Duane Holmes - signed for Huddersfield

Heisenberg

1 million, with 6 months left on his contract? Thats a great deal for us, especially considering that it is common knowledge we are skint. 

Not a bad player at all, but there's no place for him in the midfield and he is hopeless out wide. Seems like a nice bloke but football is football and this is a good deal. 

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And a good spell when results improved under Cocu. He struggled to get over the injury in March and then couldn't regain his confidence.

We reportedly paid £1m for him from Scunthorpe so should see a modest P&S profit. The cash coming in will mean we can cover December and January wages. Hopefully, the takeover will be complete before Feb wages are due.

We paid nowhere near that much

20 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

We paid nowhere near that much

£1m was the figure I had from memory. Looking in to it more, Scunthorpe sold players for a confirmed £1.4m in the 18/19 season. Townsend (to WBA) and Holmes (to us) were the only players they received fees for. We're looking at a £700k transfer fee, plus agents fees.

He's a natural team player, plays with intelligence & links up well with others.

In a confident attacking team, a settled squad with results largely going for them he's a good stand-in for someone in a Mason Mount-esque role. Obviously his play isn't on that level, but he'll slot in and do a good job (very good, at times) in someone else's absence without ever quite doing enough to take the starting slot permanently.

If you drop him into a poorer team and expect him to shine, it's probably not going to happen for him - he'll have his moments but ultimately if he's not part of a 'working unit' his inconsistent final ball / decision will be highlighted more often.

He's not going to drag the standard of those around him up like some players do, but that's not a slight on him as a player, it's just the level of player he is.

14 minutes ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

very likeable bloke but as a footballer, for me, i just dont know what he brings to the team.

doesnt score. doesnt assist. doesnt tackle. very injury prone. 

i know folk on here like him. but for £1m id snap their arm off

Surely you'd drive him there? ??

36 minutes ago, Coconut said:

He's a natural team player, plays with intelligence & links up well with others.

In a confident attacking team, a settled squad with results largely going for them he's a good stand-in for someone in a Mason Mount-esque role. Obviously his play isn't on that level, but he'll slot in and do a good job (very good, at times) in someone else's absence without ever quite doing enough to take the starting slot permanently.

If you drop him into a poorer team and expect him to shine, it's probably not going to happen for him - he'll have his moments but ultimately if he's not part of a 'working unit' his inconsistent final ball / decision will be highlighted more often.

He's not going to drag the standard of those around him up like some players do, but that's not a slight on him as a player, it's just the level of player he is.

Agree. I liked him as he could change games on his day. However I feel that he picks up too many injuries. 

Good player when he wants to be but doesn't show it enough. Never seems to be fully fit either. A very handy squad player to have unfortunately we're not in a position to keep players like him around & certainly not at the price were allegedly being offered for him

There are so many fish to fry at the moment .. if he goes he goes .. we have younger players with potential and ability coming through .. but I’ll be very sad .. I really liked Duane .. one of those players  that when they leave you always keep an eye on them. A team player who gives everything on the pitch. Can tackle, can run with ball and beat a man .. a top class ferret. I was always happy when he was on the team sheet .. yes the recent injury and lack of form has dulled his shine a bit but I won’t forget him in a hurry. 

After two-and-a-half years seeing Holmes' mediocre contribution, I will be happy to see him shipped out. A very ordinary journeyman player that never established a telling role in the team.

£1m to Huddersfield is welcome income; the player has slipped down the pecking order after several unproductive displays.

Adding in an apparent breakdown in contract negotiations makes it an even more compelling reason to move the player on. 

Thanks for.....well, erm....thanks Duane.

Archived