Can we beat the relegation?

Cisse

40 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

I said we are staying up I said we are staying up.

Yes we will stay up, but if any of the squad are reading this, you need to leave nothing on the pitch lads, you did today unfortunately.

Hmm, think you’ve got that one wrong. 

it’s “leave EVERYTHING on the pitch”, or “leave NOTHING behind in the dressing room, take everything on the pitch”. 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

COVID-19 

Does anything else really matter. Players told not to get too close after scoring. The infection rate in football is every bit as bad as everywhere else and they have families like the rest of us to worry about.  Many must wonder why their job is deemed essential.

I can’t take this season seriously. Under FA direction we had to play a 4th string team in the cup. We have the club being sold in just about the stupidest circumstances it is possible to sell a club and we seem to expect clarity. 
You would need to be nuts to buy us. Even more so after a loss at home to a relegation rival.

I’m not going to get wound up about it because frankly the situation if farcical. I’m just going to see where we are when it all washes out then take my seat at PP, if I’m lucky enough to avoid the worst, and take it from there.

1 hour ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Are you high? Are you aware we have played the worst 6 teams in the league,  5 of them under Rooney and we have lost 4 of them and drawn 2 and scored 2 goals in them 6 games,  2 points from 18 , go and have a hard look in the mirror then headbutt it , might knock some reality into you ??

Are you aware we have done better against so called better teams? You can't create trends based on league positions 

14 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Are those 4 our must keep players? I tend to agree.

i for one would sell Sibley whilst we can still get a good price for him. No point in him being on the bench and making brief late appearances 

then we cold invest in players who can actually influence games

Shinnie shouldn't be so important, but in a poor side he's essential. No one else will offer the fight and break up play that he brings.

Bielik is the only one of our midfield who can break the lines through passing or movement with the ball, and have the vision to create. 

Every decent team needs a Knight, whatever level they are. Sets the tempo for everyone else to follow.

We'd be gone without already without Clarke, literally the only proper centre back at the club.

As for Sibley, I honestly think he's a great player for a good team, and we simply haven't got a good team. I'd keep hold unless a stupid offer came in, in the hope we'd become a good team in time.

In a strong team, I think he'd be the difference between promotion or not, and I don't think we'll get maximum value yet.

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

What exactly is up with him, I've not seen?

I think it's still that knock on his ankle, which seemed to exacerbate a previous injury - when it happened during the match you could see his ankle was already heavily strapped. 

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Bielik is the only one of our midfield who can break the lines through passing or movement with the ball, and have the vision to create. 

He's looked very tired and leggy recently (understandable), he nearly got sent off today with one of his (throwback) lunges at the ball/man. 

It’s certainly possible but at the moment it’s in the balance.

The bottom four are being cast adrift and not many points between them.

If that gap to fourth bottom starts to widen then we are in desperate trouble. Rotherham have two games in hand and buoyed by beating us l, they could make that break.

I’d take fourth bottom right now given how things look!

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

We have Wayne Rooney in charge who knows a bit about football , total rookie is an insult to a legend of the game , Wayne knows who he wants out the club and who he wants to bring in , give him the tools for the job and he will get us out of this mess

His past achievements as a player are pretty irrelevant now. Being a manager is a totally different role, and he’s a rookie to that role. That’s not an insult, it’s a fact. He might turn out to be very good at it. I’m not convinced, but it’s difficult to tell. My point is, this isn’t the time to be giving a rookie a chance, when we’re in such danger of relegation. There’s absolutely no way you can be sure he’ll get us out of this mess, even if he is given the players he wants - which he won’t be, because this takeover isn’t going to happen.

I did say 20th place a couple of weeks ago but that's starting to look a long shot as things stand.

We look pretty good against teams that give us a bit of space (Swansea, Birmingham after they conceded early) but any side that congests the middle is able to easily neuter us. There needs to be flexibility & variety to beat sides that set up like this (mostly bottom half sides) but I see previous few signs from Rooney he is able to positively affect a game once it has started. Today Bielik was being sat on & Kazim wasnt getting anything into him...that wasnt addressed at any stage & only 2 subs used again. 

No point going on about the takeover or hoping we get a new broom of players...neither is going to happen in time. The one thing we can do is stop wasting McClaren's experience upstairs & get him involved in Rooney's set up. The heads in the dugout currently are all learning on the job & need assistance.

Today marked the midpoint of the season. 54 points is the highest tally a side has been relegated from this division so stands to reason we should be looking at 55 as a target. To get there we need 36 points from the last 23 games...72 points if averaged over a season i.e. playoff position form. We've been beaten by Sheffield Weds & Rotherham in our last two. I think we're going down.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's looked very tired and leggy recently (understandable), he nearly got sent off today with one of his (throwback) lunges at the ball/man. 

He did today, but who else can play there? Not Bird, he's for a 2 cdm system, or further forward.

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

We have Wayne Rooney in charge who knows a bit about football , total rookie is an insult to a legend of the game , Wayne knows who he wants out the club and who he wants to bring in , give him the tools for the job and he will get us out of this mess

I don't share your misguided faith in Rooney.

He's knows a bit about the game from his footballing pedigree as a player but whether this will translate into being an effective and adept manager is a different kettle of fish entirely.

And we don't have the luxury of allowing a person time to see if they are actually cut out for the job or not. 

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Today marked the midpoint of the season. 54 points is the highest tally a side has been relegated from this division so stands to reason we should be looking at 55 as a target. To get there we need 36 points from the last 23 games...72 points if averaged over a season i.e. playoff position form. We've been beaten by Sheffield Weds & Rotherham in our last two. I think we're going down

Points needed to stay up will be lower this season I'm sure. Don't give up hope yet

Archived