v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

David

10 minutes ago, Kooklaram said:

I used to play at a fairly decent level  Peter Crouch once spent 90 mins in my back pocket (cough we only lost 5-0)However i am now 50 and have a pair of kneecaps as strong as twiglets , still happy to step up to the plate though.

What a guy.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

I truly think the FA is shooting themselves in the foot.

The status of the FA Cup is already under threat.

They can move in two directions: (1) taking steps to improve and secure the competition's status; or (2) let it decline.

Taking the stance that it is acceptable for teams to play a weakened side (even during Coronavirus) ... is a step towards three FA Cup having even lower status.

The FA need to be custodians of the long term health of the FA Cup, and not be so focussed on getting rooms completed by certain dates during a lockdown.

I guess they're thinking it's better to allow this to happen for just one tie rather than add to any fixture build up. 

Much as I love Derby I don't think a third round tie between Chorley and Derby is going to impact on the integrity of the competition that much.

It could be argued that this may well occur in later rounds for many other clubs but, once again, they don't want a build up of fixtures.

If this season's tournament is damaged by a number of teams having to play more junior players then that is probably better than abandoning it altogether for a year. Once the virus is out of the way the FA will be able to re-impose it's previous rules on fielding weakened teams.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I guess they're thinking it's better to allow this to happen for just one tie rather than add to any fixture build up. 

Much as I love Derby I don't think a third round tie between Chorley and Derby is going to impact on the integrity of the competition that much.

It could be argued that this may well occur in later rounds for many other clubs but, once again, they don't want a build up of fixtures.

If this season's tournament is damaged by a number of teams having to play more junior players then that is probably better than abandoning it altogether for a year. Once the virus is out of the way the FA will be able to re-impose it's previous rules on fielding weakened teams.

Fair enough ... but, if "avoiding fixture build up" can be used as an argument - top teams can achieve this by not playing in the competition at all.

You may or may not be aware that out local Rivals Bamber Bridge FC  had a similar episode to you in round 1 qualifying.

They had to Forfit the tie as they couldn't field a team due to Covid outbreak. This was a financial disaster for them. The FA have been very Forcefull this season in the cup

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

These aren't ordinary times though.

But ... throughout all the period of lockdown ... and out of all of the league and cup games ... How many games have been cancelled due to teams being in isolation.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is well under 1%. 

So ... lockdown, or not ... ordinary times, or not ... that should not be a justification for letting standards slip within the competition (and allowing weakened teams to be fielded).

1 minute ago, Ken Tram said:

So ... lockdown, or not ... ordinary times, or not ... that should not be a justification for letting standards slip within the competition (and allowing weakened teams to be fielded).

We'll field a competitive team.

4 minutes ago, Lancashire lad said:

You may or may not be aware that out local Rivals Bamber Bridge FC  had a similar episode to you in round 1 qualifying.

They had to Forfit the tie as they couldn't field a team due to Covid outbreak. This was a financial disaster for them. The FA have been very Forcefull this season in the cup

I don't follow it closely, but the FA doesn't seems to have a very good reputation, nor or a track record of good management.

19 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Fair enough ... but, if "avoiding fixture build up" can be used as an argument - top teams can achieve this by not playing in the competition at all.

You seem to be forgetting this is an exceptional year and it’s far more palatable to allow this to happen, as hopefully a one off season, for a limited number of games than to change the rules and allow teams not to enter at all.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We'll field a competitive team.

If competitive is defined as being as good as, or better ... then if we field a competitive team, it should mean that we will be likely to win the match!

I guess that's the most important thing ... 

Although, this not the same as playing a non-weakened team ... and (Coronavirus, or not) ... I'd rather we were playing our first team in cup matches (although I know that many disagree with this viewpoint).

Just now, Ken Tram said:

If competitive is defined as being as good as, or better ... then if we field a competitive team, it should mean that we will be likely to win the match!

Although, this not the same as playing a non-weakened team ... and (Coronavirus, or not) ... I'd rather we were playing our first team in cup matches (although I know that many disagree with this viewpoint).

Whatever.

1 minute ago, Rammed79 said:

I think all the top teams should field youth sides so hopefully some of the the lower league teams have a good chance of making some much needed cash on a cup run.

That would be a nice gesture especially with our current financial situation. 

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You seem to be forgetting this is an exceptional year

I'm not trying to argue! Honest!

But, I'm not sure I understand how it is an exceptional year in terms of justifying the playing of reserves and youth players?

Football has been different this year.

But, if my estimate is correct - that the proportion of games cancelled due to the self isolation of League clubs is of the order of 1% - can such a small effect justify playing weakened teams.

(I know that many applaud the playing of weakened teams for many reasons in normal years - but I'm not sure I see why lockdown provides an significant additional justification.)

(Maybe I am trying to argue, a little bit!)

11 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

But ... throughout all the period of lockdown ... and out of all of the league and cup games ... How many games have been cancelled due to teams being in isolation.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is well under 1%. 

I think the issue is setting a precedent. If we were allowed to postpone the game until a later date then fine, one game isn’t going to make a big impact on fixture build up. However, if there say half a dozen or more in the next round then it might. Isn’t that why there are no replays this season?

I think the less than ordinary times this season fully justify the amendments to the rules (weakened teams and no replays) in order to ensure the competition, however lower the standards might be, to be completed.

7 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

No. Competitive means we have a chance of winning not that we will be likely to win necessarily.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

I think the less than ordinary times this season fully justify the amendments to the rules (weakened teams and no replays) in order to ensure the competition, however lower the standards might be, to be completed.

This is a good point!

If the status of the FA Cup was vibrant, and secure, and will respected by clubs - your point holds even more strongly!

My concern is that this is happening within the context of a wider demise in the competition.

Archived