Play off Final

Seaside Ram

The defining  moment for me was after Marriott scored. That goal had been coming for about 5 mins, our head of steam was up and then Mings lay in the penalty area and eventually hobbled off behind the goal. Total time about 7 minutes, completely ruined our momentum. Blatant professionalism

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thought I had at the time is that had QPR played with 11 men for the 90 minutes, we might have won. They parked the bus and we just could not get past 10 defenders. We seemed the better team even up to the sending off on 60 minutes.

9 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

I incorrectly assumed that Mel would have a back up plan should the current take over fall through...

Maybe. I'm not sure he'd say he (or rather Pearce) would say so maybe until they could implement it - is there a way to back out of a deal if (supposedly) all you're waiting on is the dosh?

11 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Did anyone else just depress themselves even more by just re watching that on sky sports ? 

How the duck  did we lose that after the Leeds game . Villa were absolute Dog poo ! 

I’m off to bed ?

Quite simple Frank Lampard team selection lost us that game,atrocious

6 minutes ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

I know, how pathetic putting out the same team that beat Leeds in the semis. We were bound to lose.

But surely the point is that the team that really beat Leeds included Marriott. We were 1-0 down in the second leg, 2-0 on aggregate, before he came on.

1 hour ago, ScamRam said:

The defining  moment for me was after Marriott scored. That goal had been coming for about 5 mins, our head of steam was up and then Mings lay in the penalty area and eventually hobbled off behind the goal. Total time about 7 minutes, completely ruined our momentum. Blatant professionalism

I fully believed we would get the second goal but ultimately we just ran out of time. Shame. We were all over them for the last 20 minutes but it's easy to do that when you're 2-0 down. We just didn't get going in the first half. That being said, there was very little in the game. 

2 hours ago, BIllyD said:

Do you think the QPR loss was down to SM ?

I did watch the Leeds games and for not only the majority of the play offs but in the league as well, they were by far the better team. I remember we played, Villa a few weeks before, we got battered. Leeds crumbled, we were in the same situation as we were at Wembley, where we had nothing to lose, just came off for us.

Dont get me wrong, personally I would have started JM, but it always intrigues me why FL get the blame for the loss, but SM doesn't.

at the time I did.  After the sending off they gave us the wings and we fell for it.  Dunne just snuffed everything out whereas the more direct style which led to the sending off was more effective given their lack of mobility.  Just felt that SM thought extra time was where we would hurt them.  The subs were a bit weird taking off Will and Johnny and waiting until very late before introducing Bamford.  Still think we could still be playing that game today and still not scored

3 hours ago, TimRam said:

Marriott did well in semi final...Lampard has him on bench in final could be another reason we lost.

The same Marriott who went on to score a goal every game he played since? The one who's never been out of our starting XI due to his blistering pace and precision finishing?

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Nah, not having that. Indecisive goalkeeping was the difference that day. 

Definitely one of the factors, the targetting of Cole - as others have mentioned was another. Villa being quicker out of the blocks, getting us on the back foot from the kick off was another. Final one was, like it or not, they were the better team. Sometimes it just happens.

Agree 100% it was not leaving Marriott out that drove the outcome.

43 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

The same Marriott who went on to score a goal every game he played since? The one who's never been out of our starting XI due to his blistering pace and precision finishing?

What he's doing now is irrelevant. At the time of the final he was in form, he'd just won us the game at Leeds. He is the one who actually got us back into the game at Wembley, injecting some much needed energy into the side and scoring a goal. I understand what lampard was trying to do, waghorn and Marriott both looked fresh coming off the bench. But why not start Marriott and bring Bennett off the bench instead?

3 hours ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

I know, how pathetic putting out the same team that beat Leeds in the semis. We were bound to lose.

Think you need to have a look at that,we started with Malone and Holmes in the semi

I get Malone was suspended for the final but he then brings in Huddlestone as a defensive midfielder,comman sense would of said start Marriott while he was on fire and we also had Waghorn available for the Final but not in the Semi 

Archived