Derby Fail to Pay Players On Time (Again)

DarkFruitsRam7

Several weeks ago someone ( can’t remember who or when) posted that there were personal reasons for Mel wanting to sell and that we would find this out when the takeover happens. Of course, I could just have misinterpreted or made it up.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Telegraph Sport can reveal that Derby are currently under a transfer embargo after failing to pay their players on time at the end of last month.

Senior players and executives have still not been paid but those salaries will be paid early this week, which will remove the embargo placed on the club by the EFL."

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"Telegraph Sport can reveal that Derby are currently under a transfer embargo after failing to pay their players on time at the end of last month.

Senior players and executives have still not been paid but those salaries will be paid early this week, which will remove the embargo placed on the club by the EFL."

Sounds like the investment didn't arrive and Mel has had to put his hand in his pocket again. 

20 hours ago, desirelines said:

Mel Morris has dragged our name through the mud and put us in a financially perilous position. We’re in a worse position now than when he took over. The man is, I’m sure, a fine businessman, but he’s a second rate owner of a football club. I honestly can’t wait to see the back of him, but I also worry about the competency of the successor he will choose. Dark days ahead I fear. 

He’s had no luck along the way, dodgy signings that were recommended by previous managers, good players also coming in and not replicating form elsewhere.

A certain Sam Rush appointed in good faith but ended in financial loss, law case and some seriously bad contracts handed out.

Appointing fans favourites in Managers like Pearson and Rowett, listened to the fans and did what he thought was right.

Took a risk on Lampard and it nearly came off only for Frank to leave us in an almighty mess during the close season.

But, in my eyes, his biggest success in his tenure is the outstanding Academy and training centre.  He took what we had and invested millions in it, it’s started to reap the rewards with players coming through the ranks and also incoming established players being impressed with Moor Farm.

Do you think GSE would have kicked on with investment after Wembley Mac1?  It’s a fact they were looking for a way out.

So, credit where credits is due.

50 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Sounds like the investment didn't arrive and Mel has had to put his hand in his pocket again. 

Probably correct unless it means the investment is going to complete (doesn't sound very likely mind given it was said the money was on it's way over a week ago).

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

He’s had no luck along the way, dodgy signings that were recommended by previous managers, good players also coming in and not replicating form elsewhere.

A certain Sam Rush appointed in good faith but ended in financial loss, law case and some seriously bad contracts handed out.

We've only got Mel's word to say Sam was a wrong un', the deal he negotiated for George Thorne was sweet enough without hindsight.

£2.5m up front, and 10k a game upto a max of £4m was a bargain.

Mel never did see through his threat to see Sam in court, and since then SR has gone on to a successful career in the game, recently joining forces with Andy Appleby in a merger, so his time here didn't do much damage to his reputation in the game.

Appointing fans favourites in Managers like Pearson and Rowett, listened to the fans and did what he thought was right.

Pearson was wanted by the fans, but he was taking over from part time boss Wassell. I don't recall any groundswell of supporter clamour for Rowett to take over from Mac2. In fact I think we were shocked Mac was shown the door.

Took a risk on Lampard and it nearly came off only for Frank to leave us in an almighty mess during the close season.

But, in my eyes, his biggest success in his tenure is the outstanding Academy and training centre.  He took what we had and invested millions in it, it’s started to reap the rewards with players coming through the ranks and also incoming established players being impressed with Moor Farm.

Do you think GSE would have kicked on with investment after Wembley Mac1?  It’s a fact they were looking for a way out.

Is that a fact, or is it just what Mel told us? The only place I've heard that from is from Mel directly, I've never seen or heard it backed up from the GSE side. Brett, for instance, was still attending games with the fans, odd behaviour from someone who wanted out to fly thousands of miles to sit with the fans.

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

I don't buy the posturing about Sam Rush, Morris was quick to give it the large one to everyone who he could get to listen to him about fiduciary mismanagement or whatever the term he used was but I am still waiting on his court case to appear against Rush.

As @Rev quite rightly points out Rush has gone on to further a very successful career. So maybe the issue actually lay far closer to Morris' door than he would care to admit. 

15 hours ago, Boycie said:

How did that court case go against Sam ? When it went wrong it was because  he was listening to the fans but when it when right he takes the credit ? not to mention it was Redknapp who convinced him to take him.

The academy, yes give you that, although even then, you can have the best academy in the world but if you are having to sell your players off cheaply to balance the FFP mess you got yourself in, then it starts to defeat the object.

If he had run all his other businesses the way you describe, relying on luck, listening to fans for advice and not having an overview of what key employees are doing, then he wouldn't be where he is now.

27 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

How did that court case go against Sam ? When it went wrong it was because  he was listening to the fans but when it when right he takes the credit ? not to mention it was Redknapp who convinced him to take him.

The academy, yes give you that, although even then, you can have the best academy in the world but if you are having to sell your players off cheaply to balance the FFP mess you got yourself in, then it starts to defeat the object.

If he had run all his other businesses the way you describe, relying on luck, listening to fans for advice and not having an overview of what key employees are doing, then he wouldn't be where he is now.

Aywot?

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't buy the posturing about Sam Rush, Morris was quick to give it the large one to everyone who he could get to listen to him about fiduciary mismanagement or whatever the term he used was but I am still waiting on his court case to appear against Rush.

As @Rev quite rightly points out Rush has gone on to further a very successful career. So maybe the issue actually lay far closer to Morris' door than he would care to admit. 

Settled outside of court.  Who knows what the terms where?

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

Depends if Mel personally  took the case to court or the club?

You know which?

Well yes, the statement said the club were. Why would Mel take it to court personally, maybe I missed something there, on what merit ?

Just now, BIllyD said:

Well yes, the statement said the club were. Why would Mel take it to court personally, maybe I missed something there, on what merit ?

Have the latest accounts been made public? Maybe it’s instalments? Could be instalments either way?

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

Oh Frank!  It wasn’t clear who you were on about, Did Harry have Mel’s arm behind his back at the interview?

But by the same token did the fans have Mels arm behind his back for the others, did Sam have his arm behind his back when pursuing the signings of Thorne and Ince.

I'm just pointing out in your post, that you attribute his failings to luck or someone else, yet the successes are all his.

16 hours ago, Boycie said:

There's definitely been good times on the pitch during Moris' reign and you're definitely right regarding the Academy and training facilities. It's the club's finances that get me worried though. A club that no longer own the stadium, players being paid late, transfer embargoes, account for last seasons still not been filed – all points towards a club/business on the precipice. 

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Settled outside of court.  Who knows what the terms where?

The point I'm trying to make which you've subsequently confirmed is that it's impossible for any independent person to validate this so is therefore inappropriate to use as a basis for defending Morris. 

Archived