Jordon Ibe

Bubbles

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It certainly is.

It's been a miserable year in so many ways, for so many people.

It's good that it's getting mentioned, but ultimately, we've got to a) get covid beat for the sake of everyone's health, mental health included and b) mental health services need proper funding.

And stop dressing up emotional wellbeing cases as bona fide mental health breakdowns. Big difference.  

Modern day whiplash.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'm not trying to be unsympathetic but have had the luxury if that's the correct word of seeing both sides of the coin.

Depression is an extremely debilitating illness as I know from first hand experience. Most employers are supportive when employees suffer however the timescales on this support are not infinitesimal.

Employers cannot allow staff to be off work for an indeterminate period of time without progressing their own duty of care - home visits, phased return to works, appointments with Occupational Health etc.

Again this sounds harsh but this is how a lot of businesses operate - ultimately Ibe has been employed as a professional footballer and the club then cannot redeploy him in another role in the business as one could do with another "regular" employee. The club at some point could then decide that Ibe is not then making himself available for work therefore not fulfilling his contract and could seek to then terminate said contract.

As long as the club could evidence that they have tried to support Ibe and ultimately had done everything in their power to assist without a positive outcome then this would be seen as a reasonable dismissal, the same for any other "normal" employee in a business.

So I hope that the club is doing everything in their power to assist Ibe but be warned that this will not be seen as something without any defined endpoint. 

You’re right in that the club will have to go about their business and individuals will have to fulfil their responsibilities in regards to Jordon, as you’ve said above.

We don’t know what sort of goals were set or promises were made when he signed. However, while I see what you mean when you say he might not get the full two years if he can’t consistently perform his job, this is a possible multi-million pound asset of a player that we should give as much support and time to as possible. The guy could well be our most talented player all things equal and a huge financial asset if we’re being real.

As fans, which is the perspective I was personally speaking from, I think we should just be patient, supportive and hope for the best.

7 minutes ago, IronRam 140.6 said:

And stop dressing up emotional wellbeing cases as bona fide mental health breakdowns. Big difference.  

Modern day whiplash.

1950s attitude - Mental health isn't binary you know, it's not like one can only be severely depressed or happy as Larry. Many of us exist on the spectrum between these two states. Recognising that someone is struggling is important to help stop them moving to the wrong end of said spectrum.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It certainly is.

It's been a miserable year in so many ways, for so many people.

It's good that it's getting mentioned, but ultimately, we've got to a) get covid beat for the sake of everyone's health, mental health included and b) mental health services need proper funding.

I suspect that the emotional range that many people had before Covid has been restricted by isolation and all the negative feelings that have gone with being ill and out of touch. This may be the thin end of the wedge of depression for some people. For football fans this can be quite marked. I so wanted us to play well and beat the Wendies. I was counting off the hours to the game  but somewhat disappointed that we lost after such a good start. In darker times people look for solace in many different areas. COYR

3 hours ago, ShoreRam said:

1950s attitude - Mental health isn't binary you know, it's not like one can only be severely depressed or happy as Larry. Many of us exist on the spectrum between these two states. Recognising that someone is struggling is important to help stop them moving to the wrong end of said spectrum.

Not quite what I was implying.

I have however seen it first hand  from both ends of the spectrum. As a former servicemen, the most tragic cases of PTSD seemingly and deliberately left to manifest and play out without the support it deserved.

And as a civilian manager, utter piss takers using it for nefarious means. 

10 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'm not trying to be unsympathetic but have had the luxury if that's the correct word of seeing both sides of the coin.

Depression is an extremely debilitating illness as I know from first hand experience. Most employers are supportive when employees suffer however the timescales on this support are not infinitesimal.

Employers cannot allow staff to be off work for an indeterminate period of time without progressing their own duty of care - home visits, phased return to works, appointments with Occupational Health etc.

Again this sounds harsh but this is how a lot of businesses operate - ultimately Ibe has been employed as a professional footballer and the club then cannot redeploy him in another role in the business as one could do with another "regular" employee. The club at some point could then decide that Ibe is not then making himself available for work therefore not fulfilling his contract and could seek to then terminate said contract.

As long as the club could evidence that they have tried to support Ibe and ultimately had done everything in their power to assist without a positive outcome then this would be seen as a reasonable dismissal, the same for any other "normal" employee in a business.

So I hope that the club is doing everything in their power to assist Ibe but be warned that this will not be seen as something without any defined endpoint. 

Why?

Could get him in the office to help process the season ticket refunds.

9 hours ago, IronRam 140.6 said:

Modern day whiplash.

This is a disgusting post. If there was ever a reason to be warned by the mods this is it.

Very 1950s sweep under the rug, there does have to be a balance but your attitude of it’s either mental break down or nothing is just wrong. Any sane and normal person could be a small amount of misfortune and time away from a very very tough place. And it is societies place to ensure that the way we think about mental health is completely revised.  

32 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

This is a disgusting post. If there was ever a reason to be warned by the mods this is it.

Very 1950s sweep under the rug, there does have to be a balance but your attitude of it’s either mental break down or nothing is just wrong. Any sane and normal person could be a small amount of misfortune and time away from a very very tough place. And it is societies place to ensure that the way we think about mental health is completely revised.  

