Keogh

Sean

I don't get all the hate for Keogh tbh, he may not have been the best player we've ever had but he always gave it his all - and was a key part of some very good teams.  If for nothing else, I'll always be thankful for the Marriott assist...

As others have mentioned, an utterly avoidable end to his career here - but he was also badly let down by his 'mates'.  Its not something I've done personally, but he's not the first and won't be the last person to get into trouble after a night drinking.

Did he deserve to get sacked?  I'm torn on that.  Do I support him suing us?  I'm torn on that as well.  As far as I'm concerned thats somethign else that Mel did and something else that Mel will need to sort out.  

Cheers for the memories Keogh, the less said about your exit the better.

Just now, David said:

He as club captain let his makes down badly.

No personal responsibility?

TBH I only know what I read in the media at the time but if I had been drinking I would like to think I wouldn't get behind the wheel of a car regardless of who may or may not have been egging me on.

Regardless, we all know drinking driving is bad but imo, but fleeing the scene of an accident, leaving your mate unconscious, albeit briefly, is diabolical.  Nice to see Tom has been made captain though ?

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

No personal responsibility?

TBH I only know what I read in the media at the time but if I had been drinking I would like to think I wouldn't get behind the wheel of a car regardless of who may or may not have been egging me on.

Regardless, we all know drinking driving is bad but imo, but fleeing the scene of an accident, leaving your mate unconscious, albeit briefly, is diabolical.  Nice to see Tom has been made captain though ?

Of course there is personal responsibility, however Keogh, the older more experienced player that also happened to be captain, should have known better. Should have been the leader and ensured they got home safely having refused Taxi’s laid on by the club.

His role in this is worse than those that drove for me, you might disagree but I’m glad he was sacked, tarnished his entire time at the club.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Of course there is personal responsibility, however Keogh, the older more experienced player that also happened to be captain, should have known better. Should have been the leader and ensured they got home safely having refused Taxi’s laid on by the club.

His role in this is worse than those that drove for me, you might disagree but I’m glad he was sacked, tarnished his entire time at the club.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion of course and as I said in my first post I am torn over what happened.

On balance however I think I'd prefer to remember the years of service he gave us as opposed to one drunken night out.

On 19/07/2021 at 07:55, maxjam said:

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion of course and as I said in my first post I am torn over what happened.

On balance however I think I'd prefer to remember the years of service he gave us as opposed to one drunken night out.

years of service..... some people have no idea what a centre half even looks like. rubbish player, deserved to be sacked, hope he absolutley hates Blackpool and he treads in dog excrement every day on the beach.

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

years of service..... some people have no idea what a centre half even looks like. rubbish player, deserved to be sacked, hope he absolutley hates Blackpool and he treads in dog excrement every day on the beach.

You should get off the fence and tell us what you really think ? 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, David said:

martin_keogh_meme.png

I feel very seen!

Been meaning to bring this up in the Pride thread because I’ve only just read the book but I think there’s a very interesting question that gets hinted at both in Clement’s era and also Pearson’s. Keogh obviously had a close relationship to Mel and possibly had some influence over Clements sacking. Then a bit later, Bryson when talking about Pearson said he recognised the problems at the club at the time and was looking to solve them.

Keeping in mind, Im one of the biggest CM fans on here and in the camp that we were a better side with RK in I do think it raised some questions 

Did Keogh and Martin have too much influence above the current managers at that time? Was the nucleus of the 13/14 squad not as close knit as you would expect (in fairness I think there’s hints of this elsewhere)? How was Keogh and Martin seen in the dressing room?

Probably a chapter or two in this in the follow up!

Just now, TuffLuff said:

I feel very seen!

Been meaning to bring this up in the Pride thread because I’ve only just read the book but I think there’s a very interesting question that gets hinted at both in Clement’s era and also Pearson’s. Keogh obviously had a close relationship to Mel and possibly had some influence over Clements sacking. Then a bit later, Bryson when talking about Pearson said he recognised the problems at the club at the time and was looking to solve them.

Keeping in mind, Im one of the biggest CM fans on here and in the camp that we were a better side with RK in I do think it raised some questions 

Did Keogh and Martin have too much influence above the current managers at that time? Was the nucleus of the 13/14 squad not as close knit as you would expect (in fairness I think there’s hints of this elsewhere)? How was Keogh and Martin seen in the dressing room?

Probably a chapter or two in this in the follow up!

I would imagine every football club has players that have influence in the dressing room, footballers will know it's easier to replace the manager than it is the whole squad, especially the key players that are sat on huge contracts and know the team is built around them.

Look at Chelsea when Terry was there with Lampard.

You will have those key players which if the manager loses their trust, confidence, whatever it is, the manager has no chance. How that get's back to the owner be it through direct communication or performances on the pitch will differ at each club, but they will know when it's time to change.