Academy’s hard work

Topram

One of the worst outcomes from all this is the potential possibility of having to sell the likes off Knight Sibley bird etc.

The work the academy staff and the money from Mel that has been put in to make ours one of the best academy’s in England will be sickening to see them all sold off on the cheap to raise funds, the time spent making these young stars wasn’t meant for this, it’ll be a massive shame to lose anyone of them especially for a pathetic amount. 

I know we aren’t at that stage yet but it’s a likely possibility that all the hard work put in could be totally wiped out due to this pathetic take over scenario.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the model though, isn't it? Invest in your Academy so that your produce talent who are good enough get the team fighting for promotion, or good enough to sell for big money if you're not? If the finances really are as buggrd as the media seems to suggest, then selling Sibley, Bird, or Knight (or all three) to pay the wages would be a kick in the teeth, but might be the only way to avoid being put into administration. 

Honestly, it just makes me sad. The one positive we have had over the last 18 months of farce is that our academy lads are talented, hungry and want to be here. Even when it inevitable comes to selling them I was confident we would get the right sort of fees to build the squad.

We couldn't even make that stick. Im genuinely disgusted at the situation we find ourselves in.

2 minutes ago, desirelines said:

That's the model though, isn't it? Invest in your Academy so that your produce talent who are good enough get the team fighting for promotion, or good enough to sell for big money if you're not? If the finances really are as buggrd as the media seems to suggest, then selling Sibley, Bird, or Knight (or all three) to pay the wages would be a kick in the teeth, but might be the only way to avoid being put into administration. 

If we go into admin we won't get 'big money'.

Administration (and relegation) vs selling our most promising youngsters vs sell older players at a P&S loss (and P&S points deduction and  possible relegation). The 3rd option is the most appealing to me right now.

I can't see Mel letting this happen though. It's the only good thing remaining from his time as owner.

11 minutes ago, desirelines said:

The model is to sell them off what they are worth personally think Knight is worth 25 million Sibley 15 Bird 7/8 but we will likely get about 3/4 million for all of them in this situation 

I’ve just mentioned about this in the transfer thread. It is soul destroying that we could lose these academy stars for considerably less than their worth.

It makes me question whether a category 1 academy is worth it. Derby sell their youth products after a season or two before the first team reaps the full benefits. If the model is for these players to either star in a promotion winning team or sell them to fund a promotion winning team, we mess up on both counts. We sell for way below their value - look at Forest for how it should be done with Burke etc. When we do sell, instead of funding a better team, we use the money to fund paying up contracts or the hits of sales. 

Fingers crossed this ownership mess is sorted before having to sell the best products we’ve produced in decades in a fire sale. 

3 or 4. Out of all the player I do think he’s most expendable. Knight is crucial right not and Sibley could, and not saying he will, but could go on to get a Maddison like fee in a few years time or better become Derby’s answer to Jack Grealish as he’s a massive Derby fan. We also have beliek who we paid big money for in his position. 

Mindset reset needed. We need to sell our best players, whether we're in financial trouble or not.

A few years ago, Porto decided that they will never be as big as the clubs in neighbouring Spain. Sevilla have decided they can't directly compete with Barcelona or Real. And those two aren't small clubs.

Both clubs now punch above their weight in European football (though they have peaks and troughs) and they can attract players knowing that it could be a stepping stone. 

"Selling clubs" is a derogatory term in English football, but if we're going to compete with parachute payment clubs, that's what we will have to be. And that's due to a lack of ambition - it's a direct necessity of ambition. Invest, sell, reinvest.

Before my time, so I might be misquoting here, but didn't Arthur Cox say that as soon as he signed a player, he began to look for his replacement? I think we're at the stage now where when a player makes the first team, we should be looking to develop and/or sign a younger replacement.

A bit like what we've done with Lowe and Buchanan.

The takeover is irrelevant.

What matters is our trading position and the amount of accumulated debt.

Presumably the reduced income due to the pandemic is a major factor.

maybe the takeover process has exposed a worse trading position than anticipated. Recently Wayne Rooney was referring to transfer targets in both scenarios. This raised expectations that we had money to spend when it would now seem that we are totally skint.

We must await a full explanation of what is going on, but it certainly challenges the assessment of those who suggested our executive were doing a great job of steering a route through ffp unless it is indeed the case that plummeting income is the root cause of the trouble. We were told that players had agreed to defer wages, but that would be to accumulate a significant liability.

I will be absolutely gutted if we sell Sibley or Buchanan or knight. As for the rest I’m really not that bothered. But whoever goes - in these circumstances - it will be for peanuts.

30 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I’d sell Malone, Holmes, Lawrence and waghorn in that order if we could generate decent offers

I was talking about the academy grads, out of all of them I don’t mind Bird going, I’m a bit meh with him. Sometimes he’s impressed me but a lot of the time he plays too safe. 

22 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The takeover is irrelevant.

What matters is our trading position and the amount of accumulated debt.

Not this again ?

Presumably the reduced income due to the pandemic is a major factor.

maybe the takeover process has exposed a worse trading position than anticipated. Recently Wayne Rooney was referring to transfer targets in both scenarios. This raised expectations that we had money to spend when it would now seem that we are totally skint.

I always thought it was a couple of cheap loans if no takeover vs permanent signings if it goes through?

We must await a full explanation of what is going on, but it certainly challenges the assessment of those who suggested our executive were doing a great job of steering a route through ffp unless it is indeed the case that plummeting income is the root cause of the trouble. We were told that players had agreed to defer wages, but that would be to accumulate a significant liability.

I will be absolutely gutted if we sell Sibley or Buchanan or knight. As for the rest I’m really not that bothered. But whoever goes - in these circumstances - it will be for peanuts.

I'm 100% with you on the bold bit

It’s a really grim time to be a Derby fan, that’s for sure. We finally produce some absolute top quality talent that we’ve developed ourselves, and once again, we could end up selling them for peanuts, just like Hughes and Huddlestone, to help keep our finances in check. It’s always the same with this club, bloody depressing. Mel’s legacy should have been the great investment he made in the Academy, now it could be that he was the man to bring Derby County to ruin. Wonder what Darren Wassall thinks of all this, with all the effort he’s put into developing these youngsters...

Not only is he happy to leave, we have already been told by @Footymum2017 he wants to leave. This really is a non-story about an academy product that most of you had never even heard of before the cup tie.

If it's a choice of letting his potential go and getting a good sell-on clause for him now, so we can keep hold of Knight or Buchanan, I will take it. 

I wish a few more of you would read before you post.

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

Not only is he happy to leave, we have already been told by @Footymum2017 he wants to leave. This really is a non-story about an academy product that most of you had never even heard of before the cup tie.

If it's a choice of letting his potential go and getting a good sell-on clause for him now, so we can keep hold of Knight or Buchanan, I will take it. 

I wish a few more of you would read before you post.

In not sure who this is aimed at, I have read the thread three times now and the majority of posts are talking about the possibility of selling Knight etc...not a 16 year old from the academy. 

Maybe I need to read it again ?

Archived