Who was the worserest owner(s) of Derby County

Mostyn6

Who (from the list) was worse owner(s)?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Over the last 15 years, who from the list, do you feel was the worst custodian of the club? 

a quick recap: 

League of Gentlemen: rescued the club, but without actually putting money into the club. Guaranteed loans, got us promoted, didn’t invest, cashed in. 

Adam Pearson: sacked Billy, appointed Jewell after offering job to Paul Ince, co-existed alongside GSE for a while before cashing in after appointing Nigel Clough. 

GSE: introduced austerity whilst maximising revenues, unwilling to gamble to succeed and some say, exploited good feeling towards the name Clough to paper over the cracks of stagnation. Nearly went out with unexpected bang when bringing Rush and then McClaren in, before cashing in and trying to claw back their investment. 

Mel Morris: not sure I need to remind most. Took on the club during the feelgood factor, maybe tried to reinvent the wheel. Made (in my opinion) good appointments, but failed (in my opinion) to stick. Will perhaps leave with an unfair legacy, but did back his managers wholeheartedly until the day he didn’t. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone seemed to rave about Gadsby and co. They did rescue the club but it was all loans, they never had any actual money. They made a quick buck, didn't invest much money in the premier league and sold to the Americans. But because they were local, they get a free pass.

Just now, sage said:

3 amigos 

You can't cherry pick the choices to fit an agenda 

I’ve not. I’ve put a timeframe on it. There’s no debate if theyre included, but then do i put Maxwell in? Longson’s board? 

you dont have to get involved if you don’t want to. No need to ruin every thread with nonsense of an agenda. You probably couldn’t even guess which way I’d vote! 

1 minute ago, SouthStandDan said:

Everyone seemed to rave about Gadsby and co. They did rescue the club but it was all loans, they never had any actual money. They made a quick buck, didn't invest much money in the premier league and sold to the Americans. But because they were local, they get a free pass.

Think our Mel was in that one.  To be honest without them the future was down the crapper so they did a decent job for me, taking those shisters who were stealing from the club out the equation .  I'd take them back at the minute.

15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I’ve not. I’ve put a timeframe on it. There’s no debate if theyre included, but then do i put Maxwell in? Longson’s board? 

you dont have to get involved if you don’t want to. No need to ruin every thread with nonsense of an agenda. You probably couldn’t even guess which way I’d vote! 

I get you. Its vote for the worst recent owner other than the worst recent owner.

Odd poll. Its a bit like voting for the worst of our best managers. All 4 were good even if the end results werent as desired & I wouldn't view any of them negatively especially when compared with some of the shysters we've had in charge.

Pearson's reign on paper looked the worst but he inherited a club in absolute disarray with a manager openly looking to be sacked. Jewell looked like a good appointment at the time, he was backed with cash & secured the GSE takeover. He also made an astute appointment in Clough & left the club stable.

For the comments regards cherry picking the choices to fit an agenda I refer you to the next manager thread when the poll voting for our next manager was rerun immediately after our largest away victory in about 4 years.

Not that it would have had any bearing on the outcome of the poll of course  ?

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

For the comments regards cherry picking the choices to fit an agenda I refer you to the next manager thread when the poll voting for our next manager was rerun immediately after our largest away victory in about 4 years.

Not that it would have had any bearing on the outcome of the poll of course  ?

2 cherries don't make a pear.

My choice of worst owners weren't available.

I wanted to vote for whoever sold Steve Bloomer to Middlesbrough in 1906, wtf were they thinking? The greatest player in the world at the time.

Voted Mel as best owner purely on the basis that he wanted the best for his home town club. Same as Sam Longson and Lionel Pickering.

Like @Mostyn6 said, at the time, Mel's choice of manager seemed ok, just never quite worked out but its very fine lines. The play offs are always a lottery and our number just didn't come out.

Very tough question that actually. They all had positives and negatives about them. I guess we’re talking about “owners” rather than “chairmen” however, which simplifies things quite a bit. You can only really judge an owner on the ambition they showed, and the money they invested. On that account, certainly until this season, Mel comes out on top. You can’t fault his effort, despite poor decisions all round. At the other end of the scale, GSE showed very little ambition to ever take the club anywhere. They were stable, but very mediocre.

13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Very tough question that actually. They all had positives and negatives about them. I guess we’re talking about “owners” rather than “chairmen” however, which simplifies things quite a bit. You can only really judge an owner on the ambition they showed, and the money they invested. On that account, certainly until this season, Mel comes out on top. You can’t fault his effort, despite poor decisions all round. At the other end of the scale, GSE showed very little ambition to ever take the club anywhere. They were stable, but very mediocre.

Until the season they led us to the play off final Vs QPR, you mean.

2 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

It is true regarding the loans, but that's generally how sports financing works. I don't recall anyone else queuing up to take on the club's debts when the Co-op were all but sending the bailiffs in. The only other group that showed interest was SISU and we can thank our lucky stars they didn't get involved here. They didn't spend any money when we got to the prem. It was absolutely the correct decision to prioritize paying off the loans and securing the long term future of the club rather than gambling big on avoiding relegation.

Archived