Black Pudding

Day

Black Pudding  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Love the stuff, but the french one (boudin noir) as I know where to get it and hopefully trust what goes in it. On that basis I have generally not had it in Blighty. Recently, I went recently to Barton marina and got some fab sausages from the butcher shop there. I thought if they have it there i should try it. The question is to the black pudding aficionados, anywhere in Derby where i could get some which is good quality ?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can remember walking around the old Derby cattle market and seeing buckets of blood being made ready to be used in the making of black pudding. 

I'll eat black pudding boiled or fried, so long as it has nice big lumps of fat in it, lovely stuff.

I ducking love it!

Here is my favorite recipe.

Pan fry some bacon until close to crispy.

Add some filet mignon and diced black pudding.

Then mix balsamic vinegar with honey very well in a separate bowl.

Turn off the heat and pour the sauce over the bp, steak and bacon and let congeal.

Add to a rocket salad whilst still warm and drool.

It's equally nice with a runny egg and bacon.

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

Absolutely disgusting. Blood and lumps of fat. 

I was persuaded to like it when I was a kid (against my natural inclination). I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole now.

file under offal and other such stomach-churning belly-emptying vile stuff.

Reminds of once when rick stein was in Leeds market being persuaded to try pink or grey oesophagus. 
Some people will eat anything. 

I'd suck the end of your barge pole if it did happen to touch some black pudding.

Best brekkie ever:

Streaky bacon fried until it is just about crispy, fried egg (or two) sunny side up with crispy edges, black pudding fried in the bacon fat, oatcake fried in the bacon fat, same with fried bread. Your choice on Heinz ketchup or HP sauce.

Steaming hot mug of Yorkshire tea with a dash of skimmed milk.

Grill optional for warming plate.

Avoid having a blood pressure test for at least a fortnight.

i want to try this dish, oh and the Swedish blood pancakes too.

One of my favorite foods is Blóðmör, basically black pudding made from sheep blood and fat, rye and other meal plus salt, all stuffed into sheep intestine which is then sewed shut and ready for boiling.  Also very good pan fried after boiling and cooling, or just cold, or soured.  You can buy them pre-boiled, but homemade are by far the best.  Suspect it's similar with the black pudding.

blóðmör.jpg

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

Best brekkie ever:

Streaky bacon fried until it is just about crispy, fried egg (or two) sunny side up with crispy edges, black pudding fried in the bacon fat, oatcake fried in the bacon fat, same with fried bread. Your choice on Heinz ketchup or HP sauce.

Steaming hot mug of Yorkshire tea with a dash of skimmed milk.

Grill optional for warming plate.

Avoid having a blood pressure test for at least a fortnight.

I'm guessing that the skimmed milk is vital to that breakfast.

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

Spot on, though I can never find it anymore, I heard that Anthony Worrall Thompson paid for the rights to the recipe when Staffords closed down.

It's better if you get it from farm shops rather than some of the rubbish sold in super markets.

There's 3 or 4 traditional butchers round our way that do the business, all from local farms. I'd never buy the supermarket stuff.

One benefit of living in medieval rural Staffordshire. 

Just off out to check the wicker man in case any of you city boys pop by..............

Archived