Key phrase "dressing up"

3 hours ago, beardyjim said:

I very rarely comment on here, just read the tripe posted. But I've been watching the Rams since the BBG days. I once got smacked in the face by a RVL free kick. Anyway, I digress. 

This is one of the most insulting and ridiculous posts I have ever seen. I have attempted to take my own life, I have also been pretty emotionally low, but sometimes a kind word picks me up. As others have mentioned one day you can be emotionally stable, the next day you physically cannot move from your bed. It is crippling and debilitating. 

But alas, its just a difference of being emotionally unstable and having an 'actual' mental health break down. 

I am only hear today thanks to my friends and family. You sir, are a dick.

Yet again, failing to see the point. Let's call it "stolen valour". Manipulation of situations to make it look like a severe mental health episode when in fact it is nowhere near that. Everyone is so scared to call it so run with it. To the detriment and dilution of say your circumstances. 

See my post regarding PTSD and hiding behind faux symptoms for nefarious gains.

11 hours ago, IronRam 140.6 said:

And stop the faux emotional wellbeing cases as bona fide mental health breakdowns. Big difference. (Dilutes the real issue.)

Modern day whiplash.

OK, So to reword it a little (in bold) "breakdowns" is a little strong  or perhaps the wrong vernacular (maybe I should have used "issues"?) but my personal experience is of comprehensive PTSD episodes, hence "breakdown".

Mental health has gone from zero to number 1 topic in a very short space of time which is being abused/manipulated in more quarters than is acceptable ( in my opinion) **reference provided.

Hence the modern day whiplash comparison. 

If my point has been badly misconstrued, blame my English teacher. 

1 hour ago, IronRam 140.6 said:

Yet again, failing to see the point. Let's call it "stolen valour". Manipulation of situations to make it look like a severe mental health episode when in fact it is nowhere near that. Everyone is so scared to call it so run with it. To the detriment and dilution of say your circumstances. 

See my post regarding PTSD and hiding behind faux symptoms for nefarious gains.

You really have no idea. Let’s use this scenario, we know Ibe has struggled with depression. He did an interview before he signed. Let’s say he reads this now and he see “modern day whiplash” he now thinks to him self “man up, it’s not that bad I shouldn’t burden others with it” the longer it goes on the worse it can get. I’ve seen it first hand.

Your also wrong about diluting this. This absolutely needs diluting, depression and mental well-being needs to be watered down in society people need to be able to ask each other if they are okay and we give an honest answer, just the same as you would with a physical Illness, so that as a society we can then help eachother. At the moment it is such a faux pas that it’s hard to bring up in conversation. Diluting it making it less of a big deal and will make it less of a big deal to bring it up, meaning that more people will open up and more people will get help. 

Just trying to bring this thread back vaguely to the original subject of the disciplinary investigation, but has anyone considered that maybe Jordan simply needs a new alarm clock? The level of assumption and speculation from folk is quite mind-boggling....

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Just trying to bring this thread back vaguely to the original subject of the disciplinary investigation, but has anyone considered that maybe Jordan simply needs a new alarm clock? The level of assumption and speculation from folk is quite mind-boggling....

True. I still can't figure out why he is deemed so much of a risk as a ten minute substitute. 

He may not be fit enough to play a longer game but still has the talent to whip in a match-winning cross or shot. In fact, he is more likely to do so than other subs used. 

With no crowd, it's no different to him popping up for the U23s. 

So is there another reason he's not being played? 

I'm sure it will all come out in time. 

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

True. I still can't figure out why he is deemed so much of a risk as a ten minute substitute. 

He may not be fit enough to play a longer game but still has the talent to whip in a match-winning cross or shot. In fact, he is more likely to do so than other subs used. 

My thoughts when the discipline issue was first announced was that he had been pencilled in to start and then missed an important training session meaning Wayne had to re-think the team selection. If it's not the first time he's been late, then the club will follow due course and take disciplinary action....and Wazza has already stated that it's up to players to show the necessary desire in training to force their way into the team so Jordan has effecttively made if harder for himself to get picked.....

6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

My thoughts when the discipline issue was first announced was that he had been pencilled in to start and then missed an important training session meaning Wayne had to re-think the team selection. If it's not the first time he's been late, then the club will follow due course and take disciplinary action....and Wazza has already stated that it's up to players to show the necessary desire in training to force their way into the team so Jordan has effecttively made if harder for himself to get picked.....

Another consideration would be that if we want to offload him, surely it would be better to give him the odd appearance so potential buyers can see he's 'back'. 

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Another consideration would be that if we want to offload him, surely it would be better to give him the odd appearance so potential buyers can see he's 'back'. 

Do we want to offload him though? - there's a player in there that would be an asset to the team if he's fit and focussed. The club will have standard procedures regarding disciplinary breaches and can't let him off just because he's had issues in the past. Hopefully this will be a relatively gentle kick up the backside and will get him moving in the right direction....

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Good point there about the lack of crowd, surely these are ideal times for players who may be the subject of crticism from the fans, to be integrated into the first team. Not just thinking about Ibe here, but of many Derby players in the past and current players with other clubs, who get picked on by the boo boys, destroying their confidence.

Archived