I'm a grassroots referee... Ask me anything.

Wazztie16

On 02/01/2021 at 01:21, rammieib said:

@Wazztie16 Good job mate - I’m a basketball ref for 15 years or so. Biggest improvement I’ve made over the years is man-management. Talking to players, who are happy to be talked to, letting coaches talk to you (as long as it’s respectful) and being prepared to say “I’m sorry, I may have it wrong but this is what I saw from my angle”. That last one literally gives the player nowhere to go.

Anyway my question for you - the offside rule, I get it and understand it but what is the point in the rule having two defensive players between goal and attacked. Why not change it to one outfield defensive player and ignore the GK. Happens very rarely but if a GK goes wandering, outfield attackers shouldn’t be penalised.

Sorry, one more, kick offs - I would change this rule slightly to say as soon as the ref blows a whistle, the team not taking the kick off can enter the opponents half/circle. Would stop these fake kick offs and retakes.

On the offside, I don't know. I don't make the laws, I just go with what I'm given, even if I don't agree, I don't have much choice. 

I think the offside law re 2 players is fine as it is though, I wouldn't change it. It's been that way for years, we don't need more stuff changing! 

Kick offs, again, I think fine as they are. The team kicking off should be allowed the advantage as they've won the toss/been given the decision /conceded a goal. 

Putting them under I pressure isn't necessary imo. 

If a player or team does a fake ko numerous times, refs have tools at their disposal to deal with it for persistent offending or unsporting behaviour. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Wazztie16 said:

I can only imagine the ref saw Wisdom impede the keeper. 

Intent doesn't come into it, just like intent doesn't come into a tackle. If a player slides in on another player, referees really have to decide if that slide was no foul, careless, reckless, or used excessive force /endangered the safety of the opponent. 

That is how the referee probably saw Wisdom on the gk, and thought Wisdom's movement was careless and impeded the keeper. 

I can see why it was given from a ref pov, but it's an easy foul to give, especially if the ref thinks they've dropped a clanger of some sort for the benefitting team earlier in the game

That probably does go on, but I think it’s wrong that a ref will try to balance up a mistake made earlier.

Now, you won’t probably know, but I wonder if refs see important decisions made in the first half during the half time break?

7 hours ago, Wazztie16 said:

I can only imagine the ref saw Wisdom impede the keeper. 

Intent doesn't come into it, just like intent doesn't come into a tackle. If a player slides in on another player, referees really have to decide if that slide was no foul, careless, reckless, or used excessive force /endangered the safety of the opponent. 

That is how the referee probably saw Wisdom on the gk, and thought Wisdom's movement was careless and impeded the keeper. 

I can see why it was given from a ref pov, but it's an easy foul to give, especially if the ref thinks they've dropped a clanger of some sort for the benefitting team earlier in the game. 

A split second before Kazim headed it in, a defender had his arms wrapped around Wisdom. Why would the ref ignore this and then compound his error by deciding that Wisdom had fouled the keeper?

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

That probably does go on, but I think it’s wrong that a ref will try to balance up a mistake made earlier.

Now, you won’t probably know, but I wonder if refs see important decisions made in the first half during the half time break?

I don't think they will see them, it's not a good idea to let yourself be influenced by something like that. 

17 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

A split second before Kazim headed it in, a defender had his arms wrapped around Wisdom. Why would the ref ignore this and then compound his error by deciding that Wisdom had fouled the keeper?

I don't know, maybe the ref didn't see the arm around Wisdom as enough of an offence whereas the perceived foul on the keeper was... 

Maybe it was angles, maybe he bottled it. We may never know.

3 minutes ago, Wazztie16 said:

I don't know, maybe the ref didn't see the arm around Wisdom as enough of an offence whereas the perceived foul on the keeper was... 

Maybe it was angles, maybe he bottled it. We may never know.

I know mate, unfair to ask you really!!

It drains my love for the game though when refs give decisions like that.

Archived