Realistically ,New transfers in January????

ram1964

With the club in the midst of being taken over??? Wages being paid late, no one on the outside knowing who presently owns club? Is it Mel ? Is it new owners? Has deal collapsed  ?

How can we realistically attract any players to the club. Certainly anyone of significance? Unless we sell some one for a good few ,just don't see us doing anything,and even then would suspect any money received would be banked by the club rather than reinvested in players.

Mel certainly not wishing too spend, if we have / get new owners leaving it late in the day. If indeed they have any money.

Just don't see us doing much in January.

Certainly I can't see how we'd be signing anyone until such time as any increasingly doubtful looking takeover is either concluded or ruled out. Even if that happens (which I am increasingly dubious about) we don't even know if there is any kind of budget available because FFP has been hugely muddied by the current financial calamity due to Covid. Do we need a striker ? yes, without a doubt IMHO but they usually cost money so I'd expect a loan at best. CKR is surely no going to be able to play and be effective in every game.

Will we sell ? I think this is inevitable if anyone wants any of our players although potential new owners might want a say in what playing assets are sold off. The reality is that we have bugger all income and if Prem League sides want any of our players (or any other Championship players) then we are hardly in a position to turn down any remotely substantial offer. The laughable bailout fund from the PL is a waste of time, just an option to saddle yourself with debt to the EFL who will then presumably beat you over the head with it.

Sure, some of our downfall is of our own making but these are unique times and have created a perfect storm and the usual discussions about signings seem a bit academic. Surely more games will be cancelled and I'd expect a pause in the season at least unless this Covid situation gets under some kind of control very quickly indeed.

Things change quickly in football 

then again they do in a pandemic 

let’s remember our income is basically zero at this point - season ticket money and solidarity payments will have been chewed up by wages and refunds not to mention we owe other clubs money for past transfers 

Phil Jones will be my barometer for this window.

I have a feeling that Rooney wants Jones and he may have spoken to him.  You could see Jones wanting to come and just play football.

As each day ticks by, if Jones signs for someone else, to me that would be a sign all is not well.

I appreciate why that may seem far fetched, but it has been reported in more than one news outlet, he had been favourite to sign for us with bookies for a while also.

The other clue to this window is the fact Rooney publicly says he wants his deals done quickly, just like Cocu did last year. As each day ticks by without any valid links, suggests all is not well.

As it stands, I can possibly see a couple of loans coming in but not a lot else.

We badly still need to find a way to consistently score goals. If we don't score in the 1st 20mins of games at the minute it starts to feel like we never will! Whether that's in the form of something different in midfield? A winger that can cross/shoot? A striker that can make things happen? I'm sure the management team have more of an idea than me, but additions need to be made.

46 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

Why not? They sacked cocu.. told rooney hes in charge of transfers and put him in temporary charge

Managerial changes are an internal affair.

Nobody is going to consider transfer offers from us while the ownership / finances of the club remains uncertain, why would they accept bids for their players when they know there's a chance that next week they could squeeze more out of us?

The best we can hope for until it's sorted is bringing in free agents, but they're not really much use to us at the minute.

If the situation carries onto deadline day some club may get desperate and accept whatever we've put on the table, but let's be honest that's unlikely.

Edited by Coconut

25 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Phil Jones will be my barometer for this window.

I have a feeling that Rooney wants Jones and he may have spoken to him.  You could see Jones wanting to come and just play football.

As each day ticks by, if Jones signs for someone else, to me that would be a sign all is not well.

I appreciate why that may seem far fetched, but it has been reported in more than one news outlet, he had been favourite to sign for us with bookies for a while also.

The other clue to this window is the fact Rooney publicly says he wants his deals done quickly, just like Cocu did last year. As each day ticks by without any valid links, suggests all is not well.

Don’t think Jones is fit. Not played since Feb I’m sure I’ve read. Could be wrong 

Theoretically we should still have money left over from the sheff united double deal. 8 million was reported. With around 5 upfront I think it was. We spent about 3 million on KJ7 but about 1.5 upfront I recall. Then low fees for bryne and Clarke. We really should have about 2-3 million to spend. Unless Mel has pocketed that money...