Can we beat the relegation?

Cisse

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Nope and im normally mr optimistic but all the signs are that we are done.

Yes it does look that way. So for me, short term pessimism. However, I do have long term optimism, as there are a fair few clubs who have been relegated to L1, regrouped and returned stronger. Perhaps once the failed takeover is out of the way, Mr Morris can decide whether to re structure or put the club into administration, and then at least we know where we stand and plan accordingly. 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes it does look that way. So for me, short term pessimism. However, I do have long term optimism, as there are a fair few clubs who have been relegated to L1, regrouped and returned stronger. Perhaps once the failed takeover is out of the way, Mr Morris can decide whether to re structure or put the club into administration, and then at least we know where we stand and plan accordingly. 

1 problem-many others havnt

Sunderland, Bolton, Bradford, Portsmouth, Coventry to name a few

46 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

And theres no way you can be sure he wont get us out of this mess or whether the takeover is going to happen

You’re right I can’t be certain he won’t get us out of this mess, but I’m far from convinced. And, more importantly, I think an experienced manager would be more likely to save us. 

On the takeover, it’s just not going to happen. It really isn’t.

13 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

1 problem-many others havnt

Sunderland, Bolton, Bradford, Portsmouth, Coventry to name a few

Yep. There are as many teams that drop down and get stuck in the mire of third tier football.

It took the goons and Leeds three seasons to get out of there.

I wouldn't be too hopeful of us bouncing straight back.

I didn’t think relegation was a possibility earlier in the season, but misguided decision after misguided decision by the club has left it looking rather inevitable.

I think the club needs to start planning for life in League One. We’re halfway through the current transfer window and the takeover isn’t complete and the instability and uncertainty of all that has left the club on its knees.

Will the completion of the takeover and some transfer activity late in the window help? I am not convinced. We are playing catch up compared to other clubs. The recruitment team miss the mark at the best of times, are they going to deliver in a real hour of need?

As much as 3-4 new signings would possibly give us a shot in the arm, I don’t see the point in rushing around in the last week of the window and bringing in new signings out of blind panic. When has that ever worked out for us?

We need to start preparing for a reset in League One and giving Rooney the best platform to succeed next season. We need to make sure the vision, the strategy, the planning and the finances are all aligned, so Rooney can thrive in the transfer market this summer. We’ve left it too late to do anything else I feel.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I didn’t think relegation was a possibility earlier in the season, but misguided decision after misguided decision by the club has left it looking rather inevitable.

I think the club needs to start planning for life in League One. We’re halfway through the current transfer window and the takeover isn’t complete and the instability and uncertainty of all that has left the club on its knees.

Will the completion of the takeover and some transfer activity late in the window help? I am not convinced. We are playing catch up compared to other clubs. The recruitment team miss the mark at the best of times, are they going to deliver in a real hour of need?

As much as 3-4 new signings would possibly give us a shot in the arm, I don’t see the point in rushing around in the last week of the window and bringing in new signings out of blind panic. When has that ever worked out for us?

We need to start preparing for a reset in League One and giving Rooney the best platform to succeed next season. We need to make sure the vision, the strategy, the planning and the finances are all aligned, so Rooney can thrive in the transfer market this summer. We’ve left it too late to do anything else I feel.

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet

Yes it's tough ask without new players but we are only in the bottom three on goal difference

We can stay up but it'll be extremely tough from here

50 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I said last season that we would be relagation fodder then, and we were lucky not to be

Deffo going down this year, wouldn't be surprised if league 2 beckoned the following season. Clubs rotten to the core with uncle mel involved

In 35 seconds You've Married Me, Buried Me and Given Me Widow Skin Trouble.

Rodney trotter 1985

12 minutes ago, Ramley Apple said:

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet

Yes it's tough ask without new players but we are only in the bottom three on goal difference

We can stay up but it'll be extremely tough from here

It’s not necessarily throwing in the towel, but more about being realistic about where we are as a club - a prime candidate for relegation and a club that needs to get itself in order from top to bottom. That’s not going to happen in a matter of days and if we do any business in this window, it’s from a position of weakness.

You say we are in the bottom three on goal difference but it’s a false position in many ways. Rotherham have two games in hand on us and Sheff Wed are only level on points with us by virtue of their points deduction. That’s before you even consider the likes of QPR, Forest, Birmingham, Millwall and Coventry who are all five points or more ahead of us.

To me, time is ticking away and that will only leave us making signings in desperation and over extending ourselves - a plan that would suggest we haven’t learnt our lesson.

Is it impossible for us to stay up? No. Is it likely in the circumstances and situation we have created for ourselves? No. So we should start planning accordingly.

1 hour ago, RamontheMoor said:

I'll reserve my judgement until after the transfer window......if Rooney doesn't sign 3-4 quality players ( including at least one proven goalscorer), I really fear the worst. We just aren't good enough as a squad.

Sounds bizarre when max bird literally said at the start of the season 'we need to get promoted this season'

We really need to stop conceding late goals. 13/25 of our goals conceded this season have been in the last 15 minutes. We’d be on 32 points right now if we hadn’t conceded any of those goals. 

Another thing that I’ve noticed about us is that when we score first and early on in the game we play very well.  For example, Swansea and Birmingham. Had we not scored from that free kick against Swansea we may not have put in the performance we did. 

