Mike Te Wierik - Signed for Groningen

Bubbles

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll trust the coaches on this one. Bought over by Cocu, much vaunted as a proper Cocu ball-playing CH to form the backbone of the defence, looked fragile, we were crap (not his fault), dropped by Cocu, disappeared altogether under Rooney. 

Inevitable that he'd head home at the earliest opportunity.  

55 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Bought over by Cocu, much vaunted as a proper Cocu ball-playing CH to form the backbone of the defence, looked fragile, we were crap (not his fault),

No, but we've seen CHs play above the standard of the rest of the team - he wasn't even a, can't think of a 'decent' CH that it'd be fair to compare him too, Con Blatis? ? 

I still think this is a bad move sadly.

Not given a fair chance, when he came back into the team at Bournemouth he looked good, then dropped again.

Never given a fair run of games in a team which was playing half decent football.

I get right now we probably need the half a million quid and 10-15k off our wage bill and thats probably more important but as it stands, we're heading into next season with basically Andre Wisdom as our only centre back!

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Not given a fair chance, when he came back into the team at Bournemouth he looked good, then dropped again.

Never given a fair run of games in a team which was playing half decent football.

I get right now we probably need the half a million quid and 10-15k off our wage bill and thats probably more important but as it stands, we're heading into next season with basically Andre Wisdom as our only centre back!

No we are not. Andre runs out of contract this summer.

17 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Rooney sees him every day in training, he's said he 'trains well' but he's obviously not convinced he's worth his contract here. Maybe he could flit in and out the team, maybe hold down a place for a bit? Against that he's got a long contract and becomes harder for us to move on. From what has been seen of him he's not worth that gamble.

Respect to the lad, he's interviewed here and openly states that he's not been good enough. I do feel for him as he's come over, struggled, then seen Cocu leave. Leaving your home country, trying to settle into a new style of football, in a foreign environment and all when you're clearly not showing your best form... Must be tough. Chuck in the Covid thing and it's not hard to see that he faced some challenges. Shame he couldn't rise above them but he's been respectful throughout so I wish him all the best for the future.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-transfers-te-wierik-4890436

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Mike te Wierik has passed the medical examination and will sign a 3.5-year contract with FC Groningen tomorrow.

5:26 PM · Jan 17, 2021

Free transfer ? Or are we to get anything in terms of money rather than a saving on wages 

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Free transfer ? Or are we to get anything in terms of money rather than a saving on wages 

Doesn't say, it's all Dutch to me. But wish him well he seems well-liked.

"In Groningen they know how to celebrate the return of Mike te Wierik to the local FC!"

Archived