v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We were simply miles off the standard of Chorley, can’t compete physically with such a young team, and their quality in possession was levels above ours as well.

I don't think we were at all. They weren't that good bar an obvious long/high ball plan. Disappointed we didn't have more pace out wide I think that would have found out their lack of defensive skills. We competed well, can't say Cresswell got much protection from the ref, what a surprise. No-one pulled out of tackles or stopped running, we tried to attack to the final whistle.

The youngsters did better than I thought they would. But the record books will show us having lost to a non-league team, with no asterisk against the score, and no footnote stating Derby had to field an understrength team due to the coronavirus.

1 minute ago, Xlor said:

Absolutely brilliant from a team that trains everyday in top class facilities against plasterers that train tues and thurs for 2 hours followed by a chip cob and a gallon in the clubhouse. Unlucky not to have had more than zero shots I thought as some of the skills on offer were tremendous. Standing on the ball, fresh air attempts, kicking the grass instead of the ball, shin rollers, controlling the ball midfield so it goes out for a throw in. Genius tactics. Cant believe pep hasn't thought of these before. Lull them in. 

The centre forward looks a good prospect. 9ft tall, 7 st, touch like a trampoline, legs dont know which way to go. 

The futures bright, that's for sure. Barca esq. 

Bless. Nip downstairs and give your Mam a cuddle and things will seem a bit brighter. 

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I can’t believe people are criticising this. The team we put out wasn’t even our first choice academy team. This was our 3rd/4th team!  Majority of those players will never play in the football league. They deserve huge credit, made a game of it and we didn’t disgrace ourselves. 

Positives for Derby are Solomon, Cresswell and maybe Hutchinson. Ebosele good to get some minutes back under his belt. 

I’m sure others have said it but hugely disappointed in Duncan. I only had radio Derby to go on but it sounded like he couldn’t even be bothered to run. For all this lad thinks he’s a superstar, he will never make it if he doesn’t do the basics. He did nothing. If I’m being harsh because he’s been out for a while then fair dos, otherwise the lad needs to hear some home truths!!

Love your positivity but if you’re going on someone else’s opinions I.e. a radio commentator not sure how you can draw such firm conclusions 

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

So now your motive is simply pride?

I really don’t think there will much reflection on this game in years to come about a championship team being humbled by a non league team. Maybe in a hundred years time it might occasionally be mentioned without the context same as the cup final defeat you’re referring to is very very rarely referred to.

Right decision to play it. 

Absolutely pride.  That should always be a motivation.  The cup final we lost is regularly mentioned.  If you go to the football museum the ball is right there in your face alongside Maradonas 86 world cup shirt and Best's European cup boots. 

Not sure proud is a word I’ll use today. We were outplayed in every regard and didn’t have the quality to actually create or break through the lines (first half opportunity excluded).

It frustrates me that every time after these sort of things happen, we always go “you did us proud lads” and so on. No I didn’t see anything that suggested that.

What I saw is that full grown men are better than kids. I don’t have an issue with that. On top of this, circa ten of our under 23’s are not even available due to isolation/the virus.

Its just realism of the situation. So well done Cresswell, Hutchinson and Ebosele as what I saw in there games was a suggestion they could go on to bigger things.

No one else really took an opportunity to shine sadly.

Anyway, what I am proud of is that Derby as a club didn’t go running to the FA looking for a cancellation. I think it should have been and it won’t be a surprise if some of the party today end up with the virus but for the club saying “we’ll honour the game” regardless of the team that we can put out - that is respectful.

I just hope either QPR lose today so the game on the 23rd Jan can take place or Rotherham lose (looking likely) so we can squeeze that rearranged game into the 23rd slot.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I don't think we were at all. They weren't that good bar an obvious long/high ball plan. Disappointed we didn't have more pace out wide I think that would have found out their lack of defensive skills. We competed well, can't say Cresswell got much protection from the ref, what a surprise. No-one puled out of tackles or stopped running, we tried to attack to the final whistle.

