Derby close training ground (COVID outbreak)

Heisenberg

1 hour ago, ram1964 said:

Not specifically accusing any Derby players. However the number of professional players who have flaunted lockdown during the past few months really infuriates me. These culprits are a disgrace and should be heavily penalised financially whilst being made to do community service. Suspending them from playing penalises the club ,fans unfairly. However a 3 month wage fine and a 150 day community service would perhaps have an impact on such irresponsible, immature, selfish thoughtless individuals. And set a precedant .

We don't know how Covid got into the squad and it might be perfectly innocent but the punishment you're suggesting would also get the clubs into more trouble given that the standard pro footballer contract allows for a maximum two weeks fine and if they tried to enforce anything more than that they would be in breach of contract. Blame the PFA for negotiating that, or not depending on your point of view.

Footballers often appear to have fairly limited intelligence or have a modicum of common sense but, to be fair there are lots and lots of non-footballing people sticking a metaphorical two fingers up at Covid and the restrictions - from hikers in Wales, to snow watchers at the Cat and Fiddle and rave attendees at almost anywhere you care to name - all without having fines or being sacked.  And now those restrictions have got tougher again it may get worse.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we'll have to field a midfield 3 of Ramage, Savage and me then  desperate times call for desperate measures. Could see if Lee Croft fancies a a game as well. 

Get Ramage out of retirement and make sure he doesn't say anything stupid, promise Sav a new fake tan and then call up anyone who can kick a ball. Probably will still beat Chorley tbf. Darren Moore and Jake Buxton CB and we will be solid at the back and probably still will have too much pace for them. 

4 hours ago, td_evans said:

The possibility of the Championship being decided on PPG is now very real. Need to pick up points fast.

Good luck to Chorley in the 4th round of the cup, too?

Is it though? We lost like 3 months last season with less games to play and we didn’t have to do that. Stop scaremongering.

6 hours ago, Rampage said:

How many league games have to be played for the league positions to be accepted as end of season if season is curtailed 

I doubt any on this forum will know that. In fact, I suspect the incompetent EFL haven’t thought about yet. If I’m being generous - maybe they have but have chosen not to publicise their plan. In my view, they should have such a plan and should have shared it with the clubs so that they are not seen to be making it up as they go along (as if they would) or to be appearing to unfairly treat clubs that are in the bottom three at the time they make such a decision. Having a late vote seems a little pointless as you know some clubs, understandably, will vote for what is the best for them rather than what they believe is the best thing for football and the players as a whole. An early vote (perhaps before the season even started) should have eliminated any such self interest.

For me, I’d say something like a minimum of 2/3 or 3/4 of the season needs to have been played. Any less than that and most clubs could probably argue that they were denied a reasonable opportunity to get out of the relegation zone/challenge for the top two/break into the play offs.

8 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Not specifically accusing any Derby players. However the number of professional players who have flaunted lockdown during the past few months really infuriates me. These culprits are a disgrace and should be heavily penalised financially whilst being made to do community service. Suspending them from playing penalises the club ,fans unfairly. However a 3 month wage fine and a 150 day community service would perhaps have an impact on such irresponsible, immature, selfish thoughtless individuals. And set a precedant .

Was very tempted to agree with you, but I suspect that's all down to the media, and wouldn't be at all surprised if the numbers... as a percentage... show that footballers are no worse than the "general public"!

For instance, I know of two incidents of breaking the rules for permitted numbers for Xmas dinner (1 x wider family, and 1 x colleague).  The number of folk I've seen going into Morissons with their mask under their chin... or going in via the obvious one-way exit... is becoming less and less astonishing as each week passes!

Whilst out on a local walk last Saturday, one group appeared to be made up of at least 3 families/households.  (Of course I'm guessing). There must have been at least 15 in the group, (not including 3 each of toddlers in push chairs, and dogs on extendable leads!) completely taking over the pathway, giving no consideration to single-file/allowing room for others to pass!  I think the only rule they weren't breaking is that at least they were in a public park!

Yes, we (The two of us) go out for local walks direct from home, or hiking further afield (far, far away from the maddening crowds!) after a "short" car journey to the starting point.  Up until last night's new rules, we have been working on the "As long as you are walking/hiking for longer than you are driving there and back" mantra, to determine how local we stay, but even that would be seen as a pi55-take by some, I suspect?

One good thing that has come from all this... there are a surprising number of excellent, (Seemingly little known/little used) rural walks/hikes, most definitely off the beaten tracks, within a 30 min drive from central Derby.  Why folk are content to head for the tourist hotspots of the Peak District etc, during all this, still astounds me!  More fool them, I say!

Oh... just realised... I'm rambling!  Literally!  Sorry!  

9 hours ago, ram1964 said:

If the authorities started to do that with footballers then the jails would be full if they then applied it to the rest of the general populous. 

9 hours ago, ram1964 said:

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If the authorities started to do that with footballers then the jails would be full if they then applied it to the rest of the general populous. 

But nowhere in @ram1964's post does anyone go to jail!  Literally... not one!   

