If you train right you'll be in me thoughts.

RoyMac5

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s a sound bite that literally every new manager uses. Doesn’t mean a lot. I’m sure Rooney, having already been here a while, knows exactly who he wants in his team, and who he wants to move on. I’m sure he also has some idea of who he’d ideally like to bring in, but God knows what will happen on that front with the takeover.

Vacuous new manager hyperbole. 

Never heard a new manager say I'm going to come in and and make a total gash job of things and wee the transfer budget up the wall on dross.

Least we've got a manager now I suppose can't think who else would have wanted this job otherwise. Jury is still out on Rooney for me.

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Vacuous new manager hyperbole. 

Never heard a new manager say I'm going to come in and and make a total gash job of things and wee the transfer budget up the wall on dross.

Least we've got a manager now I suppose can't think who else would have wanted this job otherwise. Jury is still out on Rooney for me.

Don’t disagree, but it still makes me feel a bit better to hear it.

What could he say that would make you feel a bit better?

31 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Don’t disagree, but it still makes me feel a bit better to hear it.

What could he say that would make you feel a bit better?

Nothing really - was just an empty soundbite just like all the other new managers we've had and look at how some of those have turned out. 

I know he's got to say something but actions speak louder than words and for me the jury is still out on Rooney.

Let's hope he can rise to the challenge. 

We need a striker. If Cocu had one then he wouldn’t have been sacked. 
The board didn’t stump up for Dursan which ultimately cost him his job.

Rooney has inherited the same problem and this has to be addressed in this window.

I’m still nervous about the takeover but it is this that is fundamental to how our season ends up and it will define Rooney’s future too.

I’m hoping he knows something about the takeover because if he doesn’t and we have to blunder through this season without significant improvement in the striking department then his legacy may already be behind him.

I like many did not dwell much on Rooney prior to him coming to Derby and when he did come I thought it was only a question of time before he got this job. I also thought he would be looking beyond us, and I’m sure he is, but I think he’s honest enough to want to earn a shot at United or Everton, by demonstrating his ability here. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Nothing really - was just an empty soundbite just like all the other new managers we've had and look at how some of those have turned out. 

I know he's got to say something but actions speak louder than words and for me the jury is still out on Rooney.

Let's hope he can rise to the challenge. 

Have you not noticed the difference in quality since Wazza took sole charge? 

5 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

Rooney has inherited the same problem and this has to be addressed in this window.

I’m still nervous about the takeover but it is this that is fundamental to how our season ends up and it will define Rooney’s future too.

I’m hoping he knows something about the takeover because if he doesn’t and we have to blunder through this season without significant improvement in the striking department then his legacy may already be behind him.

I like many did not dwell much on Rooney prior to him coming to Derby and when he did come I thought it was only a question of time before he got this job. I also thought he would be looking beyond us, and I’m sure he is, but I think he’s honest enough to want to earn a shot at United or Everton, by demonstrating his ability here. 

I believe you need to re-think that part as it doesn’t properly reflect reality. 

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Vacuous new manager hyperbole

Why is it? Do you not see a difference since. Wazza took sole charge? Perhaps it’s linked to a previous situation at Derby where there wasn’t much of a link between training and match day? Perhaps Wazza is trying to re-establish a broken link. Apparently under Cocu, training didn’t have much intensity and there didn’t seem to be links between games and training. Maybe it isn’t vacuous then? Nor hype but an important message to the players? 

14 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

Not having a striker didn't cost cocu his job.

Playing slow methodical, possession football without hardly any attacking intent and shipping goals cost him his job imo.

2 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Not having a striker didn't cost cocu his job.

Playing slow methodical, possession football without hardly any attacking intent and shipping goals cost him his job imo.

Really?

This is a results driven game. Only one team out played us this season and that was Boro.

We were in every other game and I’ve lost count how many time Cocu rued us not capitalising when on top. It was the lack of a striker that stopped us. And it’s the same for Rooney.

People have short memories. Cocu still had the support of most on here until he was replaced. If we had of had a striker we’d have won a few more games and he’d still be in charge.

I’m not advocating returning to Cocu just that the same problem exists and if it’s not addressed it will dog Rooney too.

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

If you don't you won't be in the squad. Rooney has told the players this.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/01/rooney-im-ready-to-put-the-work-in-and-get-this-club-moving-forward

I'm really excited about the rest of the season. Lets hope January transfer window brings some surprises too.

We're off again, the games afoot! Come on you Rams!

I'd be surprised if we sign anyone if that counts. 

30 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

Really?

This is a results driven game. Only one team out played us this season and that was Boro.

We were in every other game and I’ve lost count how many time Cocu rued us not capitalising when on top. It was the lack of a striker that stopped us. And it’s the same for Rooney.

People have short memories. Cocu still had the support of most on here until he was replaced. If we had of had a striker we’d have won a few more games and he’d still be in charge.

I’m not advocating returning to Cocu just that the same problem exists and if it’s not addressed it will dog Rooney too.

The problem was, we were not creating the chances as we were to worried about losing the ball and inevitably we'd concede.

I agree we were never really battered by most teams but in this league and the quality of the strikers that play in this league, you need 4-5 chances per goal scored roughly. We were just not creating those chances per GAME, never mind per goal.

Having a striker makes no difference if he wasn't getting the service.

I was always a fan of Cocu and i'm still sorry it didn't work out as I believe he is a good manager. But his philosophy just didn't work in this league.

Just my opinion of course ?

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

If you don't you won't be in the squad. Rooney has told the players this.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/01/rooney-im-ready-to-put-the-work-in-and-get-this-club-moving-forward

I'm really excited about the rest of the season. Lets hope January transfer window brings some surprises too.

We're off again, the games afoot! Come on you Rams!

I thought Rooney handled that whole press conference very well. Big contrast between the national journalists just wanting their soundbites on his career and the local ones who actually know something about the club. I don't think Rooney put a foot wrong (excuse the pun).

I like the fact that he steers the discussion back to the players and the team and what they need to do to be in his side. Maybe we will see some surprising departures and/or arrivals. Picked out Shinnie for a special mention in how a player can improve.

Very diplomatic when asked specifically about Gordon and Holmes, said a lot without actually saying it! 

20 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

Really?

Not sure what your definition of out played is but without going back through match stats I can safely say both Reading and Blackburn completely battered us.

Archived