v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After yesterday We need this game like a hole in the head quite honestly 

If this was Preston / Ipswich or someone else non descript I’d say put the kids out and if we get beat we get beat currently way more pressing issues but being Chorley the last thing we want to see as a club is getting dumped out by a non league outfit 

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Are you sure? I thought he was suspended for two games: Birmingham and Sheffield.

From Rooney's reaction to the Preston defeat on DCFC website. 

The frontman will now serve a three-ban ban and miss the upcoming Sky Bet Championship fixtures at Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday either side of the New Year, as well as the Emirates FA Cup Third Round tie at Chorley next month.

10 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

From Rooney's reaction to the Preston defeat on DCFC website. 

The frontman will now serve a three-ban ban and miss the upcoming Sky Bet Championship fixtures at Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday either side of the New Year, as well as the Emirates FA Cup Third Round tie at Chorley next month.

Sorry, you’re right. Three match ban for a dangerous tackle.

8 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

You are not the only person to say this! 

I don't understand how the resting works, and how it benefits the players ...

Perhaps there are some Loughborough students on the forum who can explain it!

Do players need two weeks' rest, and how does a rest benefit them?

Do they carry on with their normal training routine? Or do they use the "rest" to do extra training to increase strength, fitness or skills - but avoid the stress of a match?

Or do they use the "rest" to spend more time at home? But don't they spend a lot of time at home anyway?

I've been watching a video diary of a football player, and he seems to do lots of extra fitness at home, and seems to do an hour's extra training before most of the squad arrives (maybe to look good for the vlog). And I remember Mount and Wilson saying something like, that because they lived together, they could spend extra time training together.

Maybe, I have trouble with the term "rest"! Do the players need a "rest" from work - or does a "rest" actually mean a playe skipping a match so that they can't do more work?

If, instead of calling it a "rest", it was called a "training-plus week", or something, then I might find this an easier sell. (The training-plus week can be less physical if necessary, but if they're not playing a match, it should free them up to do more of other stuff.)

And ... if a player needs a "rest" isn't it better to let them have a few days off training, rather than missing a match? Surely, an average non-match day of work for a football player includes 90 minutes of high level exertion?

Tosome degree, isn't a match-day easier than a non-match-day? And isn't a match-day not more enjoyable for them?

And, even if there are benefits from having a "rest", do the benefits clearly outweigh any risk to team cohesion, or motivation, and so on?

I think there are lots more questions to ask about this.....you obviously haven’t thought it through fully ?

Under 23s played Alfreton Town in a pre-season friendly start of last season I think it was and were totally bullied by them. Ended 1-1 but we were lucky. Young lads looked like they didn't want to be there and Alfreton totally dominated in the air at both ends of pitch. It was a real struggle to get the ball down and play football as Alfreton never gave us the space to play in that you get at under 23 level.

If we want to make changes play fringe players who need to impress - Roos, Lawrence, Holmes, Evans, Te Weirik if still here - around our core. 

I think it will help our confidence all round if we can get a few goals, so for that reason I would keep Kamil-Richards in that hold up role and he won't mind the physical attention,  in fact he will relish it.

The only player I would definitely rest is Bielik.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

In recent years we've been dumped out by Crawley and scraped through against Forest Green. 

Plenty of upset potential if we don't take it seriously. Keep the defence together and give them the practice. 

Not to mention Barrow in the other cup earlier this season.

I don’t think the defence need extra “practice” given our recent goals/chances conceded record. Plus, this is unlikely to be a typical championship game (although I can see the merit in gaining experience against lower league opposition should we find ourselves relegated ?). 

I think it would be sensible to “rest” some key players (Knight, CKR, Knight, Jozwiak and Bielik for example) to avoid the risk of injury and Roos will certainly play but, we do need to take it seriously as it does feel a bit like an upset waiting to happen.

I would expect a much changed team but some of the regulars on the bench “just in case”.

14 hours ago, Lancashire lad said:

Hello there,  firstly may I say after tonight's spying mission that I thought your lads deserved something the Sheff Weds match and were on the wrong end of a couple of dubious decisions .

On to the Fa Cup now..This will be the Magpies 1st ever match in round 3, in the previous 3 seasons Chorley have lost in Round 1 to Fleetwood Town, Doncaster Rovers in a replay after drawing 2-2 at home and Mansfield Town.

Many people think Derby will just need to turn up and looking at the names in your squad maybe that's a point. But this is the FA CUP and you just never know.

Since Chorley beat local rivals Wigan Athletic we have gone unbeaten in the league and FA Cup and now the club are chasing the play offs for the Conference.

It's to fair to say this cup run has SAVED the club. In May the club released 14 of the players that clinched promotion to the Conference along with Stockport County

Covid came and players went the future was bleak , now with wins against Gateshead, York City, a lucky bye to round one Wigan Athletic and Peterborough United all the doom and gloom has vanished.

