v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We don't need any more shitty records attached to the club . We have enough.  The history books won't say we have a team of youngsters.  It doesn't say our goalie had a broken arm in a 6-0 final defeat.  Awful decision not to forfeit the game.

So now your motive is simply pride?

I really don’t think there will much reflection on this game in years to come about a championship team being humbled by a non league team. Maybe in a hundred years time it might occasionally be mentioned without the context same as the cup final defeat you’re referring to is very very rarely referred to.

Right decision to play it. 

I can’t believe people are criticising this. The team we put out wasn’t even our first choice academy team. This was our 3rd/4th team!  Majority of those players will never play in the football league. They deserve huge credit, made a game of it and we didn’t disgrace ourselves. 

Positives for Derby are Solomon, Cresswell and maybe Hutchinson. Ebosele good to get some minutes back under his belt. 

I’m sure others have said it but hugely disappointed in Duncan. I only had radio Derby to go on but it sounded like he couldn’t even be bothered to run. For all this lad thinks he’s a superstar, he will never make it if he doesn’t do the basics. He did nothing. If I’m being harsh because he’s been out for a while then fair dos, otherwise the lad needs to hear some home truths!!

My only criticism would be we didn't once test their keeper. You could see they put Yates under the cosh as soon as he made a slight error. We could have done the same had we given their keeps something to think about. Maybe Duncan plus Crouchy would have been a better starting option? I would say the midfield lost their battle but their know how was always going to come out on top. Regardless, very well done to all a depleted U18's and Pat Lyons!

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Big chunks of players out aside, so this game is an exception. I would think ANY revenue stream would be welcome to the club, not much else coming in. Relegation?? So playing an FA Cup game has a relevance.. Oh I see, we play too many games. Like I said, whatever the scenario.

Okay I admit it, I want to abolish the FA Cup forever and expunge any history of the competition from the records. Reduce any of the winners respective domestic trophy counts accordingly. 

Only then will I be satisfied. 

Right...

Unlucky lads, first half we got sucked into Chorleys game due to our lack of experience and it got very scrappy, due to our lack of experience and young lads being thrust into an awkward situation.

After a chance to take a step back and let the coaching staff offer some words of wisdom we had a better second half and matched them in the main. Bit toothless in the final third, but can’t fault the endeavor!

All in all these boys can hold their heads high. They gave it a good go, didn’t look out of place and the score line reflected the fact that we were competitive.

Good luck to Chorley!

It’s a shame, but we were always going to lose that. These young lads aren’t ready yet, some probably never will be. Disappointing to not get a cup run, but it is what it is.

We were simply miles off the standard of Chorley, can’t compete physically with such a young team, and their quality in possession was levels above ours as well. As you’d expect, with it being men against boys. Good experience for the kids though, I’m sure they’ll learn from it, and hopefully improve in the future.

6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Some of the kids have been quite promising which is an upside but overall,following Derby is getting to be a quite depressing experience both on and off the field isn't it.

Spending the day in the High Court fending off a winding up order then conceding a goal at home direct from a corner to lose an F.A.Cup quarter final tie knocks this season into a cocked hat.

Absolutely brilliant from a team that trains everyday in top class facilities against plasterers that train tues and thurs for 2 hours followed by a chip cob and a gallon in the clubhouse. Unlucky not to have had more than zero shots I thought as some of the skills on offer were tremendous. Standing on the ball, fresh air attempts, kicking the grass instead of the ball, shin rollers, controlling the ball midfield so it goes out for a throw in. Genius tactics. Cant believe pep hasn't thought of these before. Lull them in. 

The centre forward looks a good prospect. 9ft tall, 7 st, touch like a trampoline, legs dont know which way to go. 

The futures bright, that's for sure. Barca esq. 

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I’m sure others have said it but hugely disappointed in Duncan. I only had radio Derby to go on but it sounded like he couldn’t even be bothered to run. For all this lad thinks he’s a superstar, he will never make it if he doesn’t do the basics. He did nothing. If I’m being harsh because he’s been out for a while then fair dos, otherwise the lad needs to hear some home truths!!

Harsh on Duncan. Mo Salah would have struggled in the same position with that "much" support.

Archived