Tom Ince

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Seeing as the transfer thread has been closed, I thought I'd start one in here, as I still don't understand why Ince is so underappreciated by Derby fans. He carried us at times.

he never smiled, enough in some books to write him off. 

I started going to BBG in the late 60's and I can remember quite a few over vocal twits that didn't rate mcGovern or Hinton.  Ince had no

chance

Very talented player but the team didn't always perform as well with him in the side.

With his ability he should be a regular Prem starter but he struggles to get on the pitch at Stoke.

Same thing has happened at his other clubs, its one of those things about team sports that can happen.

Not for me. No doubting he was a success with us in the past. But his time at Huddersfield and Stoke has been so underwhelming.

If we can’t get anybody else in before deadline day then maybe a cheeky loan until the end of the season. But we really should be looking at someone fresh who can drag us up by the laces.

At his best here, he was excellent. Wingers, particularly at this level, will miss games at a time. What I mean by that is that wingers will typically be anonymous for weeks-worth of games. It's a very small percentage that are actually able to impact games more often than not. Ince was definitely someone who impacted games, seriously hard working and would always offer his teammates options. He never hid.

He's clearly not doing that at the moment, for whatever reason, but for the same reason I think we wanted Ibe back many would take Ince back. It probably wouldn't work out, who knows, but he was excellent for us.  

23 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Best winger to play for Derby in my lifetime. Unbelievable goalscorer.

1 - you must be young! 
2 - he was no winger 

3 - I would have him over Lawrence in terms of past achievements 

4 - I am not sure what he could offer nowadays apart from a big wage 

Ince was excellent. It was great fun to watch him play for us. He was one of those players who'd have you on the edge of your seat whenever he got the opportunity to run at defenders. He was perhaps unfairly maligned by some because he walked about with a face like a slapped arse (see Chris Martin for similar reactions) and because of his dad. One thing he certainly couldn't be accused of was being lazy. He always put in a shift, although he was certainly defensively naive, but then what winger isn't?

My biggest complaint from his time here was that he never managed to work out a decent partnership with his fullback, which was mostly Christie I think. Ince would always plant himself on the touchline just past the halfway line, request the ball to feet, and refuse to make a run, even when Christie had space to run into. Mind you, having watched Cyrus for several seasons I can understand why Ince didn't really trust him with the ball.

On 04/01/2021 at 16:03, Anon said:

Ince was excellent. It was great fun to watch him play for us. He was one of those players who'd have you on the edge of your seat whenever he got the opportunity to run at defenders. He was perhaps unfairly maligned by some because he walked about with a face like a slapped arse (see Chris Martin for similar reactions) and because of his dad. One thing he certainly couldn't be accused of was being lazy. He always put in a shift, although he was certainly defensively naive, but then what winger isn't?

My biggest complaint from his time here was that he never managed to work out a decent partnership with his fullback, which was mostly Christie I think. Ince would always plant himself on the touchline just past the halfway line, request the ball to feet, and refuse to make a run, even when Christie had space to run into. Mind you, having watched Cyrus for several seasons I can understand why Ince didn't really trust him with the ball.

He tended to be good with Baird behind him, I thought. Maybe a bit of confirmation bias almost because of the Forest goal but that showed what Ince could do with an intelligent full back behind, as opposed to Cyrus Christie, like you say. 

Would have him back in a heartbeat. Jozwiak and him would offer really good balance.

Archived