Who was the worserest owner(s) of Derby County

Mostyn6

Who (from the list) was worse owner(s)?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Rev said:

Until the season they led us to the play off final Vs QPR, you mean.

Still didn’t put much money in though did they? That’s what I’m talking about. They obviously made some good decisions that year by appointing McClaren, though you can argue that was mainly down to Sam Rush.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Pretty much agree with this. 

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

My choice of worst owners weren't available.

I wanted to vote for whoever sold Steve Bloomer to Middlesbrough in 1906, wtf were they thinking? The greatest player in the world at the time.

Voted Mel as best owner purely on the basis that he wanted the best for his home town club. Same as Sam Longson and Lionel Pickering.

Like @Mostyn6 said, at the time, Mel's choice of manager seemed ok, just never quite worked out but its very fine lines. The play offs are always a lottery and our number just didn't come out.

3 hours ago, Roboram said:

3 amigos 

They did time for ffs 

no argument 

I never asked for worst ever, I asked for the worse and best from the last 15 odd years. If i put up Maxwell or 3 amigos, there would be no point to the conversation. 

i do wonder where Gadsby is right now though and what he’s thinking. 

Tough call this one in all honesty.

The league of gents saved the club, appointed one manager and got us promoted in their first attempt. Bought us with loans but that’s generally how big business deals are conducted these days, not many buy with their own cash.

Adam Pearson, don’t think he actually ever owned the club, he was brought in as chairmen’s by the league of gentlemen to securing a deal with GSE.

G.S.E came in and backed a donkey straight away in Paul Jewell and threw a load of cash at him. Got their fingers burnt and cut costs. Basically gave the football world the blueprint on how to run a steady ship which culminated in the best season in my recent memory (bit too young for bald eagle years) and reaching the play off final, sold to MM and went out on a massive high.

Uncle Mel could do no wrong in his first few seasons, don’t think you’d find a Derby fan in the country that wasn’t happy about seeing him splash the cash, “we sign who we want” was the DCFC motto. Reached the play off final twice but it’s all come crashing down more recently, the money has dried up, very close to breaching FFP so we’ve had to sell our ground and selling on the back of a season which could still see us relegated.

If we go down this season, MM will go down as the worst owner since the 3 amigos without a shadow of a doubt, all the good will and constantly challenging at the right end will be eroded away and his legacy will remain in tatters, will be very sad if that’s how it ends.

Good topic, but maybe if the time frame was extended to 20 years or 25 years there would be a clear winner in the 'worst' category, namely the 3 crooks, about whom we had to protest vociferously outside the ground in our thousands in order to get rid.  The debate here would then be about which of these 4 listed were the best (or least worst).

How about asking which of these 4 produced the best 'feelgood factor' and the best football?  If that were the test then it's Mel for me, as we have mostly been playing well and been in and around the top 6 for most of his tenure, and very nearly went up twice.

Hope the new owners have done their due diligence on the fanbase LOL, because like the legend of King Arthur's knights asleep in a mountain somewhere, the RPG will awaken and ride to the rescue if they try to do a Jeremy Keith (remember him?).

Please can someone change the title of this thread to "Who was the worst owner(s) of Derby County?" It's gettling my pedantry hormones flowing every time I open the page. Or, can we go proper Normanton and have it titled "Who's the worser owner of Derby County?"

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Very tough question that actually. They all had positives and negatives about them. I guess we’re talking about “owners” rather than “chairmen” however, which simplifies things quite a bit. You can only really judge an owner on the ambition they showed, and the money they invested. On that account, certainly until this season, Mel comes out on top. You can’t fault his effort, despite poor decisions all round. At the other end of the scale, GSE showed very little ambition to ever take the club anywhere. They were stable, but very mediocre.

Wait......You found some positives?. Get out of here!!

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Please can someone change the title of this thread to "Who was the worst owner(s) of Derby County?" It's gettling my pedantry hormones flowing every time I open the page. Or, can we go proper Normanton and have it titled "Who's the worser owner of Derby County?"

Is that better?

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

For me the worsest was Adam Pearson. He was definitely the most worserest  ?

7 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Maxwell and 3 Amigos. No-one else comes close!

As the question was framed with 'last 15 years or so', I guess we have to rule out Fat Bob but while the OP wishes to exclude the Three Amigos, I' won't. They are by far and away the winners of this one, I won't even bother to go in to their rap sheet, it's all out there for people to take a look.

The reason that Mel wins takes the 'best' moniker for me is infrastructure, most notably the establishment of a Tier 1 academy. Managers come and go, finances wax and wane, players move on but the building blocks are there for this to be a very successful club. Outside of the PL, even outside of the top 6, no club is doing more for and with its youngsters than Derby and that, in a very large part, is down to Mel Morris. If we were not a Tier 1 academy, the likes of Knight, Sibley, Bird et al wouldn't be here, simple as that. Some may look at the Brentford (and Birmingham now) model but is that sustainable, can that marketplace survive Brexit, can it accommodate more than a couple of clubs? I doubt it.

I would add the upkeep on the stadium, RamsTV, Mel's vision for the land around the stadium, all things that are important to give the club firm ground  to progress.

The problem with all this, of course, is that fans' memories tend to go back little further than how last Saturday, when we lost to Chorley, or at best the last few months so any incumbent where things are not going to plan in the short term is going to be judged as such and those owners from further back? Well the memories may be clouded a little with fairy dust.

14 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Over the last 15 years, who from the list, do you feel was the worst custodian of the club? 

a quick recap: 

League of Gentlemen: rescued the club, but without actually putting money into the club. Guaranteed loans, got us promoted, didn’t invest, cashed in. 

Adam Pearson: sacked Billy, appointed Jewell after offering job to Paul Ince, co-existed alongside GSE for a while before cashing in after appointing Nigel Clough. 

GSE: introduced austerity whilst maximising revenues, unwilling to gamble to succeed and some say, exploited good feeling towards the name Clough to paper over the cracks of stagnation. Nearly went out with unexpected bang when bringing Rush and then McClaren in, before cashing in and trying to claw back their investment. 

Mel Morris: not sure I need to remind most. Took on the club during the feelgood factor, maybe tried to reinvent the wheel. Made (in my opinion) good appointments, but failed (in my opinion) to stick. Will perhaps leave with an unfair legacy, but did back his managers wholeheartedly until the day he didn’t. 

bad - 3 amigo's followed by Maxwell,

best -  Pickering, Mel, the yanks

Also is worsest a word? should it be Worst ? 

Worst by far: The 3 Amigos, very closely followed by Maxwell.

Best: Controversially in my 40 years of following the Rams I’d say GSE, but it’s a very low bar and only say them because of the 13/14 team that gave us so much joy.

Mel joins Lionel in the ‘Meant well but ultimately ballsed it up’ category!

Archived