Think you might be watching with rose tinted spectacles there mate haha. We were lucky not to lose by 5 or 6. The lads tried their best, but it wasn’t really a match. We were nowhere near their physical strength and ability on the ball. Like I say, they’re levels above our young lads.

It is what it was always going to be. Having said that I was slightly disappointed with the tactics. Long ball will suit non league teams all day, their CB’s will have tougher challenges in the league. Yates lumping it long and trying to feed of scraps was never going to work. We should have tried playing our game and imposing it on them. 

The silver lining is no fixture pile up. We were never going to win it so in a season such as this focus on our league position which is by a mile our priority. 

20 minutes ago, tombomb said:

Was expecting better from our academy. I dont mind loosing the physical side of it, that was to be expected. The players couldnt string two passes together in 90 minutes of football and to me that is quite worrying, there was no composure at all, these players arnt 15. They are professionally paid academy products that are supposedly a year from pushing into the first team. Im sorry, I didnt see one moment of quality from anyone on that pitch in 90 minutes. I know its only one game but they are playing against PE teachers. Worrying in my opinion. 

These guys aren't our best academy players. Our best u23's would include: Idem, McDonald, Buchanan, Knight, Bird, Sibley, Whittaker, Gordon, A Brown, J Brown, JHI etc etc. This was our u23's and u18's 'B' or even 'C' team.

Just want to say thank you for giving us a game today.  At 1-0 the Lambs were always a danger and it was only when we got the second goal I settled down.

Every credit to all of your youngsters for coming out in the second half with guns blazing; every one of them wore the shirt with pride and some of them will no doubt go onto first team football.

Want to wish you all the very best for the rest of the season (said through gritted teeth with Forest being by boyhood team ?) and hoping Rooney and the first team come out of isolation with no ill effects.

29 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I disagree. Very low to zero risk to the players. Also, as I’ve posted on another thread, football does give some people a thing to look forward to during these difficult times so, IF it can continue with very low risk then it should continue.

Probably agree to disagree on this one ?

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Absolutely pride.  That should always be a motivation.  The cup final we lost is regularly mentioned.  If you go to the football museum the ball is right there in your face alongside Maradonas 86 world cup shirt and Best's European cup boots. 

Well I guess it would be there if you go to the football museum. I doubt though that today’s result will have an exhibit ?. I really don’t remember the last time I heard that final discussed.

Yes pride is important but I personally think it was important for us to fulfil the fixture rather than just forfeit it.

If we’d lost 10:0 I admit I might be feeling differently but we didn’t.

8 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

The youngsters did better than I thought they would. But the record books will show us having lost to a non-league team, with no asterisk against the score, and no footnote stating Derby had to field an understrength team due to the coronavirus.

Does it really matter?

9 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Absolutely brilliant from a team that trains everyday in top class facilities against plasterers that train tues and thurs for 2 hours followed by a chip cob and a gallon in the clubhouse. Unlucky not to have had more than zero shots I thought as some of the skills on offer were tremendous. Standing on the ball, fresh air attempts, kicking the grass instead of the ball, shin rollers, controlling the ball midfield so it goes out for a throw in. Genius tactics. Cant believe pep hasn't thought of these before. Lull them in. 

The centre forward looks a good prospect. 9ft tall, 7 st, touch like a trampoline, legs dont know which way to go. 

The futures bright, that's for sure. Barca esq. 

Someone has already mentioned that you're a troll and this confirms it because you know this isn't true

Quite funny to watch BT trying to make a big deal of it for Chorley at full time.

Thought we did ok for a side mashed together, strikers were isolated and we had no passing rhythm to get forward as they aren’t a settled side. Reality was that Chorley had everything to their advantage. Even the ref let them control the pace of the game in my opinion, yet I still thought we managed the game quite well. They only really made those two meaningful chances. Again for a mashed together team of kids I don’t think can be sniffed at.

So what can you do, hope it’s given them all a taste and want to gain experience.

Archived