New stadium name

Bob Mash

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pride park is a crappy corporate sell out name...named after an industrial estate with Toys r Us and Fireplace workshop being practically the only things on it.... im pretty sure when you all get your wish and we totally sell the soul of the club to some dodgy middle eastern outfit that they will be changing the name to further boost their egos.

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Pride park is a crappy corporate sell out name...named after an industrial estate with Toys r Us and Fireplace workshop being practically the only things on it.... im pretty sure when you all get your wish and we totally sell the soul of the club to some dodgy middle eastern outfit that they will be changing the name to further boost their egos.

I hope so, as long as there is some money to go with it....

11 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

You mean rather than using the stadium re-branding as a legitimate way of injecting funds within FFP rules? 

As long as it isn't something really silly or embarrassing I don't really care if it benefits the club. Ipro was a bit naff but, whatever.

At the end of the day, now that the iconic BBG has gone, it's just a name. 

You could call it the Muespach Ram Arena for all I care if you're prepared to inject enough to help the club.

Out of interest, instead of Pride Park what sort of name would have been acceptable to you?

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You mean rather than using the stadium re-branding as a legitimate way of injecting funds within FFP rules? 

As long as it isn't something really silly or embarrassing I don't really care if it benefits the club. Ipro was a bit naff but, whatever.

At the end of the day, now that the iconic BBG has gone, it's just a name. 

You could call it the Muespach Ram Arena for all I care if you're prepared to inject enough to help the club.

Out of interest, instead of Pride Park what sort of name would have been acceptable to you?

I would have just gone for a totally new name, nothing to do with sponsorship at all. 

Like you, but exactly the opposite view, I could care less what they call it as long as it has zero links to any sponsorship deal, but I'm pretty sure this wont happen.

51 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

As I recall, back in the 90s there was a government project called “City Pride” which provided financial support for redeveloping urban areas. Derby wanted to sort out the derelict old railway site alongside the Derwent and bordered by Chaddesden sidings. Money was provided and it was decided to call the new area Pride Park. The stadium was called Pride Park after the City Pride project

2 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Or even the boracic lint arena

I’m quite aware of the acid thank you. For ducks sake, you try to bring a bit of levity to what’s getting a miserable forum and there’s always one smart arse that has show his intellect. duckin’ bore off.

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Ok - so just to be factually correct, Toys R Us was located on the Wyvern Retail Park - which was built well before 'Pride Park' even became a thing.  The Fireplace Workshop isn't on either Pride Park or the Retail Park, but rather just a sad little plot all on its own. Neither of these were on Pride Park, neither of them are on Pride Park.

As others have already noted, 'Pride Park' was a large regeneration project which came about from the Government's City Challenge funding.  This funded the clearing up of a very contaminated site and allowed the industrial estate to be developed.  The official name of the stadium when it was announced was 'The Pride Park Stadium' - i.e. the stadium which is located on Pride Park.  There was no corporate tie-in or anything like that; purely a name based on geography - just like so many other football grounds around the country.  I think a lot of people did - and still do - think it came about through some sort of image branding company or something daft (like 'The Stadium of Light' for Sunderland type of thing) where the club were trying to make some kind of statement about 'having pride in the club' or some other fanciful rubbish (who'd want to have pride in the club, for God's sake!?). But no, just geography.  

I've got used to it now. Keep it.

2 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Ok - so just to be factually correct, Toys R Us was located on the Wyvern Retail Park - which was built well before 'Pride Park' even became a thing.  The Fireplace Workshop isn't on either Pride Park or the Retail Park, but rather just a sad little plot all on its own. Neither of these were on Pride Park, neither of them are on Pride Park.

As others have already noted, 'Pride Park' was a large regeneration project which came about from the Government's City Challenge funding.  This funded the clearing up of a very contaminated site and allowed the industrial estate to be developed.  The official name of the stadium when it was announced was 'The Pride Park Stadium' - i.e. the stadium which is located on Pride Park.  There was no corporate tie-in or anything like that; purely a name based on geography - just like so many other football grounds around the country.  I think a lot of people did - and still do - think it came about through some sort of image branding company or something daft (like 'The Stadium of Light' for Sunderland type of thing) where the club were trying to make some kind of statement about 'having pride in the club' or some other fanciful rubbish (who'd want to have pride in the club, for God's sake!?). But no, just geography.  

I've got used to it now. Keep it.

And absolutely no kick back at all from the city for naming It that....definitely nothing at all...

On 08/01/2021 at 23:48, Bearwood Ram said:

Haha! No campaign as such just that I started following the Rams in the 70s and for me that's always been our colours. Also, I think Pride Park is an awful name. Personal opinions. Didn't mean to annoy anyone with either thread. Apologies. Just trying to get involved in the forum a bit more. 

If you want to get involved in the forum more, either slag off 17 year old players or post 8 times an hour claiming lockdowns aren't necessary.   

Archived