Where will we finish?

Jimbo Ram

5 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Cocu did a good job last season? Not really, did OK but 10th place is hardly successful however you dress it up, it's acceptable and reaches minimum expectations but is nothing laudable. It is all based on if you think he had a role in signings, if he did then the job is classed as OK last season, if he didn't and was stuck with Dowell and other rubbish without input then I'd up that to slightly above average considering transfer dealings were so poor as they have been this season. 

We don't know Cocu's role in summer 2018 transfers but it would've been restricted given how late he joined that summer after Lampard's protracted departure. We were also under a soft transfer embargo in the January window & the squad was also much weaker after Mount, Wilson & Tomori left (and then Keogh).

There's also all the off-field stuff that you've not factored in (Joiners, FFP charge, Wisdom stabbing). Yet Cocu had us one win off the top 6 with 6 matches to go. He also introduced a lot of youth in the team & lowered the wage bill.

Don't dispute he had to leave after the start to this season but think he deserves a lot more credit for last season than you're giving him.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

We don't know Cocu's role in summer 2018 transfers but it would've been restricted given how late he joined that summer after Lampard's protracted departure. We were also under a soft transfer embargo in the January window & the squad was also much weaker after Mount, Wilson & Tomori left (and then Keogh).

There's also all the off-field stuff that you've not factored in (Joiners, FFP charge, Wisdom stabbing). Yet Cocu had us one win off the top 6 with 6 matches to go. He also introduced a lot of youth in the team & lowered the wage bill.

Don't dispute he had to leave after the start to this season but think he deserves a lot more credit for last season than you're giving him.

I'm biased because I decided from about 4 games in I didnt like Cocu football if this is what it's like. I believe he was the wrong appointment for the wrong club at the wrong time, decent manager but not with our squad of players that imo needed radically changing post Lampard and due to FFP and or whatever else goes on behind the scenes we haven't bought the players in we need and that's why we are where we are. Admittedly we should be doing better but we are still poo as squad  for the upward trajectory we were on a few years back and a team that typically aims for promotion, which gradually reduced to Playoffs and then subsequently staying in the division.  If you don't keep improving and start to accept just Playoffs or midtable this is what happens, imo promotion should be a realistic aim every season for our club but that won't happen under Morris and his cowboy /Del Boy like decision making. Only saving grace is the academy but unfortunately that's no good if the first team aren't producing the results which is obviously by far and away the most important part of a football club. 

We would be a lot more confident if the foul against Sibley in the Preston game and the obvious penalty against Wednesday had been given. 2 more points than we have now.

We are still playing back and square too much and need more dynamic forwards that know where the net is.  You can see the panic building in the second halves of games when we are level or within one goal.  Too many inexperienced players trying to force the issue. We need someone able to run beyond Kazim when the ball is hit up to him.  Knight may run for 90 minutes but needs to slow down and pass the ball carefully, Joswiak goes down too easily, Bielik looks like a savior in midfield.   We look better without Lawrence and Waghorn.  Give Ibe and Stretton more than just a few minutes at the end of games.  I don't see us getting a great striker in this window, but I think we can make 15th.

10 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

We don’t have an option we have to recruit a striker. Quality costs. Fulham picked up Mitrovic and flew. If BZG have any money this is the type of level of player we should go for. 
If it’s down to Mel then he’ll sell someone to get Dursan in, which is a risk and also involves a  protracted window waiting for things to happen.

That would be a bad thing.

I agree we need to sign a striker either permanently or on loan and, generally, they do cost money. However, there are plenty of examples of big money signings not working out as well as low cost/free signings proving a success. Wasn’t he that shouldn’t be mentioned - Chris Martin a free transfer?

We don’t have time on our side though so, I agree, it probably is going to need a good chunk of money.

9 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

As for where we will finish. 17th.

Frankly not good enough for Derby County Football Club. If we go down everyone associated with the performances out on the pitch from players to coaching staff to Mel should be ashamed. I'd like to think we are a midtable side so shouldn't go down and we were obviously hard done by against Sheffield Wednesday but with us being where we are, relegation isn't something you can rule out completely. 

It’s hard to disagree but Derby County Football Club have no Devine right to survive in the championship. There are plenty of other teams that have fallen through the trap door for whom you could probably say the same.

