v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Anyone else think last night was reminiscent of Mac 1?  Opposition rough housing, set up to stop us playing, and an inability for us to either cope or adapt to it?

Rooney better get working on a Plan B ?

Reminiscent of Guardiola camping out in their half and creating chances. We did not take them so we lost.

19 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

If we're pinning our hopes on the return of Waghorn and Lawrence to solve the creativity problem then we might as well get buckled up for a long hard winter.

We need a player with some magic to break down packed defences when we go behind - I haven't checked, but heard yesterday that we have lost all 11 games when conceeding the first goal - it wouldn't surprise me.

I mentioned those two because they are our players as is.

1 hour ago, StrawHillRam said:

But we already had half a season. We are going to pick up injuries, suspensions and have more bad days at the office. Bottom 3 at Xmas means we have skit to do and need others to continue their poor results. 

The above applies to every team in the championship and by the way we have played recently I really can't see us remaining in the bottom 3. The only thing that will stop us climbing the table is if the players get disillusioned and develop a can't be bothered attitude. 

1 hour ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

The above applies to every team in the championship and by the way we have played recently I really can't see us remaining in the bottom 3. The only thing that will stop us climbing the table is if the players get disillusioned and develop a can't be bothered attitude. 

Seen a bit of that already this season at times from individuals I think. 

Here is a thought which has just occurred to me: We were doing fine until that double injury which kicked our foot of the accelerator pedal, and it took until the start of the second half to get it back on again - by which time they had put that second man on Beilik. This cut off our main supply line through midfield, because Beilik has been running the midfield in recent matches, so our defenders suddenly hadn't got an outlet, hence the dilly-dallying of old creeping back into our play.

We need a plan b not just to break down a parked bus, but to find a way of getting the ball flowing through the middle of the pitch. Two Beiliks, please?

4 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Anyone else think last night was reminiscent of Mac 1?  Opposition rough housing, set up to stop us playing, and an inability for us to either cope or adapt to it?

Rooney better get working on a Plan B ?

Nope, they didnt stop us from playing.

We were comfortably the best team for about 70 minutes.

Under Mac, teams stuck 11 men behind the ball and stopped us from playing our game.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

We need a plan b not just to break down a parked bus, but to find a way of getting the ball flowing through the middle of the pitch. Two Beiliks, please?

Arise, Max Andrew Bird

5 hours ago, StrawHillRam said:

Our main hopes for survival lie  with Wycombe, Rotherham and Brum I think

Not at all.

It lies with 23 teams over 24 games. Keep the faith!

Sadly we'll end up in a mediocre pack of mid-table teams this season as opposed to front running promotion chasing also rans!

15 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm not really sure it is.

Let me clarify- I agree we are collectively defending better as a team and as a result our defence is being put under far less pressure than it was.

But when the chips are down as yesterday and we needed our actual back line to defend the Wednesday free kick, its keystone cops time again.

All teams concede goals, for a side in a relegation fight we have conceded relatively few goals, particularly the last 10 games. Our defence isn't the issue, we should have been 2-3 up by that point, we just missed a few key opportunities that could otherwise have gone in. 

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Most importantly he's pretty awful in the air.

Sorry I don't know how to quote two people :-

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

Wisdom slows the game down when we could be rapidly breaking forward. He is also the chief back passer.

@Rampage and @RoyMac5 it was mentioned early on in the game against Birmingham City by Don Goodman when Wisdom had all the time in the world to put a forward cross pass in, that would have created a great attacking chance for us, but he opted to turn around and pass back to goal as was seen regularly under Cocu.

He appears at times still to be stuck between the two styles and often when heading or clearing the ball, the ball goes up in the air and the ball needs defending again, we have seen an improvement in less errors in games recently, but he always looks prone to making them. Curtis may have cleared the ball for the Sheff Wed goal, but again as good as Curtis is defending the ball, he's also heavily reliant on Clarke to bring quality ball out of defence, or we become heavily reliant on one side for Buchanan or Forsyth to bring the ball out, if Bryne is not found or that pass to midfield or to attack is not taken.

I'll stick to what I said to mates prior to the Millwall game that we will win games and climb the table when we play without Wisdom, Lawrence and Waghorn in the team, as they all slow down the team, all struggle to defend, all struggle to hold the ball up and all struggle to create for others within the team. And it's 3 major parts of the team, defence, midfield and attack that suffers from it. Currently with two of the three missing from the team we are not far away from gaining them wins, but replacing Wisdom is still a must for me.

5 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Sorry I don't know how to quote two people :-

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

Wisdom slows the game down when we could be rapidly breaking forward. He is also the chief back passer.

@Rampage and @RoyMac5 it was mentioned early on in the game against Birmingham City by Don Goodman when Wisdom had all the time in the world to put a forward cross pass in, that would have created a great attacking chance for us, but he opted to turn around and pass back to goal as was seen regularly under Cocu.

He appears at times still to be stuck between the two styles and often when heading or clearing the ball, the ball goes up in the air and the ball needs defending again, we have seen an improvement in less errors in games recently, but he always looks prone to making them. Curtis may have cleared the ball for the Sheff Wed goal, but again as good as Curtis is defending the ball, he's also heavily reliant on Clarke to bring quality ball out of defence, or we become heavily reliant on one side for Buchanan or Forsyth to bring the ball out, if Bryne is not found or that pass to midfield or to attack is not taken.

I'll stick to what I said to mates prior to the Millwall game that we will win games and climb the table when we play without Wisdom, Lawrence and Waghorn in the team, as they all slow down the team, all struggle to defend, all struggle to hold the ball up and all struggle to create for others within the team. And it's 3 major parts of the team, defence, midfield and attack that suffers from it. Currently with two of the three missing from the team we are not far away from gaining them wins, but replacing Wisdom is still a must for me.

Who would you put in Wisdom's place? 

Archived