Can we beat the relegation?

Cisse

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I have no idea why bookmakers close their books - are they gonna pay out do you think? Maybe a temporary thing like on Rafa for our manager?

They would only close their books if they thought the outcome that was being bet on was such a certainty then as you quite rightly said they would lose money on it as a business if further bets were laid.

And for that to be pulled with half the season left to go assuming no points deduction and with us still within touching distance of the other teams does point to them considering a deduction is likely 

This season is totally barmy.

Anything could happen.

Relegation is possible and it will be the focus of the rest of the season to avoid that. We’ll know more at the end of the transfer window because the takeover, if it doesn’t happen, won’t matter then.

I’ll take a look at the squad then and assess what might be. Right now we wait and see. 

I suspect the takeover is over but it’s just my opinion. I think what was telling was that everyone over here thought it was going to be done on 24th Dec and now nobody living in cold climate including Mel has any idea when or if it’s happening. I think they’ll drop it.

Started reading at the beginning of this thread but it just got too depressing. Then I started thinking "What if the takeover doesn't happen and the Sheikh turns out to have been a timewaster? Mel's rich but not at the level that he can keep pumping in money to cover Covid-sized losses." My business experience with Arabs is limited, but all of it has been bad so if I had to make a prediction I would say that the takeover will not go through. That would mean that unless the Covid clears quickly and fans are allowed back in, administration is a serious possibility with a consequent points deduction and no prospect of staying up.

If I'm wrong and the takeover does go through, that will (hopefully) bring financial stability for the long term. It will need to go through quickly, though, if we are going to be able to strengthen the squad in this transfer window.

Never thought of myself as one of the "wrist slashers", but I'm struggling to be optimistic right now.

15 hours ago, angieram said:

There are quite a few posters on this Forum that I wouldn't want behind me. I'd fear a knife between the shoulder-blades!

I was going to jokingly recommend an Amazon Anti stab vest at £75, then I thought what a terrible thing to make a joke of, given the prevalence of knife crime these days.

9 hours ago, ramit said:

The next game will show the reaction within the team under Rooney, win it and we have hope again

I agree. However, whilst results are far more important than performances just now I think it will be the performance rather than the result that will provide an indication of reaction.

Play much better but still lose may suggest a positive reaction. On the other hand, play badly but some how scrape a win may well be preferable but wouldn't necessarily provide evidence of a reaction. 

Can we escape the drop? Absolutely. With everything that's gone on, and with the bare bone squad we have, we are still level with safety. As Forest have done, a couple of wins and suddenly everything looks rosy.

Rotherham aside, performances have been improving steadily since Rooney took over. 

But it will take some senior players to really up their game - the likes of Waghorn and Lawrence particularly - if we're to make it, along with hanging onto Knight and Sibley in particular. Bielik will need to stay fit. Joswiak will need to improve his final ball. 

It'll be tight, but we can do it. 

But so much depends on the takeover. If it happens this week and we can get a couple of bodies in, it might make all the difference quickly and we can scramble a few places up the table. If it doesn't, surely we can't be far away from administration and with a 12 point deduction then none it the above will matter anyway. 

20 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

They would only close their books if they thought the outcome that was being bet on was such a certainty then as you quite rightly said they would lose money on it as a business if further bets were laid.

And for that to be pulled with half the season left to go assuming no points deduction and with us still within touching distance of the other teams does point to them considering a deduction is likely 

This isn't true - they'll close their books when there's uncertainty, such as whether we will face a points deduction if we don't pay our players ASAP.

It's like with the Chorley game. I managed to get on Chorley to win at 11/1 after the news of COVID in our first team before SkyBet took the game off the market. They re-assessed what was happening, brought the game back on the market with much shortened odds for Chorley to win.

Once the points deduction issue becomes clearer to them, they'll reintroduce the bet to the market with odds reflecting the outcome. Whilst that's up in the air it's impossible for them to price our relegation properly. 

There is some real wrist slashing posts in this thread, tonight once again proves we are nowhere near ready to be written off.

Rooney is getting us to play much better football, defensive shape is largely there, all we need is a bit more goal scoring threat in general, as again tonight we are creating chances under Rooney.

Yes the Rotherham loss was depressing, I kept off here after that game, but one poor game shouldn’t stop the upward momentum Rooney is creating. Keep the faith people.

Just now, Zag zig said:

There is some real wrist slashing posts in this thread, tonight once again proves we are nowhere near ready to be written off.

Rooney is getting us to play much better football, defensive shape is largely there, all we need is a bit more goal scoring threat in general, as again tonight we are creating chances under Rooney.

Yes the Rotherham loss was depressing, I kept off here after that game, but one poor game shouldn’t stop the upward momentum Rooney is creating. Keep the faith people.

I see it slightly differently unfortunately.

We've proved we can eke results against the top sides - it looks impressive on paper but the reality is its just 3 points. Bizarrely our record against the top 6 (W3, D2, L2) is better than our record against the entire rest of the division (W2, D5, L10) & that has got to change substantially for us to stay up.

5-2-3 & a hard-working midfield worked a treat tonight against ambitious opponents but more often than not, we'll be pressed to within an inch of our lives (particularly Bielik). I've seen little evidence that Rooney is able to put a team out to combat a high press, to repeatedly threaten teams who don't give us space or change the pattern of games in which we're second best or go behind. Add to that the habit of losing results late on against teams around us (and the advantage they get from these '6 pointers') means I'm still struggling to identify 3 teams worse than us.

11 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I see it slightly differently unfortunately.

We've proved we can eke results against the top sides - it looks impressive on paper but the reality is its just 3 points. Bizarrely our record against the top 6 (W3, D2, L2) is better than our record against the entire rest of the division (W2, D5, L10) & that has got to change substantially for us to stay up.

5-2-3 & a hard-working midfield worked a treat tonight against ambitious opponents but more often than not, we'll be pressed to within an inch of our lives (particularly Bielik). I've seen little evidence that Rooney is able to put a team out to combat a high press, to repeatedly threaten teams who don't give us space or change the pattern of games in which we're second best or go behind. Add to that the habit of losing results late on against teams around us (and the advantage they get from these '6 pointers') means I'm still struggling to identify 3 teams worse than us.

Usually like some of your posts so I’m not going to squabble. Yes it worked tonight because of more space, yes we need to play through a press better but I’ll come back to you after the next 6 games with my glass half full now ??

Archived