as you would think. A couple of select additions and you can go from passing football to long-ball hurly-burly quicker than you can say Neil Warnock. 

Actually, I was initially dead against Rooney initially and wanted Mac 3.

But I think Rooney has actually done well (no doubt helped by Mac but he deserves credit himself).

And so I'm happy with Rooney

Archived