Your best Christmas presents as a kid

jono

Don’t know where this came from but maybe it’s the time of the year. Some of my favourites were 

Action Man Space Capsule ... awesome .. bit disappointed it leaked in the bath but hey you can’t have everything

I remember a big mixed Lego box, way before it got techi .. you got red bricks, white bricks of various sizes and some grey base plates .. oh yes, wheel bricks and some clear parts but that was about it. Hours and hours of play value. 

Then loads of fun aged about 6 with a Johnny 7 one man army. Never enough caps for the detachable pistol 

First generation hot wheels was pretty good too ..until I oiled them and the plastic wheels disintegrated 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best Christmas present I ever got was a pack of ultimate military jets and warships top trumps. 

they were only a stocking filler but the amount of time me and my dad spent together was worth more than any expensive present.

Oh to be a kid again playing top trumps on the train home from seeing the rams lose to whoever ?.

Loved the black and white mustang bike I got when I was about twelve.

Had a game called Firefox which was a bit like mini space invaders in the early 80's. Got loads of fun from that.

Star Wars figures were always good as were LP's to fuel my vinyl obsession I've had since birth.

An original copy of The lost boys -the best film ever-on video back in the days you had to wait about two years from cinema to home release.  Remember when BBC 1 always had a proper movie premiere on Christmas day afternoon that you could record on a VHS.  Almost an extra present. 

50 minutes ago, jono said:

Don’t know where this came from but maybe it’s the time of the year. Some of my favourites were 

Action Man Space Capsule ... awesome .. bit disappointed it leaked in the bath but hey you can’t have everything

I remember a big mixed Lego box, way before it got techi .. you got red bricks, white bricks of various sizes and some grey base plates .. oh yes, wheel bricks and some clear parts but that was about it. Hours and hours of play value. 

Then loads of fun aged about 6 with a Johnny 7 one man army. Never enough caps for the detachable pistol 

First generation hot wheels was pretty good too ..until I oiled them and the plastic wheels disintegrated 

Had a deep sea dive action man with one of the old fashioned helmets . That was a good one.

Leather casey,chipper bike.(wanted a chopper but parents couldn't afford one).buy my own presents these days and don't scimp?.This year treated myself to a carcoon and a top notch trickle charger,last year had a pair of shoes made.

Like to treat the Mrs as she never asks for much during the year and spends very little on herself. She always says  she wants for nothing and considers herself fortunate.

Although not bought her anything for xmas this year, ( a first) but have the opportunity to purchase some rather nice jewellery from a family bereavement once probate sorted .

Xmas should be a time of giving and I don't wish people,family ,friends to buy me anything these days,after all its the thought that counts. A quality pair of socks , a half decent red is always appreciated.

Looking back at childhood Christmases, I have more vivid memories of family ,friends than of most presents.,And isnt that what Xmas should be about.

For some reason I’ve always found it difficult to accept presents.

I like giving presents. I’ll spend ages trying to make sure I’ve bought the right presents. 
but I find it awkward to receive them. 

the best present was just the excitement of xmas. 

As the only boy, with 3 elder sisters (subsequently followed by a 4th, younger sister!), in an almost-poor family, I tended to get second hand dolls, frocks, cream coloured sandals, and coats with left-handed zips!

I can't begin to explain the relief, when I first felt that chopper between my legs, aged 13!  

About age 4 a wooden farm, with a field, farmhouse, barn, painted on pond and lots of trees and little farm animals. 

At six, a Betta Bilda set, with proper little bricks, green roof slates, red doors in frames and windows with their own plastic glazing panels. Played with that stuff for years.

When I was about ten, a Lilliput typewriter. Petite typewriters were all the rage and I daren't ask for one as I knew we had no money, as dad had just had his first heart attack and was out of work. Somehow my parents found out and got me a second hand Lilliput instead. It wasn't as pretty as a Petite but worked much better (the ribbons on the Petite kept getting unravelled.) Mine worked just like a real typewriter, and I used it right through secondary school. No computers in those days, of course! It had a little dint on the cover (which is how I knew it was second-hand, though I never let on to mum and dad.) I loved that dint! 

Multipuzzle game, when I was eight or nine. Simply brilliant, and I still play with it sometimes.

s-l400-2.jpg

s-l400-1.jpg

pic1269884.jpg

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

For some reason I’ve always found it difficult to accept presents.

I like giving presents. I’ll spend ages trying to make sure I’ve bought the right presents. 
but I find it awkward to receive them. 

the best present was just the excitement of xmas. 

It sounds like you are a Finn. ?

My favourite was a Stiga hockey table.

9 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Leather casey,chipper bike.(wanted a chopper but parents couldn't afford one).buy my own presents these days and don't scimp?.This year treated myself to a carcoon and a top notch trickle charger,last year had a pair of shoes made.

Like to treat the Mrs as she never asks for much during the year and spends very little on herself. She always says  she wants for nothing and considers herself fortunate.

Although not bought her anything for xmas this year, ( a first) but have the opportunity to purchase some rather nice jewellery from a family bereavement once probate sorted .

Xmas should be a time of giving and I don't wish people,family ,friends to buy me anything these days,after all its the thought that counts. A quality pair of socks , a half decent red is always appreciated.

Looking back at childhood Christmases, I have more vivid memories of family ,friends than of most presents.,And isnt that what Xmas should be about.

Funny you should say that, I had a godfather and his wife, friends of Mum and Dad. It was their visit on Christmas Day that was the highlight. Such lovely people, kind, funny, enthusiastic. Always played with you and your toys on hands and knees. I have always tried to emulate them. 

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Had a deep sea dive action man with one of the old fashioned helmets . That was a good one.

I remember coveting the action man scuba diver. My Teddy with 2 empty sparklets cylinders sellotaped to his back was a substitute 

10 hours ago, ramit said:

A bright red gleaming wheelbarrow with a black handlebars and an inflatable tire

Okay, i was 5, but nothing since has beaten that.  Many a dam we constructed together in our muddy street.

Dam making! Oh yes, many a summer school holiday damming up a local brook or stream.  We are blessed with clay around these parts.

These youngsters don’t know what fun is nowadays.

Still think it was my first puppy. 

I was about nine and was told to hide under the bed covers. 

When I emerged, a tiny cocker spaniel called Brandy was heading towards me, little stumpy tail wagging. 

We had spaniels from there on but that moment is still special some 47 years later! 

Archived