Mike Te Wierik - Signed for Groningen

16 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

Could have done an Anya, but chose the correct path, and wants to play,  Good luck to him

Think the crucial difference in the 2 players was that Anya was on a highly lucrative 4 year contract which no club in their right mind would match and why would he take a drop in money?

Back on subject of MTW I was hopeful we had signed a ball playing physical centre back to replace Keogh or Tomori, as it didn’t turn out that way we were reliant on Curtis, his injury was always going to be a major blow between then and the January window. The current centre backs are too inconsistent, some good games but both are like rabbits in the headlights when they have time to think with the ball at their feet. This problem is made worse by the lack of goals.

I would not renew Wisdom or Clarke  at the end of the season.

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Reg Matthew's Cap said:

Back on subject of MTW I was hopeful we had signed a ball playing physical centre back to replace Keogh or Tomori, as it didn’t turn out that way we were reliant on Curtis, his injury was always going to be a major blow between then and the January window. The current centre backs are too inconsistent, some good games but both are like rabbits in the headlights when they have time to think with the ball at their feet. This problem is made worse by the lack of goals.

Just my opinion.

As you say we have a right back playing at centre half who losses concentration far to often and isn’t very good with the ball in the air and another one who is on loan so is temporary and at best average in the championship - Rooney has some work to do collecting centre half’s not to mention centre forwards 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Think the crucial difference in the 2 players was that Anya was on a highly lucrative 4 year contract which no club in their right mind would match and why would he take a drop in money?

I think it's more than that with Te Wierik.  

Guy must have been thinking he'd made one of the worst mistakes of his life. Gone from captaining a side in the Eredevesie and playing every week in his home country pre-lockdown to being in locked down in a new country, not making the bench and the manager who'd brought him had left. Money can be cold comfort in that scenario.

Playing ability aside, I do kinda feel for the guy with how things transpired and this move is best for all parties.

1 hour ago, Reg Matthew's Cap said:

Just my opinion.

Opinion ? Yeah ok ... but Clarke and Rabbit in headlights when he has ball at his feet  ? ... you simply haven’t watched Matt Clarke. Most composed CB I’ve seen for a long time. Doesn’t panic, strong, good in the air, can play a pass or keep the ball. My opinion of your opinion isn’t printable ! 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Thinking about it, at least he will be paid at a new club

11 hours ago, jono said:

Opinion ? Yeah ok ... but Clarke and Rabbit in headlights when he has ball at his feet  ? ... you simply haven’t watched Matt Clarke. Most composed CB I’ve seen for a long time. Doesn’t panic, strong, good in the air, can play a pass or keep the ball. My opinion of your opinion isn’t printable ! 

Ok so you don’t like others having an opinion, I accept there are fans like that, Clarke has all the things you mention but sometimes none of them, as I said inconsistent.

Just my opinion.

35 minutes ago, Reg Matthew's Cap said:

Ok so you don’t like others having an opinion, I accept there are fans like that, Clarke has all the things you mention but sometimes none of them, as I said inconsistent.

Just my opinion.

No problem with you having an opinion. Just voicing my disagreement with it .. you seem to be back pedalling given that even inconsistently you concede he has skills .. but you originally referred to him as rabbit in headlights which he most certainly isn’t and never has been .. as to his consistency of performance, I’d also disagree. He’s had the odd game we’re he hasn’t been at his best, he  isn’t flawless but compared to most, he is a very consistent player. My opinion obviously, but one that is shared by a fair few on here 

34 minutes ago, jono said:

No problem with you having an opinion. Just voicing my disagreement with it .. you seem to be back pedalling given that even inconsistently you concede he has skills .. but you originally referred to him as rabbit in headlights which he most certainly isn’t and never has been .. as to his consistency of performance, I’d also disagree. He’s had the odd game we’re he hasn’t been at his best, he  isn’t flawless but compared to most, he is a very consistent player. My opinion obviously, but one that is shared by a fair few on here 

Thanks for your response, I don’t consider any of my reply as back pedalling as my views are based on what is required for a promotion chasing team. The rabbit/headlights comment is related to the tendency to revert to the Cocu style with centre backs taking too many touches then playing backwards which means we lose the faster movement which has given us our best results.

I accept someone has to make themselves available for the ball but failing that they have to take the initiative and be positive.

In summary, Wisdon - no, sorry not for me. Clarke - time will tell at what level he reaches, not our player anyway.

51 minutes ago, Reg Matthew's Cap said:

Thanks for your response, I don’t consider any of my reply as back pedalling as my views are based on what is required for a promotion chasing team. The rabbit/headlights comment is related to the tendency to revert to the Cocu style with centre backs taking too many touches then playing backwards which means we lose the faster movement which has given us our best results.

I accept someone has to make themselves available for the ball but failing that they have to take the initiative and be positive.

In summary, Wisdon - no, sorry not for me. Clarke - time will tell at what level he reaches, not our player anyway.

You're the first person to ever refer to someone as a "rabbit in headlights" because he hasn't got any options to pass to infront of him.

• David unlocked this topic