Mike Te Wierik - Signed for Groningen

Bubbles

On 28/12/2020 at 03:25, Bubbles said:

I think he deserved more chances than he’s had. he was shaky at first however against Bournemouth he looked very solid.

Do feel sorry for him...

We need to look for a long term solution, someone who’s up and coming. 

He was playing in a poor team. Wonder how he would be now the defence is organised

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Physically the guy looked frail, didn't come across as being pacey either, can't remember him having any particular aerial prowess and was caught out by alehouse ball punts downfield. 

Apart from that he was a good signing at least we won't get shafted on the transfer which is one of the few (maybe only) redeeming feature.

On 28/12/2020 at 19:29, whiteroseram said:

Like others have said, clearly a good player in there but needed work to get to grips with the English championship. 

Unfortunately, with all the Dutch speaking coaches suddenly gone and a desperation for results, I don't think he'd make that progress hwre

Because he was a free though, depending what wages we have him, we could still end up turning a profit on the deal 

We have one of the best ” Dutch shhhhhpeeeking ” coaches ever known at DCFC currently mate! 

We have a great academy with some great young prospects coming through.

This may sound a tad harsh and slightly controversial but....I just don't get why we still persevere with Ethan (even though he seems a top lad) in the under23s when I don't think he's going to cut it....nowhere near quick enough ....we could do with un earthing some decent centre half talent and wonder if Wassall is blocking this pathway for someone 

12 minutes ago, S8TY said:

This may sound a tad harsh and slightly controversial but....I just don't get why we still persevere with Ethan (even though he seems a top lad) in the under23s when I don't think he's going to cut it....nowhere near quick enough ....we could do with un earthing some decent centre half talent and wonder if Wassall is blocking this pathway for someone 

You still need to put 11 on the pitch though, not everyone in the u-23's will have a realistic chance of a career at this level.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

You still need to put 11 on the pitch though, not everyone in the u-23's will have a realistic chance of a career at this level.

this is true and don't get me wrong Wassall is not a bad player just don't think he'll play for the first team but none the less we don't seem to produce many CB's

5 hours ago, S8TY said:

I hope we give him 10 year contract and he'll be the backbone of our U23 all that time.

Whatever keeps Darren happy is worth doing.

Ps. I don't think he is that far from first team, just that centrebacks rarely prosper at young age.

17 hours ago, S8TY said:

this is true and don't get me wrong Wassall is not a bad player just don't think he'll play for the first team but none the less we don't seem to produce many CB's

Solomon will be next off the CB line but I think it's one of those positions that players mature into and it's less often that we see real prospects at 17 or 18. You're right though in that the wealth of other potential coming through in other positions isn't matched in this area though the aforementioned looks a huge talent for whom I have great hopes.

59 minutes ago, richinspain said:

But why?

Eh?

he went to Carlisle to get first team football but has ended up back out on loan. He was the only young player we had who has the physique to be a centre half. I’ll be surprised in any of the others make it - with the possible exception of Solomon. They are all too small.

29 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Eh?

he went to Carlisle to get first team football but has ended up back out on loan. He was the only young player we had who has the physique to be a centre half. I’ll be surprised in any of the others make it - with the possible exception of Solomon. They are all too small.

My point was that he could have stayed with us, not played for us either because he isn't good enough, and cost us his (admittedly small) wages as well.

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

My point was that he could have stayed with us, not played for us either because he isn't good enough, and cost us his (admittedly small) wages as well.

Still not sure I follow you. None of the youngsters in central defence are currently good enough, but if we are going to choose one or two to try to develop then at least pick one who looks like a centre half. 

20 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Still not sure I follow you. None of the youngsters in central defence are currently good enough, but if we are going to choose one or two to try to develop then at least pick one who looks like a centre half. 

The academy staff obviously felt that he wouldn't be good enough, therefore they let him go. His career so far has vindicated that decision. He may one day make it, but unfortunately he hasn't done so far. A decision has to be made at some point, some will slip through the net.

On 31/12/2020 at 20:10, S8TY said:

We went into this season with Wassall, Bateman, Minkley and Cashin as our U23 CBs. Bateman has a history of picking up injuries and Cashin reportedly suffered a serious one himself in the summer. That may answer why Wassall was kept on ?

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Lol! Only develop tall players? ? 

On 01/01/2021 at 16:30, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Didn’t Sean Barker and Richard Keogh both start as right backs in the first team?

I think it is quite common for talented CH youngsters to get eased in in other positions first.

He started as right back at Rotherham. Played against us a few times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived