Duane Holmes - signed for Huddersfield

Wouldn’t have a massive issue with Holmes being moved on. He’s a lovely bloke, but a very average Championship footballer. Ok, but nothing more. I’d argue both Waghorn and Ibe potentially are better players, so at the moment we’re covered in that right wing position. My main concern would be if we sacked Ibe, which may be a possibility with the ongoing investigation, we would end up short of wingers if Holmes left as well. But that’s probably not something to be concerned about right now. Only thing I would say is that, unlike others, I’d actually be a bit disappointed with only 1m. I mean I get why he might be sold on the cheap - 6 months left on his contract and we’re desperate for any sort of immediate cash to save the club. But a player of his age, with international caps and plenty of Championship experience, I would expect to sell for more like 2-3m in an ideal situation. Similar fee to what we sold Weimann for, for a similar quality player.

FWIW, in our style of play, I see Holmes as more of a winger than a central midfielder now, because of his lack of physicality. If he wants to be playing through the middle, I can understand why we haven’t renewed his deal. He’s not a good enough player to make those sorts of promises to.

I’m conflicted. 

on the one hand, he comes across as a thoroughly decent, sound as f.... lad, who never shirked or was lazy, and tried to get involved on the pitch, also having that bit of a nasty streak we need. Always felt like we missed him when he was out. 

However, in real terms, he flattered to deceive. Whilst looking neat, tidy and sometimes skilful, the contribution cumulatively added up to very very little positive. 

Sad to see the MAN leave, but not too concerned losing the player. 

Edited by Mostyn6
Missed a word out. Didn’t make sense innit!?!?
11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I’m conflicted. 

on the one hand, he comes across as a thoroughly decent, sound as f.... lad, who never shirked or was lazy, and tried to get involved on the pitch, also having that bit of a nasty streak we need. Always felt like we missed him when he was out. 

However, in real terms, he flattered to deceive. Whilst looking neat, tidy and sometimes skilful, the contribution cumulatively added up to very very little positive. 

Sad to see the MAN leave, but not too concerned losing the player. 

Dead right. But in that game against the dirties we came alive when he went off. 

As you say, great bloke, ordinary and not especially ‘effective’ player. 

Selling him for a profit when he only has 6 months on his contract and when let’s face it, he’s had a shocking season. That’s a good deal.

Unfortunately never quite knew where his best position was. In the right system could be effective but not going to happen here.

Best move for all parties but wish him well. Always worked hard and an excellent human being.

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It's a shame, because he's shown flashes that suggest he could be far more than a £1 million player.

However, based on his form in the last 9/10 months, £1 million with six months left on his contract is an excellent fee.

That’s how I view it, remember a Scunthorpe fan telling me he’d be decent and he was once he got his fitness. Then he’s struggled a bit of late, so forget the finances at the club, after 2 and half years he’s been a decent buy but.....

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Duane was a decent buy, but he has lost his place to knight.

keep knight. Sell Holmes.

No problem.

lost his place to emerging talent and he deserves to find a side that will give him more opportunities for starting.

Its a good deal all round and one I’d say thanks Duane and all the best.

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Apparently he turned down a new offer.  More time on twitter than with boots on. No huge loss.

In fairness, he may also want to play for a club where he doesn’t have to second guess whether he will get paid on time for doing his job? 

Nothing worse for a club than the news getting out that they can’t (or don’t) pay wages on time. 

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

derby-county-v-wycombe-wanderers-efl-sky

Don’t really see what his hobbies in his spare time have to do with anything (just as with Jack Marriott). If his manager feels they are affecting his performances I’d suggest it should be dealt with internally. As he was picked for and scored in the game in question it seems he didn’t feel that so don’t see why fans should concern themselves with it.

The fact he felt the need to celebrate as such suggests he feels the fans were out of line in giving him abuse for his choice of hobby and I would tend to agree.