Jump to content

Isaac Hutchinson - Joined Forest Green Rovers on loan


Recommended Posts

This is one I don't get as we've plucked Hutchinson from League Two where he had been playing "men's football", so I'd have thought we'd now want him to hone other elements of his game in the academy. Whereas those who've spent all their time in an academy environment would benefit from testing themselves in the lower leagues. But what do I know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not for me.  Lads 20 years old and already had a season as a regular in League 1 and came here to improve a level.  How's 20 games in League 2  going to improve him.

Loan for loans sake

Southend are a complete and utter mess of a club. He was performing well in a lot of areas at Southend, was a good deal to pick up for us, potential is there. He'd benefit more from a loan to a team performing well in League 2 than a rubbish League 1 team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is one I don't get as we've plucked Hutchinson from League Two where he had been playing "men's football", so I'd have thought we'd now want him to hone other elements of his game in the academy. Whereas those who've spent all their time in an academy environment would benefit from testing themselves in the lower leagues. But what do I know?

Looks like an small investment to sell for a small profit to me 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good move for the lad. Was impressed by him on Saturday, he looked probably the only player ready for Men’s football. He’s got undoubted potential, some regular first team football will do him the world of good in terms of working on his all round game. Good luck to him, can hopefully get him playing League One football next season if it goes well (though hopefully not with us!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is one I don't get as we've plucked Hutchinson from League Two where he had been playing "men's football", so I'd have thought we'd now want him to hone other elements of his game in the academy. Whereas those who've spent all their time in an academy environment would benefit from testing themselves in the lower leagues. But what do I know?

I was thinking about this one as well. Maybe he was just a low risk investment with potential to be unearthed gem? Or, maybe he wanted desperately to go out to play real football again? Or maybe he hasn't progressed as our coaches wanted?

We'll never know, but it seems strange.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is one I don't get as we've plucked Hutchinson from League Two where he had been playing "men's football", so I'd have thought we'd now want him to hone other elements of his game in the academy. Whereas those who've spent all their time in an academy environment would benefit from testing themselves in the lower leagues. But what do I know?

13 games for the U23s or up to 24 games for Forest Green. At 20 years of age I think the latter is better for his development.

It also opens up a playing spot to give Thompson more playing time, who had been limited to just 64 minutes of football this season before the FA Cup game. I'm sure the coaches want to give Aghatise more opportunities at that level too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is one I don't get as we've plucked Hutchinson from League Two where he had been playing "men's football", so I'd have thought we'd now want him to hone other elements of his game in the academy. Whereas those who've spent all their time in an academy environment would benefit from testing themselves in the lower leagues. But what do I know?

Hutchinson had already come through the Cat 1 academy at Brighton and Hove Albion. He was there for 10 years so it wasn’t like he was a complete rough diamond from lower league clubs and needed the academy environment to polish him up.

He ended up at Southend and quickly racked up 40 first team games the majority in league 1. 

I’d imagine he was probably disappointed to come into the club on the back of that and evidently (by his inclusion Saturday) not even training with the main first team group. Playing a 23s game every other week and often training with the rest of the 23s and the 18s wouldn’t be enough for someone who’d spent 2 years in a first team environment so a loan back to se out football while he tries to bridge the gap into our first team makes sense. 

My surprise would maybe be why he went to a league 2 club when he came from a league 1 club, but FGR are flying and looking to get promoted and play very good football so it may have been a case of a good fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmm.....I’m not sure he took too long on the ball. If anything I’d have liked him to impose himself on the game a little more by staying on the ball longer and slowing the game down. Particularly first half when it was frenetic. But it was very difficult. The ball was barely on the floor. At one point I counted 20 headers in less than a minute! Neither side really tried to keep the ball and nobody really wanted the ball or were prepared to take a touch and relax on it. 
 

I think it showed above all else that sooner or later all academy players need to step out of the perfect pitches and perfect environment and start slumming it....it’s like leaving college and getting a real job!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2021 at 13:38, LeedsRam1999 said:

Looked like one of our better performers against Chorley. Playing “men’s” football will do him good. Looks to me of the Will Hughes mold of central midfielders. Hope he has a good spell and come backs ready to play in the Champ.

I could also see a bit of Jack Grealish in him - may just have been the floppy hair, but he carried the ball well when he drove with it and cut in on his right foot. Also passed it a bit like Matt Grimes at Swansea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Hutchinson had already come through the Cat 1 academy at Brighton and Hove Albion. He was there for 10 years so it wasn’t like he was a complete rough diamond from lower league clubs and needed the academy environment to polish him up.

He ended up at Southend and quickly racked up 40 first team games the majority in league 1. 

I’d imagine he was probably disappointed to come into the club on the back of that and evidently (by his inclusion Saturday) not even training with the main first team group. Playing a 23s game every other week and often training with the rest of the 23s and the 18s wouldn’t be enough for someone who’d spent 2 years in a first team environment so a loan back to se out football while he tries to bridge the gap into our first team makes sense. 

My surprise would maybe be why he went to a league 2 club when he came from a league 1 club, but FGR are flying and looking to get promoted and play very good football so it may have been a case of a good fit.

He was a squad player in League 1. We want him to be a regular starter so League 2 may be the level for him to achieve that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He was a squad player in League 1. We want him to be a regular starter so League 2 may be the level for him to achieve that?

He made 40 appearances in just over a year (from debut to lockdown), all as a teenager. He featured pretty regular without maybe being the first name on the team sheet. However Southend had 5 managers in those 14-18 months so to be a regular starter at 18/19 for 5 different managers would’ve been some ask!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

He made 40 appearances in just over a year (from debut to lockdown), all as a teenager. He featured pretty regular without maybe being the first name on the team sheet. However Southend had 5 managers in those 14-18 months so to be a regular starter at 18/19 for 5 different managers would’ve been some ask!

8 league apps in 18/19, 22 in 19/20, 2 in 20/21 and 8 games in the cups (in a struggling Southend side).

Sounds like squad player to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.