v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

David

11 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I kind of feel sorry for Chorley if we do play the tie, cup ties are always about giving teams and players a chance to test themselves against those they wouldn't normally and I'm sure the victory will be soured if it's against what's not even our second string team. It's now put us into a no lose position, if we play and win it's great for the youngsters and if we lose it's no surprise really. I believe cup runs can be used as a tool to improve our league form but at this moment in time we're fighting for survival and potentially a couple of injuries from being in a really bad position so risking anyone key would be monumentally stupid. 

I agree if they lose but, if they win then I'm sure the consolation of reaching the fourth round proper will easily outweigh the disappointment of beating a team of youth player.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a deadline for registering new players for the match?

If not, could members of the forum put their name into a ballot for a chance to play?

If we're going to lose ... it would be hilarious to have some fans playing ... and memorable!

Like the "virtual ticket for Chorley" ... we could turn the match into a charity fundraiser!

2 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Is there a deadline for registering new players for the match?

If not, could members of the forum put their name into a ballot for a chance to play?

If we're going to lose ... it would be hilarious to have some fans playing ... and memorable!

Like the "virtual ticket for Chorley" ... we could turn the match into a charity fundraiser!

I used to play left back, just saying.

Another idea for a challenge could be to record the highest number of substitutes in a game!

I read that although the FA Cup allow will only allow three substitutes (not five) ... there is a loophole!

Apparently, if a player gets concussion, two extra substitutions will be allowed.

So ... we could agree with Chorley to pay lots of high balls ... encourage the enthusiastic young players to knock themselves out (literally), and use the entire bench in substitutions.

Added bonus: It will deplete our wider squad, meaning that the EFL may let us delay League games until the first team are back!

I actually like the idea of our academy playing Chorley. It's a good test for them to see how their physical side of the game is coming along. No doubt that many of the lads have great technical skill and lots of potential, but this will test them more than a PL2 game against an academy with 3 over age prem players (like we recently played against Arsenal).

Just a shame that our best starlets have been training with the first team and will miss their chance.

GK: Idem/Bradley Foster

RB: Festy Ebosele (if fit)/Max Bardell (U18 captain)

CB: Ethan Wassall (finally! ?)

CB: Harrison Solomon (Young but has played well at U23 this season)

LB: Archie Brown (better at attacking than defending, but this is a great chance for him)

DM: Jordan Brown (utility player, covers defence well)

CM: Isaac Hutchinson (Good experience at League 2 level)

CM: Osazee Aghatise/Ola Ibrahim (one of these two can be the playmaker)

RW: Jayden Mitchell-Lawson (back from an unproductive loan)

LW: Tyree Wilson/Josh Shonibare (speed to burn)

ST: Stretton (If not been training with 1st team)/ Bobby Duncan/Cybulski

Subs from:

Marko Borkovic

Harry Halwax

Liam Thompson

Connor Dixon

Cameron Cresswell

Eiran Cashin

Callum Minkley

Think that covers it! Hope you all agree that it could be a very exciting match. I expect the young'uns to use that speed and energy, but possibly be a bit careless in defence. Either way, COYR!

I truly think the FA is shooting themselves in the foot.

The status of the FA Cup is already under threat.

They can move in two directions: (1) taking steps to improve and secure the competition's status; or (2) let it decline.

Taking the stance that it is acceptable for teams to play a weakened side (even during Coronavirus) ... is a step towards three FA Cup having even lower status.

The FA need to be custodians of the long term health of the FA Cup, and not be so focussed on getting rooms completed by certain dates during a lockdown.

19 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Things are bad when we’re using the Chorley corner flag!

Isn't there some archaic rule that allows one team to lend a player to an opponent of they are short of players.

I'm sure there something in it -maybe it's cricket?

Anyways ... as well as looking to Chorley's flags, we could ask to borrow some of their players.

13 minutes ago, roboto said:

I actually like the idea of our academy playing Chorley. It's a good test for them to see how their physical side of the game is coming along. No doubt that many of the lads have great technical skill and lots of potential, but this will test them more than a PL2 game against an academy with 3 over age prem players (like we recently played against Arsenal).

Just a shame that our best starlets have been training with the first team and will miss their chance.

LB: Archie Brown (better at attacking than defending, but this is a great chance for him)

Subs from:

Marko Borkovic

Harry Halwax

Liam Thompson

Connor Dixon

Cameron Cresswell

Eiran Cashin

Callum Minkley

Think that covers it! Hope you all agree that it could be a very exciting match. I expect the young'uns to use that speed and energy, but possibly be a bit careless in defence. Either way, COYR!

I suggested the academy play but with first teamers as subs. Nearly got it right.

12 minutes ago, roboto said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if a few more were with the first team: The Browns, Idem, Stretton, Festy, possibly a couple more still 

1 minute ago, Ken Tram said:

Isn't there some archaic rule that allows one team to lend a player to an opponent of they are short of players.

I'm sure there something in it -maybe it's cricket?

Anyways ... as well as looking to Chorley's flags, we could ask to borrow some of their players.

Get Inverurie a Chorley flag as a belated Xmas pressure 

Archived