Sith Happens
35 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Was very tempted to agree with you, but I suspect that's all down to the media, and wouldn't be at all surprised if the numbers... as a percentage... show that footballers are no worse than the "general public"!

For instance, I know of two incidents of breaking the rules for permitted numbers for Xmas dinner (1 x wider family, and 1 x colleague).  The number of folk I've seen going into Morissons with their mask under their chin... or going in via the obvious one-way exit... is becoming less and less astonishing as each week passes!

Whilst out on a local walk last Saturday, one group appeared to be made up of at least 3 families/households.  (Of course I'm guessing). There must have been at least 15 in the group, (not including 3 each of toddlers in push chairs, and dogs on extendable leads!) completely taking over the pathway, giving no consideration to single-file/allowing room for others to pass!  I think the only rule they weren't breaking is that at least they were in a public park!

Yes, we (The two of us) go out for local walks direct from home, or hiking further afield (far, far away from the maddening crowds!) after a "short" car journey to the starting point.  Up until last night's new rules, we have been working on the "As long as you are walking/hiking for longer than you are driving there and back" mantra, to determine how local we stay, but even that would be seen as a pi55-take by some, I suspect?

One good thing that has come from all this... there are a surprising number of excellent, (Seemingly little known/little used) rural walks/hikes, most definitely off the beaten tracks, within a 30 min drive from central Derby.  Why folk are content to head for the tourist hotspots of the Peak District etc, during all this, still astounds me!  More fool them, I say!

I agree, i know of people who break and broke the rules through both previous lockdowns, the tier rules and over Christmas.

One of those who continues to break the rules was messaging me last night furious about the new lockdown, and im thinking while i dont 'think' any covid has been spread by his rule breaking 'collectively' with everyone else who breaks the rules he is partially responsible for the new lockdown and spread.

But the issue with Footballers etc is they are often dumb enough to get caught doing it, lets face it who is going to be pointing a camera at Geoff from Chadd cause hes gone to his mums on boxing day? Or looking at Geoffs instagram at pictures of his NYE party?

They arent, people in the public eye have to accept they are with the careers they have so any rule breaking they do is going to get highlighted so to do so is particularly dumb.

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

Come on then, where is Barry the Ram or Richard6874575864 with the in the know knowledge on who has it?

To be fair if they turned the tests around in a few hours today that’s actually quite impressive. I imagine this week there will be further tests done remotely and those who A) are negative and B] didn’t get identified through track and trace may well be free on Saturday.

Just had a text from Rich2468whodoweappreciate, he said he couldn't reveal the names of the players who have caught it but when we hear them we will all be very excited.

1 hour ago, Woodley Ram said:

absolute joke of a so called supporter

He is a Forest fan. Bit of detective work this morning found him to be part of the Samba Sow appreciation club on Twitter.

Fair play to him though, joined under the negative cloud so his posts never overly stood out. Just over 2 months he survived.

I will get better. Apologies.

2 minutes ago, David said:

He is a Forest fan. Bit of detective work this morning found him to be part of the Samba Sow appreciation club on Twitter.

Fair play to him though, joined under the negative cloud so his posts never overly stood out. Just over 2 months he survived.

I will get better. Apologies.

I had him down as one of the more positive posters in that thread.

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

I agree, i know of people who break and broke the rules through both previous lockdowns, the tier rules and over Christmas.

One of those who continues to break the rules was messaging me last night furious about the new lockdown, and im thinking while i dont 'think' any covid has been spread by his rule breaking 'collectively' with everyone else who breaks the rules he is partially responsible for the new lockdown and spread.

But the issue with Footballers etc is they are often dumb enough to get caught doing it, lets face it who is going to be pointing a camera at Geoff from Chadd cause hes gone to his mums on boxing day? Or looking at Geoffs instagram at pictures of his NYE party?

They arent, people in the public eye have to accept they are with the careers they have so any rule breaking they do is going to get highlighted so to do so is particularly dumb.

I like to think I’m a bit of a rebel, but during all this I have often used the phrase, ‘without rules, there would be anarchy.’

there may be situations where the rules seem pointless. Why am I wearing my mask when the nearest person is 5m away? Why am I santizing my hands again when I just did it 5 seconds ago and haven’t touched anything since?

But if you don’t do it, someone else will see you, and think it’s okay for them not to do it, and then you’ve got anarchy, where people don’t follow the rules in situations where they really should be. And that’s just joe public with an Instagram following if 1. 

It’s about getting into the habit. Remember when seat belts were first made mandatory  it seemed weird to put them on, now, even if I’m just quickly moving the car, it feels really weird not to out a seat belt on, I feel naked. Same as the smoking ban. It felt weird to have a pint and not have a gag in my hand at first, now if I’m abroad and I’m allowed to do that, it feels really strange.

eventually wearing masks will feel so natural, we’ll do it even when we don’t have to anymore.

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

You got a nice list of walks? My missus insists we do healthy walks but getting bored of the same stuff. 

Don't know a massive amount about the area as not a local so would be good to wander elsewhere.

Archived