I'm sure the pitch and the facilities will be a culture shock and who knows maybe a bit of a leveller ,but I do know this match is a free hit and like I said before " you just never know"

Our club have put a Crowdfunder up since March. They have been asking fans who cant attend matches to donate there Pie and Pint money. If any of your 1150 supporters ( would of been your allocation for the match) would like to donate please Google " help the Magpies fly through Covid " .

And here's the link to save you googling

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/helpthemagpiesfly

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

E48C10C1-0947-437E-9C49-EF4AD0FBA972.thumb.jpeg.53ff6ba1f818c34121341bf5c46cb16b.jpeg

I can see us being turned over if we field that side.

Waghorn is unavailable as has been mentioned, Ibe when was the last time he kicked a football in a senior game? Holmes has been really poor in his last few games, MTW jury is still out on him.

I genuinely don't think Rooney has the resources to be able to play a much weakened side AND avoid defeat so looks like is on a hiding for playing an almost full strength team then a player gets injured or playing a weakened team and getting dumped out.

Welcome to the world of football management.

We need to take a long hard look at the above players to decide if they have a future. 

• Roos needs a game as he doesn’t even get to play reserve football 
  • McDonald - let’s have another look
  • buchanan needs a game - I think he should have started v wednesday
  • te Wierik we need to take another look at 
  • Clarke will have to play as we haven’t got anyone else
  • Bielik shouldn’t be risked . evans seems like the most natural replacement. I’m sick of watching bird go sidewards, backwards and fail to support the attack. He doesn’t seem to be improving. I’d rather see someone else.
  • knights performances have dipped slightly - he needs a rest. Holmes may or may not have a future. Put him in the shop window in his preferred position.
  • sibley in midfield is something I would like to see to see how he does. He seems to have been reinvented as a striker at the moment. Not sure why. 
  • ibe - sooner or later we have to take a look at what we’ve got. 
  • Waghorn - ok didn’t realise he was suspended. Pick someone else. 
  • Lawrence - why not? 

15 hours ago, Lancashire lad said:

Hello there,  firstly may I say after tonight's spying mission that I thought your lads deserved something the Sheff Weds match and were on the wrong end of a couple of dubious decisions .

On to the Fa Cup now..This will be the Magpies 1st ever match in round 3, in the previous 3 seasons Chorley have lost in Round 1 to Fleetwood Town, Doncaster Rovers in a replay after drawing 2-2 at home and Mansfield Town.

Many people think Derby will just need to turn up and looking at the names in your squad maybe that's a point. But this is the FA CUP and you just never know.

Since Chorley beat local rivals Wigan Athletic we have gone unbeaten in the league and FA Cup and now the club are chasing the play offs for the Conference.

It's to fair to say this cup run has SAVED the club. In May the club released 14 of the players that clinched promotion to the Conference along with Stockport County

Covid came and players went the future was bleak , now with wins against Gateshead, York City, a lucky bye to round one Wigan Athletic and Peterborough United all the doom and gloom has vanished.

I'm sure the pitch and the facilities will be a culture shock and who knows maybe a bit of a leveller ,but I do know this match is a free hit and like I said before " you just never know"

Our club have put a Crowdfunder up since March. They have been asking fans who cant attend matches to donate there Pie and Pint money. If any of your 1150 supporters ( would of been your allocation for the match) would like to donate please Google " help the Magpies fly through Covid " .

we will take this seriously and certainly not underestimate you. I would expect us to rest a number of players but will still field a strong team. I wish you well going forward 

29 minutes ago, Lancashire lad said:

Thanks alot for putting this on mate, the Derby County supporter who donated 10£ last night was the 200th person to donate . 

Much appreciated?

I've bunged you a tenner - not so much pie and pint, more of a ciabatta and mineral water (I'm in the cultured South after all ?) but good luck to your club anyways.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

We need to take a long hard look at the above players to decide if they have a future. 

• Roos needs a game as he doesn’t even get to play reserve football 
  • McDonald - let’s have another look
  • buchanan needs a game - I think he should have started v wednesday
  • te Wierik we need to take another look at 
  • Clarke will have to play as we haven’t got anyone else
  • Bielik shouldn’t be risked . evans seems like the most natural replacement. I’m sick of watching bird go sidewards, backwards and fail to support the attack. He doesn’t seem to be improving. I’d rather see someone else.
  • knights performances have dipped slightly - he needs a rest. Holmes may or may not have a future. Put him in the shop window in his preferred position.
  • sibley in midfield is something I would like to see to see how he does. He seems to have been reinvented as a striker at the moment. Not sure why. 
  • ibe - sooner or later we have to take a look at what we’ve got. 
  • Waghorn - ok didn’t realise he was suspended. Pick someone else. 
  • Lawrence - why not? 

Knight performances of late has dropped lol, he was star man against Brum, and he was also OK, Wednesday. Some fans have great memory's. 

Archived