Currently our top priories are: Stop conceding late goals, try to get the first goal early on and if we do concede, at least try to outscore the opposition. We haven’t won a game yet this season where the opposition has also scored. That sounds like a good thing because all of our wins have been clean sheets, but it really isn’t. It just tells me that once we concede a goal we completely collapse as a team, and that’s a common trait relegation-threatened clubs have. 

5 hours ago, JarodyDCFC said:

We really need to stop conceding late goals. 13/25 of our goals conceded this season have been in the last 15 minutes. We’d be on 32 points right now if we hadn’t conceded any of those goals. 

Another thing that I’ve noticed about us is that when we score first and early on in the game we play very well.  For example, Swansea and Birmingham. Had we not scored from that free kick against Swansea we may not have put in the performance we did. 

Currently our top priories are: Stop conceding late goals, try to get the first goal early on and if we do concede, at least try to outscore the opposition. We haven’t won a game yet this season where the opposition has also scored. That sounds like a good thing because all of our wins have been clean sheets, but it really isn’t. It just tells me that once we concede a goal we completely collapse as a team, and that’s a common trait relegation-threatened clubs have. 

There's also a familiar theme with these late goals...they tend to be in home matches v limited opposition. We've dropped 6 points from conceding late against Wycombe, Coventry, Preston & Rotherham...all whilst under Rooney.

I think the gameplan against these sides needs a rethink. Playing 2 battlers in midfield (Knight & Shinnie) leaves us with precious little attacking threat when you consider the opposition just sit back & nullify the threat from the wingers. Yesterday was a prime example with Jozwiak & Waghorn spectators for a lot of it & made us reliant on Buchanan & Byrne for any width & quality into the box. It also sees Shinnie far too advanced for someone with his quality...got a lot of time for the guy but our best chances seem to be falling to him currently which is not ideal.

I think we need a striker playing in amongst Kazim against these types of sides & try and get ahead as early as possible. It may mean us being more direct to bypass the aggresive midfield press but Kazim is very capable of securing quality ball in the final 3rd. I'm not a massive fan of Marriott but he'd be ideal for this (were he still here)...Stretton & Hector-Ingram could also work there. 

11 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

No I don't think we can. 

Rooney has basically said today if the takeover doesn't happen then we won't be signing anyone this window. 

The state of that bench today was worrying to say the least. Bar say Sibley there's not one player on that bench that you could bring on to affect the game in a positive way.

Holmes is clearly on his way. Lawrence is injured and Ibe I really doubt will ever kick a football for us. 

This takeover will not happen. When you are talking to someone everyday who is intent on buying something from you and says they will pay the money but weeks and months go by and there's no sign of any money. At what point do you start to say "I don't think this man is serious here nor do I think he's got the money and nor do I think he's going to pay us" Worrying for me is that Mel had even thought about looking elsewhere. 

Why would anyone in their right mind want to buy a football club that:-

1. Has next to no income.

2. Buying a football club in a month where the first thing you have to do will be to spend money on 3/4 players.

3. A club that is going to end up in League One.

That interview with Stephen Pearce had only made me even more certain that this takeover won't go through. 

But now I've reached the point where the excitement for that takeover has gone and now I'm unsure if I want it to go ahead because they clearly do not have the money. 

If they had the money and they wanted this club then they would have bought us now.

Right now I've never felt so detached from this football club. Even when that goal went in today I didn't react. I wasn't bothered. Which hurts more than anything. 

The club is in disarray with an owner that doesn't care and has ran the club into the ground. Football without fans is nothing yet the fans are the ones that are left in the lurch without anything from Mel Morris.

All I know is we need a minimum of 3/4 players this window or we're down.

That's not going to happen when we can't afford to pay the ones we have now.

The club is an utter shambles.

Right now is(times like this over the years) the time I feel MORE ATTACHED to the club , cause it’s times like these we are all it’s really got, 50 odd years of following this club and it’s ingrained in the fabric of who you are and this bloody hurts ,

for me only mm can turn this around just now , seems to me he is the only person with the means and motive to put the wedge in to pay the players and bring in the ones we need to stay up ,,, whether he does that or not is another matter 

Yes. Can’t score goals - not even got any players who score goals.

Not even changing the system to score goals.

Don’t sign a goal scoring striker, it’s all over.

I actually think we need to move to a 4-4-2 now because the lack of any runners in behind is so scary.

8 hours ago, RamontheMoor said:

I'll reserve my judgement until after the transfer window......if Rooney doesn't sign 3-4 quality players ( including at least one proven goalscorer), I really fear the worst. We just aren't good enough as a squad.

There is no doubt that we have got ourselves in a right mess both on and off the pitch under Mel’s tenure but, I wonder how many people (not necessarily you) are criticising Mel for our financial problems are also calling for 3-4 quality players including a proven goal scorer? That isn’t going to come cheap.

Hopefully Rooney will be angry with that performance and result and give the players a kick up the backside. We’re not conceding many but obviously scoring is the issue. There isn’t much difference in this league from a team near the bottom to a team mid table. Just need to start getting goals. Hopefully something will click in the next game or so because we need a winning run abs we need it soon 

I think we will be safe, but not if we play like we did yesterday, no passion or desire, or showing that they gave a damn yesterday.

Archived