The lack of goal scoring isn’t down to bad luck or even one or two debatable refereeing decisions.

Its down to poor technique, a lack of quality in the final ball, being too slow in the build up, and players not understanding their goal scoring responsibilities.

• those endless passes between Clarke and wisdom which kill the attack before its started,
  • backwards and sidewards passing which is safe, easy but unproductive,
  • mis-hit corners and free kicks;  over-hit crosses, 
  • Players who slash at the ball and send it high over the bar, 
  • midfielders who can’t hit the target from 12 yards or who pass when they could shoot - all of these things are adding up.

these are the things that will send us down if we don’t address them. 
we have had seven one goal defeats in 22 matches and another 7 draws.  
by failing to score just one goal in each of those 14 games, it drops us 17 places from a possible 5th to 22nd. 

we have all been guilty of praising certain individuals but overlooking the fact than none of the front five are scoring enough goals. People keep saying “we need a goalscorer” but we need 5 goal scorers.
Where is the bryson who will score 16 goals from midfield? Where are the wingers who will score at least 10 each?

chipping in with the odd goal just isn’t enough.
We have the worst goal-scoring record in the division. 
We have only scored 9 in 13 since cocu left - and that includes 4 in one match.
For the remainder that is 5 goals in 12 matches! 

If we carry on scoring even at the rate of 9 in 13 then we can expect to finish on 36 points and we will be relegated with 4 games still to play. 

Wendies appear to have approached Cook about being next manager. That would not help us as I think that he would probably keep them up. Wycombe and Rotherham look more likely to go down but if they do then a so called 'bigger club' is going down with them.

22 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The lack of goal scoring isn’t down to bad luck or even one or two debatable refereeing decisions.

Its down to poor technique, a lack of quality in the final ball, being too slow in the build up, and players not understanding their goal scoring responsibilities.

• those endless passes between Clarke and wisdom which kill the attack before its started,
  • midfielders who can’t hit the target from 12 yards or who pass when they could shoot - all of these things are adding up.

by failing to score just one goal in each of those 14 games, it drops us 17 places from a possible 5th to 22nd. 

we have all been guilty of praising certain individuals but overlooking the fact than none of the front five are scoring enough goals. People keep saying “we need a goalscorer” but we need 5 goal scorers.
Where is the bryson who will score 16 goals from midfield? Where are the wingers who will score at least 10 each?

If we carry on scoring even at the rate of 9 in 13 then we can expect to finish on 36 points and we will be relegated with 4 games still to play. 

Pretty much identified the issues there, Ramnut. Some more easy to solve than others. If the takeover is delayed and uncertain then Wayne has to decide whether to hang on while other teams sign his loan targets or to sign them only to find that if he had hung on then he could have bought the permanent targets. This could decide where we will finish. Sam Alardyce has gone to WBA and is now seeing how big the job is in front of him. Looks like we are in a scramble with Forest, QPR and Brum plus maybe another team that fades badly after the New Year. We are developing into a high pressing, attacking, determined side that generally finds scoring difficult.

59 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I've said the same in other threads, our lack of finishing chances is putting tremendous pressure on our defence and it's simply not sustainable over the course of the season that they are expected to keep clean sheets week in week out to bail out our profligacy infront of goal. Wednesday the other night was a prime example. 

Take Shinnie for example not trying to pick on him as he has played well recently but his appalling miss against Forest was very costly for us ultimately we did not win the game then a couple of days ago similar miss against Wednesday down to total lack of composure. Nothing has progressed between the two incidents.

Tom Lawrence scored what 10 goals last season, this season scored zero? Whats being done to address that. Jozwiak needs to start contributing to goals now last season 8 goals this season what is it 1?

A lot of players seem to be hiding and passing the responsibility onto someone else which is totally unacceptable. We simply can't continue in this vein or we will be in Division 1 next season. 

18 hours ago, wollatonram said:

not only am i worried about the takeover and the lethargic nature the club (both owners) are approaching it , the problem i see is what strikers are actually out there? i would be interested in hearing some names as i cant think of any unless we are willing to break the bank

Our bank is already broken

I’m confident we’ll stay up, our luck is finally starting to turn and I think we can put together a run and finish 15th

I’m then going to be super optimistic and think next season, while we won’t get promoted, will be a lot more enjoyable and we’ll finish 10th with some of our young stars excelling 

Archived